Greatest cast ever assembled for a kung fu movie?

SMK

Jimmy Wang Yu, Chen Kuan Tai, Ti Liung, David Chiang, Chi Kuan Chun, Chiang Sheng, Chan Sing, Danny Lee, Wang Chung, Lu Feng, Ricky Cheng, Leung Kar Yan, Andy Lau, Chia Kai. Directed by legendary film director Chang Cheh. SHANGHAI 13 (1984)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tex Killer said:

Many same persons but I think shaolin temple has bit superior cast to shanghai 13.

http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/movie.asp?id=1548&showmovfullcast=1

Just seeing the title of the thread and that was the movie that came to my mind.

Looking at the cast for both movies & I too feel that Shaolin Temple have a superior cast.

The main difference being that in Shaolin Temple some of the cast (like the Venom Mob, Li Yi-Min, Robert Tai, Jamie Luk, Mai Te-Lo) we either just starting out or not widely known yet while in Shanghai 13 many of the cast were already known/established.

• Like 5

The Millionaires' Express and Eastern Condors are two Golden Harvest movies with an ensemble cast of HK action and character actors.
EasternCondors+1987-94-b.jpg

TheMillionairesExpress+1986-90-b.jpg

• Like 6

NoKUNGFUforYU

These are all pretty good choices as movies go. I would have to say we are overlooking the water margin as I think that head every freaking male lead in Shaw Brothers history. That and all men are brothers. I think the only one that was missed out in those two movies was fusheng. Saying that he was a huge huge star in the 70s much bigger than people realize now in general. On the flip side Shaolin Temple did not have Chen Kuan Tai.

• Like 6

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 11:11 PM, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

These are all pretty good choices as movies go. I would have to say we are overlooking the water margin as I think that head every freaking male lead in Shaw Brothers history. That and all men are brothers.

Doesn't The Water Margin have a long sequence of crediting the actor of each main character one by one similar to The Brave Archer? (Though not on a plain coloured stage).

Edited by Silver and Gold Dragon
  • Like 4

NoKUNGFUforYU
24 minutes ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

Doesn't The Water Margin have a long sequence of crediting the actor of each main character one by one similar to The Brave Archer? (Though not on a plain coloured stage).

24 minutes ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

Yes, I didn't realize when I was a kid that the expectation was the audience knew all the characters from reading about them etc.

• Like 4

Nobody talks about 14 amazons ??

Not only the main Shaws' actresses are reunited (not only the 14 heroines, but also some other women in the movie), but also some great actors such as Yue Hua, Lo Lieh, Wang Hsieh, Tsung Hua, Ching Miao, Chun Pui, Tien Ching, James Nam and so on...

• Like 6

NoKUNGFUforYU

I still have to go with Shaolin Temple, at least for Shaw Brothers. So many styles and weapons displayed. That was one we kept going to see when it was a second feature (no VCRS back then). I mean just for cast, sure, Water Margin or 14 Amazons, but for Kung Fu? Shaolin Temple. Has the venoms and the iron triangle, Fu sheng, Chi Kuan Chun, etc.

• Like 4

I think My Lucky Stars deserves a mention. Jackie, Sammo, Yuen Biao, Sibelle Hu, Bolo Yeung, Lam Ching Ying, Dick Wei, Lau Kar Wing, Chin Ka Lok, Yuen Wah, James Tien, Michiko Nishiwaki... Not to mention the more comedic actors.

• Like 4

NoKUNGFUforYU
38 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I think My Lucky Stars deserves a mention. Jackie, Sammo, Yuen Biao, Sibelle Hu, Bolo Yeung, Lam Ching Ying, Dick Wei, Lau Kar Wing, Chin Ka Lok, Yuen Wah, James Tien, Michiko Nishiwaki... Not to mention the more comedic actors.

Good point! I was going old school. The reality is some of the later films had more experienced, better trained martial artists. I was just thinking of old school. I have to agree on Millionaire's Express. Everyone but Jackie, plus Hwang Jang Lee, Kurata, Cynthia Rothrock, etc! But no Jackie.....kind of limits the appeal internationally. Had he been in it, it would have been a BlockBuster rental in the 90's, let's get real.

• Like 5

Dragons Forever,Jackie,Sammo,Biao,Dick Wei,Billy Chow,Yuen Wah,The Jet,Ko Fei,the list goes on.and not one but two stunt teams.👍

Edited by sym8
  • Like 4

Cognoscente

The Magnificent Butcher has perfect casting...

Heroes: Sammo, Biao and Wai Pai.

Sensible Sifu: Kwan Tak-Hing.

Crazy Sifu: Fan Mei-Sheng

Bitchy babe: JoJo Chan.

Innocent cute babe: Tong Ching.

Five antagonists who are like the evil Venoms: Lam Ching-Ying, Fung Hak-On, Lee Hoi-San, Yuen Miu and Chung Fat.

Comic relief: Chiang Kam, Billy Chan Wui-Ngai, Ka Lee and Max Lee.

Old character actors: Tsang Choh-Lam, Ho Pak-Kwong and Fung Ging-Man.

Edited by Cognoscente
  • Like 4

Super Ninja

My vote goes to Shanghai 13 as well, not only because it's one of my fave. It's a goddamn festival of Shaw's kung fu superstars and I've never been that excited over a cast in any kung fu movie, not for Shaolin Temple nor 14 Amazons.

Michael Jai White described Triple Threat's assemble cast as the best since Five Deadly Venoms?! If I recall correctly, Ten Tiger of Kwangtung had a more impressive cast and perhaps White hasn't seen Shanghai 13?

• Like 3