Polar (2019) - Mads Mikkelsen

AlbertV

Based on the graphic novel by Victor Santos, this action film is coming to Netflix on January 25.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This felt like John Wick 10 if they kept making them for the next 15 years. Really enjoyed it. Was a bit weary that it was a "netflix original" but I geuss thats just sort of the state of things these days.

Definitely feels like a graphic novel in terms of storywriting and character design, which in my opinion is its downfall. While I loved the protagonist, I found the overly goofy character design of the villians pretty ridiculous. Makes me think of the realism applied to Nolan's villains for similarly silly comic characters. What was to be worked with were certainly over the top in both cases.. In contrast the protagonist, not unlike Blade of Immortal's, is black/white, gritty, and realistic in a film sense, the difference being the lack of ridiculous villains in that story, or even The Crow comparatively, I dont recall the villains from that so overly ridiculous. 

While not over the top in choreography like a John Wick movie would be, what action you get is very entertaining and keeps you on the edge of your seat. Many laugh out loud moments throughout the film. 

Dont watch this one around kids. The movie could also turn extremely graphic at bits, such as the sadistic torture scene, thankful it didnt go farther than it did. 

Really enjoyed it, would watch again, as well as a sequel.

This just goes to show, different strokes for different folks...

I'm pretty convinced this film will end up pretty high on my "worst films of 2019" list. I thought it was absolute garbage. It picks up when the action rolls around but there simply isn't enough to distract from the lame plot, horrendous characters and mish mash of tones. Shame really as Mikkelsen and Hudgens are both great in the film.

1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

lame plot, horrendous characters and mish mash of tones

Sounds like we agreed on a few things here. I did like the premise, hitman wants to retire, simple and almost existential such as John wick, but the plot turns I wasnt a fan of. Some of the goofier tones expressed by the villains I found extremely offputting, but found some good black humor in the way the protagonist handles his life. 

Glad this movies getting some input though.

Archived