Ringo Lam R.I.P

rdenn

sad news

https://www.star2.com/entertainment/2018/12/29/ringo-lam-city-on-fire-director-dead/?fbclid=IwAR0_-8aliQ9QurnuDnWidfBXakDrhnfCkE633SgCmHVbUevxWlXjP6gKI9M#8C0hATdsMwHXPHoE.01

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad news indeed, he might have been no spring chicken, but still only in his early 60's. Hoped we might still get to see more work from this very talented man.

R.I.P Ringo Lam.

250-340-bc529317.jpg

Did some research on whether it's true or a hoax. Sadly, it's all over many of the big HK news companies. Of all folks and it had to be one of my favorite HK directors... I'm shocked! RIP

• Administrator

Very sad news. He was much too young.

I was introduced to Ringo Lam's film-making when I saw FULL CONTACT in the theater, a film unlike any I had seen before. I had no idea that I would soon be seeing so many more classics from him as I continued my plunge into Hong Kong cinema.

Rest in peace Mr. Lam.

Oh no!!! I just watched City on Fire and that movie has been etched into my heart...Rest in peace, Ringo Lam. Thank you for all the contributions to the film industry you have made.

Edit: was reading this http://malaysiadailynews.com/ringo-lam-hong-kong-director-of-city-on-fire-dead-at-63/, saw names like Tsui Hark, Johnnie To and Daniel Wu and I'm wondering, are Triangle and Sky On Fire any good?

26 minutes ago, gunswordfist said:

was reading this http://malaysiadailynews.com/ringo-lam-hong-kong-director-of-city-on-fire-dead-at-63/, saw names like Tsui Hark, Johnnie To and Daniel Wu and I'm wondering, are Triangle and Sky On Fire any good?

Triangle is above average so I would say it's a good watch, just for the sake seeing Hark, Lam , and To show off their skills as filmmakers. Haven't seen Sky on Fire though but it got too many negative reactions when it was released a few years ago.

The first movie of his I watched was Twin Dragons, which he codirected with Tsui Hark. Years later I saw Full Contact and City on Fire. All were enjoyable. RIP

Shocked when I read the news this morning. To me one of the master craftsmen of action cinema and one of the greatest filmmakers. Ever. Gone with just 63. Tragic.

Dunno why, but as always when a personal  icon passes whose private life and thoughts are little known, I found myself looking for clues

in some of the contrite and sobering interviews he gave since his comeback in 2015.

Like this one... https://www.scmp.com/culture/film-tv/article/2048285/audience-hong-kong-action-film-master-ringo-lam

He appeared as a thoroughly depressed sounding man of his time, and a misfit in today's HK/China film universe. This millenium wasn't his, for sure.

Time to go back to his classics, some of which are still only available as incredibly poor DVD's (if you ever find 'em, that is !).  Think SCHOOL ON FIRE, THE SUSPECT or WILD SEARCH.

RIP.  Full Contact was one of my early gateways into Asian cinema and Full Alert is one of my favorites of that era, to say nothing of the utter brilliance of City on Fire.  Was overjoyed when Wild City acted as his comeback, and equally dismayed when Sky on Fire failed to build on that promise.  That said, I'm absolutely gutted that there will be nothing further to enjoy from this wonderful man.  God-speed!

I've been very saddened by this the past few days. Definitely my favourite new wave director and School On Fire in my opinion one of the greatest HK films of the 80s. Rest in peace Ringo

36 minutes ago, RedPhoenix said:

I've been very saddened by this the past few days. Definitely my favourite new wave director and School On Fire in my opinion one of the greatest HK films of the 80s. Rest in peace Ringo

Ah, SCHOOL ON FIRE, one of the most gut-wrenching, hardest hitting HK films of all times... Imagine a company like Arrow scooping that one up and releasing it on BD with the cut scenes reinstated... Aiight, gettin' carried away here, flicks like that don't exactly look like obvious restoration jobs for L'Immagine Ritrovata, so it might never happen.

On 1/1/2019 at 3:49 PM, Sheng said:

Ah, SCHOOL ON FIRE, one of the most gut-wrenching, hardest hitting HK films of all times... Imagine a company like Arrow scooping that one up and releasing it on BD with the cut scenes reinstated... Aiight, gettin' carried away here, flicks like that don't exactly look like obvious restoration jobs for L'Immagine Ritrovata, so it might never happen.

Totally agree my friend and still holds up incredibly well today as a ferocious, serious piece of work from a long gone era. An uncut BD would be a dream indeed - but as that's unlikely,  I still have my uncut Tai Seng VHS to tide me over in the meantime :)

Chow Yun-Fat, Johnnie To, Yau Nan-Hoi and Vincent Wan attended Ringo Lam's wake. A private funeral, attended by To and Wan, along with Soi Cheang, was held but on January 26th, there will be a final memorial service for friends to bid Lam one more farewell. http://hktopten.blogspot.com/2019/01/20190111-friends-bids-farewell-to-ringo.html
http://hktopten.blogspot.com/2019/01/20190110-chow-yun-fat-attends-ringo.html

0110-00282-010b2.jpg

0110-00282-010b5.jpg

0110-00282-010b6.jpg

Ringo and Chow in their early days

0110-00282-010b3.jpg

Friends gathered on January 26th to pay their final respects to Ringo Lam. (HKSAR Film No Top 10 Box Office)

Nick Cheung and Anthony Wong

0127-00282-008b1.jpg

Simon Yam

0127-00282-008b2.jpg

Johnnie To

0127-00282-008b5.jpg

Roy Cheung

0127-00282-008b6.jpg

Joseph Chang

0127-00282-008b7.jpg

Louis Koo

7183d3aadd4ef675881ec51bad231d4d.jpg

David (John) Chiang and Lee Lam Lam

7184c229c55fa96117d50d8a4d381566.jpg

Gordon Lam

718410f3ac3638a482fa4e113bd7654d.jpg

Sally Yeh

7184ac44a5bfdbf74628bef78e2e6ead.jpg

Memorial program cover

7183a3d4dce4cfc5334a4784be27d2ca.jpg

legendarycurry

May he rest in peace. I created an appreciation thread for him not knowing this was posted. Truly a unique voice in HK Cinema and cinema in general his style was unique.

Archived