R.I.P. Masashi Ishibashi

Takuma

The man who played villain in almost every Toei karate film ever made, who gave Chiba the opponent he needed and helped choreograph films like The Street Fighter, and who according to a story used to drop by at Masutatsu Oyama's dojo on his way home as guest instructor, is gone. He was 85 years old when he died on Dec. 19, 2018. Rest in peace, Ishibashi-san.

https://twitter.com/Patrick_Macias/status/1076399869235884032

Wicked Kempo
mas1.jpg

Karate Bullfighter
mas14.jpg

Karate Bearfighter
mas17.jpg

Karate for Life
mas2.jpg

The Street Fighter
mas3.jpg

Bodyguard Kiba 2
mas4.jpg

Sister Street Fighter
mas6.jpg

Sister Street Fighter: Hanging by a Thread
mas7.jpg

Return of the Sister Street Fighter
mas5.jpg

New Female Prisoner Scorpion: Special Cellblock X
mas8.jpg

Black Panther Bitch M
mas9.jpg

Dragon Princess
mas14a.jpg

Which is Stronger: Karate or the Tiger
mas16.jpg

Shogun's Ninja
mas15.jpg

Roaring Fire
mas10.jpg

The Bodyguard (TV)
mas11.jpg

Sukeban Deka 3 (TV)
mas13.jpg

Lady Battle Cop
mas12.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Aw man...

This year I had the pleasure of drawing/painting Ishibashi-san several times for the upcoming Blu-ray set releases of THE STREET FIGHTER and SISTER STREET FIGHTER films. He has a great, expressive face with tons of character, and it was fun depicting him. As I worked on the art I could see him in my mind's eye, dynamically performing deadly karate moves, hear his voice (both his real one and his English dubbed "voice" as well). I've enjoyed his performances in so many movies and will never forget him.

Rest in peace Masashi Ishibashi (aka. "Junjo"), and thanks for all your memorable performances, dedication to, and promotion of the Japanese martial arts.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Karlos said:

I see 2018 hasn't yet gotten bored of punching me in the balls.

RIP, you badass cat.

I spoke to someone in the know, and she predicted that 2019 would be a relatively ball-punch-free year (with a mild summer). So... there's that. 🙂

ShaOW!linDude

Wow...just...wow. That's a bummer. He played such a good antagonist for Chiba. 85 is a good old age, but it still seems a shame when some folks are pushing into their 90's.

(Wait a sec. Wouldn't "good antagonist" be an oxymoron?)

One of the best villainous character actors I've ever seen, & needless to say the real deal as a martial artist. I always saw a passing resemblance between him & Whang In Sik. Rest In Peace, Ishibashi-san.

R.I.P

6 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

85 is a good old age, but it still seems a shame when some folks are pushing into their 90's.

I think it's a shame (and sad) no matter how long someone or something lasts, it seems inevitable that all good things come to an end.

Well, that sucks.  Hopefully he will get a bunch of new fans with the upcoming Street Fighter and Sister Street Fighter boxsets. 

Archived