Korean serial killer films...

Drunken Monk

So, I've recently heard word of Korean serial killer movies being rather good. I've always been a sucker for a serial killer film and often find myself revisiting the American classics (SevenSilence of the Lambs etc.). So basically, I'm asking for recommendations if anyone has them.

I will give you two tidbits of information...

I love I Saw the Devil. I think it's one of my favourite films of all time. However, with that said, I really didn't like Memories of Murder. I watched it last week as a "serial killer recommendation" and I found it overly ponderous and repetitive. Although, admittedly, it had a pretty great ending.

So, are there anymore zingers I'm missing out on? These are literally the only two Korean serial killer films I've seen. Though I have heard The Chaser is good and plan on watching that very soon. Is it worth a watch?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Though I have heard The Chaser is good and plan on watching that very soon. Is it worth a watch?

Yes, I would say that The Chaser  is worth a watch.

It is not a wall-to-wall action movie but a great dramatic thriller just like I Saw The Devil. And if you love I Saw the Devil  then you may also like The Chaser. Also The Chaser   was loosely base on/inspired by real life serial killer Yoo Young-chul.

Also the movie was filmed in the same district (Mapo) that Yoo Young-chul killed most of his victims.

On 12/28/2018 at 5:53 AM, Drunken Monk said:

So, I've recently heard word of Korean serial killer movies being rather good. I've always been a sucker for a serial killer film and often find myself revisiting the American classics (SevenSilence of the Lambs etc.). So basically, I'm asking for recommendations if anyone has them.

Serial Killer movies mentioned in the Korean Cinema Forum: 

The Gangster, The Cop, The Devil (2019 - not released yet

Confession of Murder (2012)

Memoir of a Murderer (2016 - Pieces of Work says this is one of the best Korean serial killer movies ever made

Gifted (2014)

Manhole (2014) 

Pieces of Work Youtube Channel - Top 20 Korean Serial Killer Films video -

Bluebeard (2017)

Howling (2012)

Murderer (2014)

The Deal (2015)

Missing (2009)

Princess Aurora (2005) - the serial killer is a woman

Diary of June (2005) also social commentary on high school bullying

Midnight FM (2010)

Truck (2008)

Rainbow Eyes (2007) - brutal murders at a sports complex  

Missing You (2016)

The Five (2013)

H (2002)

Our Town (2007)

The Neighbors (2012)

Tell Me Something (1999) - The Korean 'Seven'  

Children (20110 - based on a true story

The Chaser (2008) 

I Saw the Devil (2010)

Memories of Murder (2003) - based on true events  

It looks like a lot of the videos on Pieces of Work Youtube channel have gone missing, deleted or gone private, including the Top 20 Korean Serial Killer Films.  But Top 10 Korean Serial Killer Films is still up, but it's on a Playlist.  Go to  Pieces of Work Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxET1QllXJuGZTwjsMDYLMA   Go to Playlists - then the Korean Films Playlist - and scroll down to "Top 10 Korean Serial Killer Films".   

Update: The Pieces of Work Youtube Channel no longer exists.

On 12/28/2018 at 5:12 PM, thekfc said:

Yes, I would say that The Chaser  is worth a watch.

It is not a wall-to-wall action movie but a great dramatic thriller just like I Saw The Devil. And if you love I Saw the Devil  then you may also like The Chaser. Also The Chaser   was loosely base on/inspired by real life serial killer Yoo Young-chul.

Also the movie was filmed in the same district (Mapo) that Yoo Young-chul killed most of his victims.

I didn't like chaser much as  it's very slow & pretty boring. Also,  it as the usual Korean very badly shot  action scenes  . Lots of swirling cameras, cuts etc    . It makes the action scenes hard to watch. Not a film I'd chase down.

Archived