Sister Street Fighter Collection- Arrow

Guest cliffmac

With Sonny Chiba's Street Fighter collection Blu Ray coming out early next year and now this, I think I'm going to have some really fun first-time watches.

• Like 3

Finally! Great extras, too! And fine artwork for once! Time to sell my Toei dvds (I mean, time to mentally prepare for selling my Toei dvds once the reviews conform it's a safe thing to do)

• Like 1

The release includes the original Sister Street Fighter (1974), Sister Streetfighter: Hanging by a Thread, Return of the Sister Street Fighter, "with a final unrelated follow-up (Sister Street Fighter: Fifth Level Fist) helmed by original Street Fighter director Shigehiro Ozawa appearing in 1976."  From http://cityonfire.com/sister-street-fighter-collection-blu-ray-arrow-video/  and https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=24395    UK Blu-ray release on March 25, 2019, US release on March 26.

Special Features and Technical Specs: 

• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentations of all four films
  • Original uncompressed Japanese mono audio
  • Original English dubbed audio for Sister Street Fighter
  • New optional English subtitle translation for all four films
  • English SDH subtitles for the English dub for Sister Street Fighter
  • New video interviews with actor Shinichi "Sonny" Chiba, director Kazuhiko Yamaguchi, and screenwriter Masahiro Kakefuda
  • Original Japanese theatrical trailers for all four films
  • Original U.S. theatrical trailer for Sister Street Fighter, plus original English opening titles to the film
  • Original German theatrical trailer for Sister Street Fighter, plus original German opening titles to the film
  • Stills and poster gallery
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Kungfubob O'Brien
  • First pressing only: Illustrated booklet featuring writing on the series by Patrick Macias and a new essay on the U.S. release of Toei's karate films by Chris Poggiali 
Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 5

• Administrator
On 12/22/2018 at 9:49 AM, Takuma said:

Finally! Great extras, too! And fine artwork for once! Time to sell my Toei dvds (I mean, time to mentally prepare for selling my Toei dvds once the reviews conform it's a safe thing to do)

@Takuma that is just temp place-holder image, I actually created new artwork (several pieces) for this set which will be revealed soon. I hope you like them as much as the above image.

I am very excited for this release, but I don't think I'll ever let go of my Adness/Ronin DVD boxed set. It's just too sweet! It will remain on the shelf alongside this Arrow Blu-ray set.

Looking forward to checking out the extras on this Arrow release as well. More new Chiba interview and more thanks to extras creator Marc Walkow!

5 hours ago, kevenzz said:

Never seen any of these movies but since Arrow is releasing them…. they must be decent :)

They are all fun flicks, with the first three being crazed, sleazy, action-packed karate exploitation films. The fourth film is only tangentially connected to this series, featuring a much different tone, but still good.

There are lots of over-the-top, comic-book style villains using a variety of weapons and fighting styles (there's even a "Mr. Han" knockoff), and many of the same crew and cast from THE STREET FIGHTER films. Shinichi "Sonny" Chiba appears in the first SISTER film (though not as Terry Tsurugi) kicking ass as only he can, and the incredible Yasuaki Kurata co-stars in the next two sequels. Etsuko "Sue" Shihomi was only a teenager when the first film was shot, but boy does she give it her all! You can actually see real cuts and bruises (especially on her hands) in close-ups as this young martial arts actress was filming these fight scenes with some rough customers. Very cool that Chiba-san was always willing to push his protege's into the spotlight instead of hogging it all for himself. Anyway, I definitely recommend these movies @kevenzz.

• Like 8

The Sister Street Fighter Collection is being released on Blu-ray on March 26, 2019.  Did anyone notice that the Street Fighter Blu-ray collection, from a different company, Shout Factory, will also be released on March 26th?  Shout Factory said - "To allow for more time to complete brand new transfers on all three [Street Fighter] films, we have moved the national street date to March 26, 2019."  Coincidence?

• Like 3

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, whitesnake said:

The Sister Street Fighter Collection is being released on Blu-ray on March 26, 2019.  Did anyone notice that the Street Fighter Blu-ray collection, from a different company, Shout Factory, will also be released on March 26th?  Shout Factory said - "To allow for more time to complete brand new transfers on all three [Street Fighter] films, we have moved the national street date to March 26, 2019."  Coincidence?

Not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but I'm going to be VERY happy on March 26th, 2019! 🤪 Happy New Year indeed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but I'm going to be VERY happy on March 26th, 2019! 🤪 Happy New Year indeed.

I think we can officialy declare March 2019, as Streetfighter Month.

MV5BNWM4MTA5YWItYTk5ZS00YjZmLTk2MzktYmQ3

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

Only ever seen the first one,so this is a must buy.Pleased they have the original English audio for the first one because like the first street fighter movie I think they are some of the best dubbing that has been done.The voices just seem to fit the characters well.👍👍

• Like 3

I relied on one source for the Sister Street Fighter Collection US release date.  That was wrong.  Amazon.com and Blu-ray.com now list its release date as March 5, 2019.

• Like 4

Sister Street Fighter: Hanging by a Thread has been censored by the BBFC to "remove potentially indecent images of a child in accordance with the Protection of Children's Act 1978".  No idea if the US version will be cut as well.

- http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/showthread.php?17556-Arrow-Releasing-The-Sister-Street-Fighter-Collection&p=182449&viewfull=1#post182449

Can anybody figure out what on earth has BBFC cut from the film? Like most people, I've seen the film several times, and like all people, I have no recollection of what the indecency they talk about could refer to...

EDIT:

Framed photo of a naked child on the wall in the mobsters' den.

If I'm looking at the right scene, the photo is visible for about 30 seconds during a dialogue scene.

It's at 26:41-27:11 on my Toei DVD.

Edited by Takuma
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

Is that scene cut on the BCI set? I ordered it on ebay and it's on the way to me now.

Should not not be. I don't own it, though.

Edited by Takuma
  • Like 1

• Administrator
On 1/17/2019 at 9:32 AM, Takuma said:

- http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/showthread.php?17556-Arrow-Releasing-The-Sister-Street-Fighter-Collection&p=182449&viewfull=1#post182449

Can anybody figure out what on earth has BBFC cut from the film? Like most people, I've seen the film several times, and like all people, I have no recollection of what the indecency they talk about could refer to...

EDIT:
If I'm looking at the right scene, the photo is visible for about 30 seconds during a dialogue scene.

It's at 26:41-27:11 on my Toei DVD.

It's a shame that most people in the USA (I can only comment on where I've been) consider nudity shameful and taboo, and that our nude bodies are predominantly viewed only in a sexualized way. I wish it wasn't this way, and that we were all more comfortable with it, lightening up and realizing that we all have the same parts, we're all human, and that nudity is not a big deal. But despite feeling this way... when confronted with it, I was certainly shocked and felt quite uncomfortable, mumbling aloud "What the f#%* is this doing in here?" Chalk it up to being raised Catholic, I guess. It's definitely a strange piece of "art" to decorate a set wall with, and I won't be sorry to see it go.

On 1/17/2019 at 4:52 PM, De Ming Li said:

Is that scene cut on the BCI set? I ordered it on ebay and it's on the way to me now.

No, it's not cut on the BCI set; that's where I saw it.

I do wonder how the edit will affect the film. I can't recall exactly what was being said, but I believe it's several lines between two of the villains. I wonder if they can just add an optical blur over the photo instead of cutting the scene? Either way, this is not exactly a "plot-heavy film"  😋, so it shouldn't make much of a difference.

@De Ming Li you should be happy with that set, it's very well produced, and includes the original Japanese poster artwork for each film on the packaging and a booklet with great writing from Japanese cinema expert/author Patrick Macias. Because of these things I won't be letting go of my BCI DVD set despite the Blu-ray sets release. I'm sure I'll only be watching the Arrow Blu-rays though once I get the new set. So they'll soon reside together on my "Chiba shelf". (Okay,okay... so it's actually several shelves 😊)

• Like 7

OK so the co-producer of this release has confirmed that this scene will not actually be cut but it's zoomed and cropped, blanking out the image. Also, unlike in the case of Born Under Crossed Stars from the Seijun Suzuki Early Years Volume 1 set, even if you set your blu ray player to Region A or play it in a straight Region A player, you're still going to get the scene censored. The US release will play uncut as expected. Now I suppose that means that Arrow considers a potentially indecent image of a child as being far more risky than a bit of animal mistreatment. For me, from the description I have no particular desire to see this image so I don't mind.

Just curious though, what if you buy the US set and watch it in Region B? The discs are going to be authored differently so what happens then?

Edited by De Ming Li
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

For me, from the description I have no particular desire to see this image so I don't mind.

I think in general one should see movies in most uncut form as possible. I do not like animal killings but do not buy cut british versions but go for american releases of italian cannibal movies.

At least some extreme and disturbing scenes makes sure you do not forget movie immediately. I do not "want" to see described scene of child either but better than is is there than not coz not want others decide what I should watch and what not...on 2nd view can skip it if it`s something really bothers.

• Like 1

Tex Killer I absolutely agree that one should watch a film as complete as possible in every instance. For something like this cut made by the BBFC though if it has absolutely no bearing on the story then I don't think it would affect my understanding of the film is what I'm saying.

• Like 3

How is action(fight) scenes in these?Trying to recall have I seen one of sis movies but not sure...In sonnys street fighters they are quite rough(that is not complaint at all, they match his character perfectly) but if more swift in these that would be good too.

• Administrator
On 1/19/2019 at 5:50 AM, De Ming Li said:

OK so the co-producer of this release has confirmed that this scene will not actually be cut but it's zoomed and cropped, blanking out the image. 

For me, from the description I have no particular desire to see this image so I don't mind.

That's a perfect solution. Offensive/illegal image gone, no dialogue missing.

On 1/19/2019 at 9:07 PM, De Ming Li said:

Tex Killer I absolutely agree that one should watch a film as complete as possible in every instance. For something like this cut made by the BBFC though if it has absolutely no bearing on the story then I don't think it would affect my understanding of the film is what I'm saying.

Same here. I usually go out of my way to make sure I get uncensored versions of films, but not in this particular case. I want to see uncensored fake violence, and consenting adult nudity.

Thank you. 😊

6 hours ago, Tex Killer said:

How is action(fight) scenes in these?Trying to recall have I seen one of sis movies but not sure...In sonnys street fighters they are quite rough(that is not complaint at all, they match his character perfectly) but if more swift in these that would be good too.

@Tex Killer the fight scenes in these are filmed in a similar manner, but Etsuko Shihomi seems to throw a lot more kicks than Chiba. For being a teenager when they started filming these, she's mighty impressive! Yasuaki Kurata has some memorable moments in the two films in the series in which he appears too.

Here's Arrow's latest Instagram post and the outer cover artwork I drew (plus there'll be an additional four pieces of my art inside the set)...

" ***SISTER STREET FIGHTER: HANGING BY A THREAD UK RELEASE INFO + ARTWORK REVEAL*** We would like to take this opportunity to let UK fans know that our upcoming release of Sister Street Fighter: Hanging By A Thread, will be censored (not cut) in one scene. This is due to a potentially indecent image of a minor used as set decoration in the lair of one of the villains - visible in one shot for approximately 31 seconds which the BBFC advised breached the Protection of Children Act 1978.
As this scene features important expository dialogue, instead of cutting it out completely we have decided to zoom into the other half of the frame, cropping out the offending part of the image entirely. Apart from this, all four films in the set will be released for the first time in the UK in all their bloody, bone-snapping uncut glory, including the gore and weapons scenes cut from previous UK releases of the first film! The US edition will be unaffected by these requested cuts.

On a more positive note, we also want to take this opportunity to reveal the brand-new art for the Collection by celebrated artist R.P. “Kung Fu Bob” O’Brien! The Sister Street Fighter Collection is available in the UK on March 4th and the USA and Canada on March 5th.
"

SSF50679325_10155873391931120_8436441999963324416_n.jpg

• Like 12