Ninja in Ancient China (1993) - Chang Cheh's Final Movie

Guest greenfankermit

ironfistedmonk

Got my copy today, nice print with burnt subs which are easy to read, no white background making them impossible to make out. You get a nice insert with some liner notes from the man Linn Haynes and an audio comm from Sir Nicholas of Watkins :D

I remember now why this is my favourite Baby Venoms film, the fights just keep getting better and better as the film goes on. Considering the time it was made there is very little wirework apart from a few Ninja moves which are compulsory in a Ninja movie IMO. These guys don't do the powder puff mainland style MA either, its fast and tight, a good film overall.

Amazon havent actually ordered any units yet. They will be ordering some next week, when they will also be correcting the listing.

You can purchase Ninja in Ancient China from .....

http://www.greenfandvd.com/shop/niac.htm

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/4025931/-/Product.html?searchstring=ninja+in+ancient+china&searchsource=0

or directly from me via paypal.

i found this using search feature.. i tried to order this 3 times but it kept saying my billing or something i put in didnt match my credit card info.. checked it though a bunch. dang

That's amazing!!

The only reason I didn't get the DVD was because of how the other cover looked. Now, I'm going to have to pick it up!

lmao..so cover it as or more important than film itself:ooh:

Finally watched the greenfan disc.

The Baby V films of CC are the only ones I have yet to explore and was fairly impressed with this film.

Listened to the audio commentary by Nick Watkins which had a nice mix of Chinese history and Chang's career.

According to HKMDb, Lu Feng was in this? Must have been a bit part plus I stepped out a few times, so I missed him.

Anyone know where he appears? Nice to see some old Shaw regulars like Yeung Hung, Wang Chang-Chi, and Choi Wang.

What Nick said at the beginning of the last chapter made me a bit blue as this was "...the final fight scene of the final CC film."

If you haven't seen this one, check it out when you can - if only for that fact.

One Armed Boxer

I finally got around to watching the Greenfan DVD as well (@teako170 - I'm only 10 years behind you! :tongueout), and agree it's a fitting swansong to Chang Cheh's career. At least superior to his mid-80's output, here you get the distinct impression you're watching a Chang Cheh flick, from the heroic deaths through to the homoeroticism, it's all present and accounted for! I gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/ninja-in-ancient-china-1993-review-chang-cheh/

• Like 5

One Armed Boxer
1 hour ago, monk said:

anyone have this dvd? looks like an LD rip. can anyone confirm?

Yes to the first question & no idea to the second.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 8:08 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

finally got around to watching the Greenfan DVD as well (@teako170 - I'm only 10 years behind you! :tongueout), and agree it's a fitting swansong to Chang Cheh's career. At least superior to his mid-80's output, here you get the distinct impression you're watching a Chang Cheh flick, from the heroic deaths through to the homoeroticism, it's all present and accounted for! I gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/ninja-in-ancient-china-1993-review-chang-cheh/

Would it be safe to say that Ninja in Ancient China was truly THE LAST of the old school chopsockey movies, despite it coming out several years after the genre had become completely irrelevant in HK?

• Like 2