Ninja in Ancient China (1993) - Chang Cheh's Final Movie

Guest greenfankermit

Guest Daisho2004

I'm looking forward to seeing what else you plan on putting out. Do you have the same titles as Dragon Dynasty releases? What I mean is do you know what they are planning to put out so you can avoid any double dipping as to put it of the same titles.

In the 2nd post of this thread, the green ninja w/ the metal claws looks like a scene from "Shogun's Ninja". I read that "Shogun's Ninja" finally came out on DVD earlier this year, so I'll be looking forward to watching "SN".

Sorry if I'm talking about too many ninja movies, but does it look like that "other" Chang Cheh ninja movie("5 Element Ninja") will actually come out next month on R3 DVD? If so, then I wish that 5EN could not just be released on R3, but also in all region from that new Shaw DVD company.

Guest teako170
If so, then I wish that 5EN could not just be released on R3, but also in all region from that new Shaw DVD company.
MB has this slated for an R1 release (after the R3 version comes out).

The two pics from my previous post are screencaps.
Nice caps GFK! Thanks for posting. Now, what's the aspect ratio on this sucker? It doesn't appear (from the caps) to be 2.35. Looks more like 1.78. Care to confirm?

What's confusing about this film is in CC's "A Memoir," the last film listed that he directed is "Shen Tong" in 1993. No mention of "Ninja in AC." Anyone confirm if this is indeed an alt title or two separate films? I have a full screen copy of NAC but only watched the first 30 minutes. I held off watching the rest as I knew a wide print was coming out.

Guest greenfankermit

Teako - I believe Shen Tong is NIAC

Oldeschool -

Title

Ninja in Ancient China

Year

Starring

Tung Chi Hua

Tu Yu Ming

Muk Lap San

Chen Yi Gong

Lam Ying Kwan

Ching Ah Lam

Action Choreography

Tung Chi Hua

Tu Yu Ming

We are working on a trailer at the moment. As soon as it's done the link will be posted on here.

Guest peringaten

Ancient China here is approximately 200 A.D., give or take several years either side; the ninjas based off the same principles as those in 5 Element Ninja: gold/metal, wood, water, fire and earth all seen represented. Storywise, much a reworking of the source Romance Of The Three Kingdoms, one of several great classical works of Chinese literature CC tackled during his career (the notable others Outlaws Of The Marsh aka The Water Margin, and the Monkey King spawning Journey To The West), the historically based Three Kingdoms a source he'd previously, somewhat less coherently, tackled with the muddley Weird Man. However gone are the fantastical elements seen in the previous Shaw flick (no floating tangerines here), and those wacky notions of Taoist spirits running around causing campy mayhem instead replaced with straighter plottings based upon a backdrop the legends surrounding the three warring states vying for power at the fall of the prominent Han dynasty. Source tying together the films, not treatment - a different take on the same source with straighter overall plottings; just ninjas are definingly worked in.

The ninjas represented/costumed as you'd imagine ninjas to be, and here colour coded by element. Ninja, martial, opera and straight intrigue concerns worked in place of the fantastical elements of the Weird Shaw flick - a premise, (besides the power struggles, CC heroic themes, bloodshed, betrayals, loyalties, etc.) with a little ninja action exposition, that Han dynasty innovation spawned the element techniques that informed the Japanese characterised take of Super Ninjas, allowing CC the creative freedom to liberally spice things up here and there such.

Put it simply, if you've seen the Weird Man (not essential to follow this film), imagine Ricky Tien's Taoist character in that film stayed in robed beardy mode, wasn't supernatural, but had taught his followers, originally played by Yu Tai Ping, Chu Ker, etc. here replaced by his final team, the element ninja techniques, giving rise to a mix of such and straight opera agility kung.

At a time HK was putting out the wire-worked takes of Tsui Hark, Jet Li and the new wave, CC was sticking to that formula he'd worked up with the Venoms - alongside the abdomen slicings, etc., using a faithful team of real gifted opera actors and martial artists to showcase genuine physical agility with CC's usual nice, keeping it real, kung stylings. Tung Chi Hwa, the pole weilding dude in Kung Fu Hustle, in lead General role, showcasing that he was really capable back in the day. Mainland location work, not set based. Look out for "Brass Head" in cameo mode.

Guest teako170
Look out for "Brass Head" in cameo mode.
Haha! You're right - here he is. Nice catch P.

brasshead.jpg

I've always known this guy as Ma Sze-Peng but I think he's also called Yeung Hung (sp?).

Guest greenfankermit
I've always known this guy as Ma Sze-Peng but I think he's also called Yeung Hung (sp?).

Yeah, that's Yeung Hung, or Yang Xiong - if you want to go with the Mandarin pinyin.

Guest Mr Dragula

Those screens look phenomenal, much better than the worn trailer on the rarescope releases. Is this still the same source as the rarescope? Looks way above their grade, and well worth getting.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

I have the Flashlegs version of "Ninja In Ancient China", but have yet to watch it. Ive seen a few other "Baby Venoms" films and they were OK, but had extremely low production values (looked VERY cheap). Ill have to check it out before dropppin cash on it.