Men in Black International

Drunken Monk

Here's the first look at Tessa Thompson and Chris Hemsworth in the upcoming reboot of the Men in Black franchise. The film will be released on June 14th, 2019 and is directed by F. Gary Gray.

tumblr_pjdr3z184l1v6w3juo1_540.png

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Secret Executioner

Saw it last night, pretty good film if you ask me. Interesting and very well-crafted story with a heavy use of setup and payback that makes nearly every scene having something to be watched or listened to carefully, the mystery of "who the mole is" may sound clichee but it's well done and lots of stuff makes you go the wrong way, and they throw in a fake out when a McGuffin gets recovered but the mole plot resumes before you go "wait, what about the mole ?". The design of the aliens is very varied and they are overall enjoyable to watch. 

The leads also go through arcs, with Tessa Thompson's Molly/Agent M going from a MIB version of Hermione to an enjoyable, smart, ass-kicking young lady and Chris Hemsworth's Agent H becomes more serious and less of a mindless oaf than he initially comes across - though he does kick ass, I just wish I would have thought less of Thor when seeing him... The two have a pretty good chemistry and after the usual clash of characters, they get along and make a very competent team.

Like X-Men: Dark Phoenix though, it felt the need to bring up SJW issues with the fact they are called MEN in Black, but while there are two referrences to it, it doesn't feel as bad, probably because one occurence is essentially a remark by an agent who comments some things are hard to change (unlike Mystiquein the Whinny X-Men movie who sounded like a feminazi when she complained about the team's name) and the other sounds partly like a joke because of who says it.

On a sidenote, I was wondering whether it would be a reboot or a spinoff. But considering it takes place in Britain, Morocco and a bit in Italy (Morocco, Italy, Britain... Oh, it's MIB, get it ?), with the bulk of the movie dealing with the UK division of the organization, I feel like it's more of a spin-off than a real reboot. The ending

Spoiler

with M becoming a full-operative in NY - yeah, she's supposed to be on a trial period in this film - while H remains in London

makes it difficult to have a new film with these two characters together, while M could eventually end up where Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones worked in the first trilogy. Speaking of, I found it funny that the poster showcases M, H, High-T (Liam Neeson's character

Spoiler

who you will find sorta reminiscent of his character in Batman Begins due  to his arc

), Agent O (the woman taking M in and commenting on the MIB name) and some aliens, but also the MIB pug - he must be a very popular character (I'm not that familiar with the franchise TBH - mainly because I don't like Will Smith all that much -, but this movie can be followed without much knowledge of it), since he has just a cameo and speaks one single line.

MV5BMDZkODI2ZGItYTY5Yi00MTA4LWExY2ItM2Zm

Archived