Jackie Chan: I'm not a fan of 'Rush Hour' films

Guest monk sante

Jackie shouldn't do American films period, if he's going to sell out each time he makes one. Man, has he been played. Bruce would have never gone along with some of the shyte he and Jet allow.

Burn, Hollywood, Burn!

:l

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jackie shouldn't do American films period, if he's going to sell out each time he makes one. Man, has he been played. Bruce would have never gone along with some of the shyte he and Jet allow.

Burn, Hollywood, Burn!

:l

I completely agree with what you say about Bruce.

As for Jackie Chan, he propably has agents who try to convince him that certain projects are worth his time. It's too bad Chan won't wait for a good role; or even play a bad guy like Stallone offered him in Demolition Man back in the 90's.

Chan needs to stop making these suck-ass Hollywood flicks and get back to his roots. I'd rather he just stop making films in Hollywood if we're going to get garbage like The Tuxedo and this new SPY NEXT DOOR.

As for RUSH HOUR, I've never liked those films at all. Their the ONLY Hollywood-Chan films that I don't own.

I prefer Drunken Master 2 and POLICE STORY over Rush Hour any freakin day of the week. Hell, even subpar stuff like Mr. Nice Guy is better than Rush Hour (for my personal tastes)

I believe he may finally have found a good direction to go in with Shinjuku Incident. Just wonder how many Hollywood projects he has left to complete.

I personally feel that the rush hour films etc.. keeps the martial arts genre in the limelight and reaches a wider audience. Although they may not be the best examples of the genre, it does introduce it to new audiences and makes them check out the classics and give us martial arts fans something new to watch and criticise. .

I don't know about America but in the UK it is actually extremely hard to find the some of the best examples of Jackie Chan, since most of his work released by Hong Kong legends is now out-of-print. That makes it hard for new fans and old who haven't already snapped up their favourites on DVD.

Other films simply haven't even been released in the UK for example drunken Master 2 and police story 3 Super cop.

so Rush hour's maybe be the best a new generation can see.

HKL's are fairly plentiful here in Australia (they don't sell too well apparently) so that always might be an option if there any of the younger generation are aware..

Killer Meteor
The two Shanghai films are better movies than the Rush Hour series.

I think Shanghai Noon is Jackie's best work post-millenium.

HKL's are fairly plentiful here in Australia (they don't sell too well apparently) so that always might be an option if there any of the younger generation are aware..

thanks for the tip from a not so younger generartion fan, there's a few HKL DVD's I'd like if I can find some aussie stores who take paypal!!!:D

The two Shanghai films are better movies than the Rush Hour series.

Shanghai Knights was awful & what a waste of Donnie Yen.:(

Shanghai Knights was Jackie's most creative film in the States fight-choreography-wise. FK was also fun. The first Rush Hour worked as a comedy to me, mainly because Tucker was held back more in this one. The jokes weren't all about his mouth getting them into "hilarious situations".

It's too bad Chan won't wait for a good role; or even play a bad guy like Stallone offered him in Demolition Man back in the 90's.

That was the point, he didn't want to come into the US as a villain. Of course, Jet Li kinda started that way...so it's interesting to think about which one had a better career in the states becuase of how they both started it. Perhaps like their duel (in FK) it ended a draw.

Shanghai Knights was an atrocity from start to finish. While there were a few flares of what we expect from Jackie Chan, most of the action was slap stick nonsense and the rest of the film was dire.

doug maverick
Shanghai Knights was Jackie's most creative film in the States fight-choreography-wise. FK was also fun. The first Rush Hour worked as a comedy to me, mainly because Tucker was held back more in this one. The jokes weren't all about his mouth getting them into "hilarious situations".

That was the point, he didn't want to come into the US as a villain. Of course, Jet Li kinda started that way...so it's interesting to think about which one had a better career in the states becuase of how they both started it. Perhaps like their duel (in FK) it ended a draw.

how is it a draw, jackie us films far outgross jets films buy leaps and bounds. the mummy is his biggest hit to date. the total gross for jets english language films are probably around 500-600million. total gross for all jackies english language films are in the billions. so jackie is the bigger star and probably has more star power. i mean he gets the asian distribution rights for all the rush hour movies so he cant hate them that much.

how is it a draw

yeah i know, i just wanted to end my post that way.

Shanghai Knights was an atrocity from start to finish

whatever (back me up on that Running Man).

shaolin drunkard
how is it a draw, jackie us films far outgross jets films buy leaps and bounds. the mummy is his biggest hit to date. the total gross for jets english language films are probably around 500-600million. total gross for all jackies english language films are in the billions. so jackie is the bigger star and probably has more star power. i mean he gets the asian distribution rights for all the rush hour movies so he cant hate them that much.

Some jets western movies are actually very good,I like them more than Jackies.Jet was cool villain in lethal weapon4.Romeo must die perhaps bit on cheesy side but I still liked it.Kiss of the dragon is highly enjoyable.Danny the dog not bad either.Jackie surely makes more $$$ but that does not mean (american)movies he is starring in are better than jets.

With the exception of Forbidden Kingdom (first Jackie movie I didn't even consider buying), I think Jet has made better film choices than Jackie has in the last few years. And Jackie's recent Hong Kong movies have been only minimally (if at all) better than his Hollywood stuff, in my opinion. I've been a Jackie fan since 1982 (my first martial arts teacher knew Jackie, no BS) but I think Jackie was right when he said in '89 that he could only keep making his kind of movies 3 or 4 more years. We all age, Jackie's in great shape for his age, but watching him continue to try to make action movies is kind of like watching a once great boxer fighting way past his prime (think Ali, or Sugar Ray Leonard's, or Holyfield's last fights, none of them knew when to quit), it damages his reputation, his once legendary status as the world's greatest action moviestar. IMHO Jackie's last great movie was Drunken Master II (& even then he was using doubles & wires more than he had a few years earlier), he shouldn't be making action movies anymore, he should give serious dramas a real try (even if they're only chinese language films directed by someone like Zhang Yimou). I don't have high hopes for Shinjuku Incident, though, looks like more over the top attempts at drama (characters need to seem real/normal, believeable), Jackie tends to overact in Hong Kong attempts at drama.

On the other hand, in one way you can't really blame him too much for continuing to make Hollywood crap, his Hollywood paychecks have got to be way, way bigger than his Hong Kong ones. But it's still disappointing that he doesn't seem to care nearly as much about the quality of his movies as he used to (back when he was directing them himself; sure, those movies took longer to get made, but they were also much better films).

In regards to your last sentence.. Jackie does want to direct himself in Armour of God 3... if that still happens, we'll see.

There was also another collaboration with Stanley Tong at one point. If it happens, I hope it's better than The Myth.

Guest Markgway
Jackie tends to overact in Hong Kong attempts at drama.

Depends on the director. Benny Chan is a hack. But I don't imagine Derek Yee will let him turn ham.

There was also another collaboration with Stanley Tong

Tong is a great stunt co-ordinator and lousy director.

DeathFuMaster

Im a Jackie fan through and through. I enjoy all of his movies, especially old skool stuff like Drunken Master and Young Master. I continue to support Jackie even if most of his recent endeavors were dissapointing. While I would love to see him bring out a Drunken Master 3, I just dont know if he can handle it. In the behind the scenes stuff on Drunken Master 2, it looked like Jackie was having a hard time doing some of the stunts and getting hurt. With that in mind, Im fine with him relaxing a making money on Hollywood films. I feel like he deserves it, but I think he should cut down his acting and go sit in the director chair. He should find a young talented martial artist and take him under his wing. Jackie could be like Alfred Hitchcock and make cameos every now and then like the old days. Imagine the Peking Opera brothers having their own studio, Sammo could do the choreography while Jackie directs.

I just feel like Jackie should take a backseat to a young star in his older days. But I still love him and his films will always be with me.

One last thought: If a Drunken Master 3 happens, it could be Jackie teaching the previously mentioned "Young Star" how to Drunken box officially passing down his legacy.

Jackie is a great martial artist, he proves this in movies like :

* The New Police Story

* The Myth

* Rob B Hood

But recently in america he stars in movies like :

* Rush Hour 3

* The Spy Next Door

* The Forbidden Kingdom

Personally, Jackie Chan's Hong Kong movies are more serious, more action, and have a more in depth story line. Come on with movies like " The Spy Next Door " why doesn't he just stick to Hong Kong movies, sure they come here on DVD, but still its better then watching " Rush Hour 3 " which was a shitty movie.

There was also another collaboration with Stanley Tong at one point

This is mentioned by both in DD's Supercop interviews.

He should find a young talented martial artist and take him under his wing

Jackie is doing that reality show (whatever it's called) to find an heir. The problem is all these aging action stars aren't finding anyone to take their place!

This is mentioned by both in DD's Supercop interviews.

Stanley Tong also mentioned it in an interview for HKL's Wheels on Meals Platinum Edition. I don't have the DD release of Supercop so I didn't know about it being mentioned there.

shaolin drunkard
But there's already Drunken Master III.
Not seen Drunken Monkey but dm3 is so bad compared to other lkl movies and pretty much everything else almost believe lkl did it intentionally:angel:

DeathFuMaster
You are right.He should direct instead of acting in these movies.But there's already Drunken Master III.

true, but I meant a REAL DMIII...:)

Archived