Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021) - Simu Liu, Tony Leung Chiu-Wai, Awkwafina

AlbertV

On 4/23/2021 at 11:51 PM, reason108 said:

The only Marvel movie I am really looking forward to is Moon Knight. But, they will probably find some way to screw it up. Cant wait to see what they do with the costume for that character.

Moon Knight is actually going to be a series.

But anyway, back to Shang-Chi, the producers made it clear they are doing away with any offensive material that was used during its comic heyday. So they are not including the dragon named "Fin Fang Foom", but there is a water dragon named "The Great Protector" that is scheduled to appear in the film.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/no-fin-fang-foom-in-shang-chi/

• Like 2

New trailer below. I'm gonna be honest. I'm worried. Just another generic Marvel movie. Also the amount of CGI, damn! Just compare this trailer to Snake Eyes and ask yourself how the two make you feel? Doesn't look good not good at all IMHO.

• Like 3

@laagi

Dude I was so excited for the movie when the first trailer came out. Then I see this, and I just shake my damn head. The costumes arent very good (especially for the Mandarin). And why in the world did they turn his rings into Kung Fu Iron Rings? Its starting to remind me of The New Mutants, where characters do exactly what they dont do in the comics (ala Sunspot basically being another Pyro). It makes you wonder about who's checking the consistency of these characters. I'm about to be let down again like Thor Ragnarok smh

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

I can forgive the film for its abundance of CGI but what shocked me about the second trailer is that it lacked KUNG FU. Besides the scaffolding scene (which they seemed to have borrowed from one of the Rush Hour movies), a lot of the action looked very fantastical and magic filled. Where's the martial arts!?

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 12:19 PM, AlbertV said:

According to IMDB, Jackie Chan Stunt Team member Vi-Dan Tran will be designing the action sequences with Alan Tang (not the HK star, but a Canadian-based wushu champion) serving as fight coordinator.

The names I see today are:

Vi-Dan Tran
Andy Cheng
Joseph Le
Le Junchang (Man of Tai Chi)
Guillermo Grispo (The Kingsman films; Solo: A Star Wars Story; Legend of Hercules)

• Like 3

My main issue is the protagonist. Who just lacks any sense of charisma whatsoever. I just don't care about him. He comes across super bland. Even worse he's suppose to be this super bad ass Kung Fu fighter and I don't buy it for a second! That's nothing personal against the actor but the same goes for Tony Leung who seems equally miscast.

I'm aware first impressions can be deceiving. But especially after the new trailer. This could be any action movie from any franchise and hell you wouldn't even know it has something to do with Kung Fu. Let's hope it's just a poorly edited trailer but again I'm not holding my breath for this one.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, laagi said:

My main issue is the protagonist. Who just lacks any sense of charisma whatsoever. I just don't care about him. He comes across super bland. Even worse he's suppose to be this super bad ass Kung Fu fighter and I don't buy it for a second! That's nothing personal against the actor but the same goes for Tony Leung who seems equally miscast.

I'm aware first impressions can be deceiving. But especially after the new trailer. This could be any action movie from any franchise and hell you wouldn't even know it has something to do with Kung Fu. Let's hope it's just a poorly edited trailer but again I'm not holding my breath for this one.

Whats funny is that Simu Liu was complaining on twitter how theres no Shang Chi, then boom! Hes cast as Shang Chi out of nowhere lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Drunken Monk

Another trailer without any emphasis on the martial arts. I'm beginning to feel very skeptical about this one.

• Like 3

I was on Twitter and saw someone echo the concerns many here have about the trailer and martial arts and how they wanted a more grounded film and Simu straight up responded "Sorry you hate fun" so I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope that this is going to be anything more than a Marvel movie.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Another trailer without any emphasis on the martial arts. I'm beginning to feel very skeptical about this one.

This "new" trailer was awful. Not to mention the CGI looked overused and bad. Which is never a good combination. But hey who knows, maybe this turns out to be good :thinking

• Like 4

DragonClaws
On 7/29/2021 at 6:34 AM, wmcguire18 said:

so I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope that this is going to be anything more than a Marvel movie.

If the Action is as good as Winter Soliders, Id be very happy. Even if its not a straight up fight fest.

• Like 1

FightingFool
On 7/29/2021 at 4:34 PM, wmcguire18 said:

I was on Twitter and saw someone echo the concerns many here have about the trailer and martial arts and how they wanted a more grounded film and Simu straight up responded "Sorry you hate fun" so I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope that this is going to be anything more than a Marvel movie.

That is probably going to be case. Surprised if there is not humor around. They tend to add it into almost every movie even if comics were serious(and most were except at least Spider-man).

• Like 2

I'll still see this for a few reasons: one, it's Marvel. Two, Tony Leung is in it. Three, it's one of the final films that Brad Allan worked on before his passing. Disney chief Bob Iger revealed that unlike some other previous Disney films, this will be exclusively only in theaters. However, he's going to follow the Paramount+ schematic. The film will debut on Disney+ 45 days after the theatrical release with no premier access charge.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/venom-sequel-delayed-shang-chi-stays/

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
56 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

I'll still see this for a few reasons: one, it's Marvel. Two, Tony Leung is in it. Three, it's one of the final films that Brad Allan worked on before his passing. Disney chief Bob Iger revealed that unlike some other previous Disney films, this will be exclusively only in theaters. However, he's going to follow the Paramount+ schematic. The film will debut on Disney+ 45 days after the theatrical release with no premier access charge.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/venom-sequel-delayed-shang-chi-stays/

That’s awesome news. My wife’s a little antsy about the Delta Variant so I’m not sure I’ll make it to the theater to see this one.

• Like 1

The theater is one of the only social activities I trust these days. it's well ventilated and they're following seating protocols.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Can we have a round of applause (and an explanation!?) for IMDB's description - 

ShangChi.JPG.374c46a81b544aa2becf8eb4bbd3e3db.JPG

Whoever wrote that....ummmm.....:lipssealed

• Like 2

Majin Android

Stoked on this one. Can’t wait. My only gripe is Marvel could have planted more seeds of this mythos in it’s earlier films. I imagine that’s why a fair amount of movie goers are clueless to the character. Heard the movie and post credit scenes will tie it all together really well.

Also one of Brad Allan’s last films before passing too early.

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

I read one reaction to the film that says a lot of stuff was kept out of the trailer. I'm happy to hear that since none of the trailers really blew me away.

• Like 3