Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021) - Simu Liu, Tony Leung Chiu-Wai, Awkwafina

AlbertV

According to IMDB, Jackie Chan Stunt Team member Vi-Dan Tran will be designing the action sequences with Alan Tang (not the HK star, but a Canadian-based wushu champion) serving as fight coordinator.

• Like 3

Creed II's big bad Viktor Drago himself, Florian Munteanu, is being cast as one of the secondary villains (Tiger Claw, Moving Shadow, Razor-Fist, and Ghost Maker) who may be set to appear in the Bloodsport-style tournament scene against the titular martial arts hero, played by Simu Liu.

https://thedisinsider.com/2020/03/08/creed-2-star-florian-munteanu-reportedly-joins-marvels-shang-chi/

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

Shooting on the first-unit portion of the film has temporarily halted on the film as director Destin Daniel Cretton has undergone self-isolation to be tested for the COVID-19. The second-unit are in Sydney and Cretton's being extra cautious as he just recently became a dad to a newborn. An update on the shoot is to be expected within the next few days.

UPDATE: Disney has halted production on all live action films completely for now .

https://www.darkhorizons.com/marvels-shang-chi-suspends-shoot/

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

DragonClaws

An Interview with Comic Book Artist Paul Gulacy

(By Jeffrery Klaehn)

Comic book artist Paul Gulacy first began working in comics in 1974 and has worked in a wide variety of genres, including martial arts and espionage, horror, and superheroes. He is perhaps most widely known for his pioneering...

Link- https://www.academia.edu/31603044/An_Interview_with_Comic_Book_Artist_Paul_Gulacy

• Like 1

Anyone wants an idea of Simu Liu's skills check out this Twitter post of a 55 second film he did with Wang Zhenwei (yes from the Karate Kid remake) and Vi-Dan Tran. Looks like Wang now goes by "Zac Wang".

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

Drunken Monk

This looks great. A nice blend of typical Marvel stuff and martial arts. I hope they don’t overdo it with the slow mo but otherwise, the action looks superb.

• Like 3

ZenkaigerBat

Meh, It's okay....Still not too thrilled Tony Leung will never share the same room with RDJ to see a true Iron man Vs Mandrain battle like it should'ev been.   I hope the actual flim is better than the teaser...

• Like 3

OpiumKungFuCracker

Tony Leung is going to steal this movie.  I don't remember but wasn't he like a Triad member in Hard Boiled? I do recall him playing more villainous roles movie.

On 4/20/2021 at 12:41 AM, Drunken Monk said:

This looks great. A nice blend of typical Marvel stuff and martial arts. I hope they don’t overdo it with the slow mo but otherwise, the action looks superb.

Yeah I'm worrisome about that slo mo too.  Don't go all Zack Snyder 300 on me now, lol.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Tony Leung is going to steal this movie.  I don't remember but wasn't he like a Triad member in Hard Boiled? I do recall him playing more villainous roles movie.

He was an undercover cop infiltrating the Triads in Hard-Boiled. I will say I can't wait to see him as The Mandarin aka Wenwu.

• Like 3

Shaolin Patriot

Equally excited about seeing Tony Leung (and Michelle Yeoh).  Looking forward to a solid action film.  Hope there won't be too much over-the-top comedy (courtesy of Awkwafina).

• Like 4

Nope... Sorry folks not feeling this at all. And am I the only one tired of seeing Awkwafina? It's pretty much copy & paste for every movie she's in.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, laagi said:

Nope... Sorry folks not feeling this at all. And am I the only one tired of seeing Awkwafina? It's pretty much copy & paste for every movie she's in.

You didn't see The Farewell then. That movie actually gave her a major boost because she went against type and earned her rave amongst fans and even critics. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

You didn't see The Farewell then. That movie actually gave her a major boost because she went against type and earned her rave amongst fans and even critics. 

I did and if I'm not mistaken it was the first one for me to see her on the big screen. Great movie! But eversince she's been typecast as the comic relief in everything I've see her since. Even when lending her voice talent in Raya. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, laagi said:

I did and if I'm not mistaken it was the first one for me to see her on the big screen. Great movie! But eversince she's been typecast as the comic relief in everything I've see her since. Even when lending her voice talent in Raya. 

it sure beats Neighbors 2...when she started rapping...I'm like oh gawd no! :lol: I just she doesn't overdo the comic tones in Shang-Chi. 

• Like 3

OpiumKungFuCracker

Awkwafina is the female version of ken jeong, both equally annoying and not funny. But for this movie I'll let it pass cause Tony Freaking Leung is in this. 

• Like 3

The trailer looked as about interesting as the Mortal Kombat one. Perhaps the fight choreography looks a little bit better than the trailer but both of these films are looking pretty generic. I think all the life that was in the comics has been sucked out. And, it might seem that I am stuck these days complaining about the same things. But, these movies are looking more and more cookie-cutter; even the trailers are cut to look the same. Of course, times have changed and one can no longer get away with using the likeness of Bruce Lee. But, the actor playing the role just doesn't speak "action star" to me. No charisma. Otherwise, the plot looks rather boring and generic. Hoping there's more to the story. But, it's still probably going to do well at the box office as it appears to sign off on the Marvel check-list. These movies will continue to make money until people get tired of the formula. Perhaps the only risk here is that the comics were Master of Kung Fu. Though I think that the characters name was mentioned on the covers. But, not as well known as Iron Man, Tony Stark or Peter Parker, Spiderman. The only Marvel movie I am really looking forward to is Moon Knight. But, they will probably find some way to screw it up. Cant wait to see what they do with the costume for that character.

• Like 2