Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021) - Simu Liu, Tony Leung Chiu-Wai, Awkwafina

AlbertV

ShaOW!linDude
18 hours ago, AlbertV said:

Another name possibly on the list is Ross Butler, who is best known for playing Reggie Mantle on season 1 of Riverdale before being replaced by Charles Melton. Butler is 6'2" but has no real martial arts skills. 

Wrong answer. Can't have this. Nope.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Wrong answer. Can't have this. Nope.

I totally agree! Ludi Lin would make a better choice. I would personally want to cast Andy Long Nguyen or Andy Le in the role though *sigh*

• Like 4

According to a report by Variety, Marvel is looking for an actor in his 20s and is strictly of Chinese descent, no other Asian ethnicity. Chances are that Marvel may be looking for a newcomer? I thought of one name in this case and it would be great to see him again on screen: Wang Zhenwei, who played bully Cheng in The Karate Kid remake. He fits the bill, He's 23, Chinese, and a wushu champion. I would love to see him get a shot at playing Shang-Chi. 

However, despite the age portion, more fan-excited names that came up include Daniel WuHuang ZitaoMax ZhangAshton Chen (the former Sik Siu-Lung), Jackson Wang and Eddie Peng

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/marvel-shang-chi-china-avengers-1203268595/

https://www.jaynestars.com/news/marvels-casting-criteria-for-shang-chi/

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

I've seen a  number of people mention Daniel Wu. The dude is 44! They should definitely aim for younger than that. I hope they go for a mid-twenties actor rather than someone super young.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I've seen a  number of people mention Daniel Wu. The dude is 44! They should definitely aim for younger than that. I hope they go for a mid-twenties actor rather than someone super young.

They are. And they also need someone who actually has martial arts skills to boot. Not just train for the film and be constantly doubled. They want to make it authentic? Find someone who knows his stuff.

• Like 5

In comic Shang Chi is 19 so have no trouble if actor is "superyoung" as long as martial skills are up to standards. It would likely make better serie than movie but certainly looking forward to it...

• Like 4

Awkwafina also scored a role in the film.

Here's Shang-Chi himself, Simu Liu. He did his screen test last Sunday and was picked two days later. 

Simu-Liu-Feet-4129856.jpg

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 5

ShaOW!linDude
16 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

An unknown Canadian, Simu Liu, has been cast as Shang-Chi. Tony Leung will be The Mandarin.

Check out Kim's Convenience on Netflix. Fantastic comedy. He's a good actor. And check out his IMDb page. He trains in martial arts (what style I don't know), and he's done some stunt work. In fact, he was a stunt member in Kill Order. I'm cool with the casting choice of him as the character. He apparently has both acting and MA chops. What I'm curious about is the plot line Disney/Marvel have in mind for him.
Simu Liu IMDb page

• Like 6

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Okay, Simu Liu's 30, not 19, but he's Chinese (thank Heaven's!) and has a martial arts background. So far so good.

I watched ORPHAN BLACK for the first three seasons, but then it went off the rails (for me) so I never saw Liu who appeared in the fifth season. Haven't seen anything else he's been in. How about you guys and gals? Anyone seen Mr. Liu in anything? He was in a comedy in 2013 called KUNG FU COPS- anybody seen it?

"Tony" Chiu Wai Leung as The Mandarin? Oh yeah! Cool casting.

I watched OCEAN'S 8 recently on HBO and didn't expect much as I'd heard middling reviews, but it was very entertaining and Awkwafina stole nearly every scene she was in. She's a natural talent with great comic timing. Then when we saw YESTERDAY there was a trailer before it for the upcoming dramatic film THE FAREWELL, and just what I saw her doing in that was terrific work. So I guess I'm a fan of hers already. Haven't seen CRAZY RICH ASIANS yet, but I heard she's good in that too.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

I watched OCEAN'S 8 recently on HBO and didn't expect much as I'd heard middling reviews, but it was very entertaining and Awkwafina stole nearly every scene she was in. She's a natural talent with great comic timing. Then when we saw YESTERDAY there was a trailer before it for the upcoming dramatic film THE FAREWELL, and just what I saw her doing in that was terrific work. So I guess I'm a fan of hers already. Haven't seen CRAZY RICH ASIANS yet, but I heard she's good in that too.

She is the annoying funny type in Crazy Rich Asians. The 1st movie I saw her in was Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising where she played the rapping member of the sorority that goes up against Seth Rogen and crew.

Here are a few South China Morning Post articles, one on Simu Liu and why casting Tony Leung Chiu-Wai as the "Mandarin" is a good thing:

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/entertainment/article/3019549/simu-liu-marvels-first-leading-asian-superhero-who-exactly

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/entertainment/article/3019592/five-reasons-why-tony-leungs-casting-marvel-villain

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
4 hours ago, AlbertV said:

She is the annoying funny type in Crazy Rich Asians. The 1st movie I saw her in was Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising where she played the rapping member of the sorority that goes up against Seth Rogen and crew.

Here are a few South China Morning Post articles, one on Simu Liu and why casting Tony Leung Chiu-Wai as the "Mandarin" is a good thing:

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/entertainment/article/3019549/simu-liu-marvels-first-leading-asian-superhero-who-exactly

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/entertainment/article/3019592/five-reasons-why-tony-leungs-casting-marvel-villain

Oh, okay. I did see NEIGHBORS 2, I just didn't remember her from that.

Thanks for the links @AlbertV. I was surprised that in the article about Tony Leung, of all the films the mentioned, HARD BOILED wasn't one of them. To me that is one of his most accomplished and iconic roles.

• Like 3

Here's a fun video Simu Liu did on the comedy news show The Beavertion about casting not Asians...but Canadians as superheroes LOL

• Like 4

ShaOW!linDude

Came across some interesting tidbits recently. Heads up, @Karlos.

According to this, Jessica Henwick of the Netflix series Iron Fist may be in the running to play MI6 agent/Shang Chi love interest Leiko Wu. I've said from the get go that she would be ideal for this part. I am really hoping this pans out.

Jessica Henwick casting?

Also this was an interesting article that cites a rumor going around that Shang Chi may be facing multiple villains as the film might carry some tournament style fighting. Again, this would be ideal to me, and I'm hoping it pans out. Be a great way to have the Marvel "Master of Kung Fu" actually showcase some various martial art styles.

Possible villains

Edited by ShaOW!linDude
  • Like 5