Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021) - Simu Liu, Tony Leung Chiu-Wai, Awkwafina

AlbertV

scn_00131.jpg

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is gearing up to finally bring Shang Chi: Master of Kung Fu to its cinematic universe. As mentioned prior to his death, Stan Lee had wanted to do a movie adaptation with Brandon Lee. Now, it has been reported that Chinese-American scribe Dave Callaham (The Expendables, Wonder Woman 1984, Godzilla 2014) has been hired to write the film and that Marvel is looking at either an Asian or Asian-American director to take on the project. 

https://deadline.com/2018/12/shang-chi-marvel-studios-first-asian-film-superhero-dave-callaham-kevin-feige-black-panther-1202512660/

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/marvel-studios-shang-chi-movie-dave-callaham-writing-1203078923/

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 4

On 12/4/2018 at 3:41 PM, AlbertV said:

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is gearing up to finally bring Shang Chi: Master of Kung Fu to its cinematic universe. As mentioned prior to his death, Stan Lee had wanted to do a movie adaptation with Brandon Lee. Now, it has been reported that Chinese-American scribe Dave Callaham (The Expendables, Wonder Woman 1984, Godzilla 2014) has been hired to write the film and that Marvel is looking at either an Asian or Asian-American director to take on the project. 

@Karlos made a post about this here.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU

It won't sell in Asia. A number one son would never defy his father. He would just mope around and carry out his wishes. Confucian culture. Actually, most kids won't defy their parents unless they are American for the most part. And I loved the comic book. May sell in the West. Also, Fu Manchu? Kind of a racist Yellow Peril with everyone uber sensitive. Of course, all the crimes that Fu did are still being done in China on the DL. Human Trafficking, drugs, counterfeiting, etc. Anyway, get a some Chinese advisors. I think it is a hard sell.

• Like 5

ShaOW!linDude
10 hours ago, Karlos said:

Be interesting to see just how much of the character's backstory is used - Fu Manchu is almost certainly out!

Yeah, that'll pretty much be a given.

On 12/4/2018 at 10:47 AM, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Also, Fu Manchu? Kind of a racist Yellow Peril with everyone uber sensitive. Of course, all the crimes that Fu did are still being done in China on the DL. Human Trafficking, drugs, counterfeiting, etc. Anyway, get a some Chinese advisors. I think it is a hard sell.

It would be a Chinese protagonist vs a Chinese antagonist. I don't see how that would that be racist. Chinese cinema has been doing that for years.

And @Karlos is right. Neither Marvel nor Disney has the rights to the character. I honestly think the studio will be looking to play up the MI-6 angle for more of a spy thriller with heavy MA action. Still I do hope it's a Chinese villain and that film has a proper grounded throwdown for the finale. My real concern is this will be a wire fu extravaganza.

• Like 5

NoKUNGFUforYU

Didn't you know, kung fu experts from China can fly!? Except in the ring....LOL! 

Anyway, kind of hard to do Shang Chi without Fu Manchu. Might be easier to remake Enter the Dragon and have a new series based on where that may have lead with Williams, and let Roper get dropped in acid. And set it in the 70's, just for fun. Anyway, we will see. For all we know Chinese audiences may be fine with a Fu Manchu. They really didn't care about having some white characters displacing Asian ones in DR Strange. I mean, there are drug runners and human traffickers in China.

• Like 4

Didn't they retrovent the Fu Manchu connection in recent years when Marvel lost the rights to the character?
(Always did want to make a Fu Manchu movie, a tad cliched but come on a seemingly immortal Fu Manchu and the last descendent of Nayland Smith fighting one last time!)

My fist thought would be Philip Ng would make one hell of a Shang Chi, Collin Chou/Ngai Sing when he was younger would have been perfect...i'd also suggest Jean-Paul Ly from Jail Break and Nightshooters as one hell of a consideration

I just hope Shang Chi doesnt fall into the development hell that engulfed IRON FIST for so long, i still remember sitting down with Kirk Wong and Chan Wai-man to talk about the IRON FIST movie they were in talks to do with Ray Park as Danny Rand back in the day ....the Iron Fist series was such a disappointment, from the wrong casting and wrong characterization of Danny Rand....and short changing the action team on Season One, Brett Chan and his guys were lumbered with an actor who rarely attended training sessions and directors who rarely listened to them ref angles and edits for the action...they made Jessica Henwick look good as she put in the work.....   2nd Season was a slight improvement but still under served the character so much.

• Like 5

Philip Ng would be great, I agree.

I have high hopes that the film finally gets made this time - remember when Ang Lee's name was attached to this back in 2001!

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude
9 hours ago, Mike Leeder said:

My fist thought would be Philip Ng would make one hell of a Shang Chi, Collin Chou/Ngai Sing when he was younger would have been perfect...i'd also suggest Jean-Paul Ly from Jail Break and Nightshooters as one hell of a consideration

4 hours ago, Karlos said:

Philip Ng would be great, I agree.

Ugh. Philip Ng. He has never impressed me as a screen fighter.

Jean-Paul Ly? Maybe. I've only seen him in Jailbreak and I think he was a good screen fighter in that. I'm anxious to see Nightshooters.

Back in the day, I would have loved to see Mark Dacascos in the role. Shoot, I was even down for Tony Jaa to take it on 10 - 12 years ago, even if he is Thai.

Honestly, I think a new up and comer would be good for the role. Someone with the look, age, talent, and some actual formal training to stay with it for a few years. We really need another young Donnie Yen/Jet Li/ Jackie Chan. And the right choreographer and director is going to be key. I really think that since Shang Chi is a master of Kung Fu, this would be a great time to get to a little of the "old school" screen fighting, and show the general public some segments of "shapes" and various styles. Nothing like what we as fans of the genre love because Joe Public really hasn't developed a taste for it, but I think it would be a nice way to introduce them to it. I doubt any of that will happen, but I can dream.

• Like 3

Wasn't Rain mentioned a while back?

I really liked Philip Ng in Birth of the Dragon, even though he didn't get to do that much, MA wise.

A newbie, I have a feeling, is exactly what we are going to get.

A MoKF film and a potentially interesting new MA star in the mix, as well?  Cool!

• Like 3

Yeah, I think Marvel will go with someone new. There isn't a big enough well-known talent pool for them to pick from. Jean-Paul Ly is great but...well...he's awfully French. So I doubt he'd be the right fit for the role. Philip Ng is definitely a possibility but I'm with @ShaOW!linDude, he's done very little to impress me.

The one thing they need to get right is the choreography. I don't care if it's the Uwais Team, Larnell Stovall or Yuen Woo Ping doing the fights. They just need to give us great action. You can't have a character called "Master of Kung Fu" and give us Iron Fist quality fights.

• Like 4

Maybe Andy Le or Daniel Mah from Martial Club could play the role of Shang Chi, or even Andy Long or Max Huang? I even thought of David Sakurai. While he's been doing more non-action roles (including the recent Fantastic Beasts movie), he did impress me with the short film Echoes of a Ronin (Tim Man choreographed and even fought Sakurai in that one). Would be awesome if they can get as the aforementioned Uwais Team, Stovall, Yuen Woo-Ping, or even Tim Man to serve as action director.

• Like 4

ShaOW!linDude
5 hours ago, rdenn said:

max zhang would be good for the role

Hmmm. He strikes me as a touch older than what I'd envision for the character. But that's me.

6 hours ago, AlbertV said:

Maybe Andy Le or...even Andy Long...

This!!! This would be someone along the lines of who the studio should consider. Good call.

6 hours ago, AlbertV said:

I even thought of David Sakurai.

Maybe 10 - 15 years ago. I've seen some of the short films he's done. He's got some chops, but seems more drama driven. And he's rolling up on 40, another I'd consider a touch older than what I'd envision.

8 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Jean-Paul Ly is great but...well...he's awfully French

That owned me. You always make me laugh.:rofl

8 hours ago, Karlos said:

Wasn't Rain mentioned a while back?

I think I remember that, too, but wasn't it a good while back? Like a year or so after Ninja Assassin?

• Like 2

Interesting - and exciting - to see so much new talent being given a shot at the big Comic Book movies - Wan on Aquaman, Cathy Yan on Birds of Prey and now this.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
3 minutes ago, Karlos said:

Interesting - and exciting - to see so much new talent being given a shot at the big Comic Book movies - Wan on Aquaman, Cathy Yan on Birds of Prey and now this.

New NON-WHITE talent. It's great.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Karlos said:

Don't forget Chloe Zhao, who will be directing Jack Kirby's Eternals for Marvel.

• Like 3

"There are new additions to the [Marvel] cinematic universe such as Eternals, which will be led by Angelina Jolie and start shooting this year [2019], and Shang-Chi, centered on an Asian hero yet to be cast that will shoot after Eternals."  From https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/robert-downey-jrs-massive-payday-tops-avengers-endgame-star-deals-1205835?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social  

Speculation on the release date of the Shang-Chi movie, based on the info from The Hollywood Reporter - "Consequently, the film's rumored occupancy of the February 18, 2022 slot on Marvel's release schedule remains realistic."  From https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/marvel/277973/shang-chi-movie-news

Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 3

Power Rangers actor Ludi Lin is being considered for the titular role and Donnie Yen is being considered for a different role. Lin is a martial artist, trained in Wushu from former Hong Kong action star Bruce Fontaine as well as Jiu-Jitsu and Muay Thai. Another name possibly on the list is Ross Butler, who is best known for playing Reggie Mantle on season 1 of Riverdale before being replaced by Charles Melton. Butler is 6'2" but has no real martial arts skills. 

http://www.darkhorizons.com/lin-yen-rumored-for-marvels-shang-chi/

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 4