Candyman (2021) - Yahya Abdul Mateen II, Teyonah Paris, Colman Domingo, Tony Todd

AlbertV

Candyman-Tony-Todd.jpg

Jordan Peele is bringing back Candyman in a reimagining of the 1992 horror film based on a Clive Barker story. He co-wrote the script with Win Rosenfeld and the duo are also serving as the film's producers. Nia DaCosta will be helming the film. The film was given a release date of June 12, 2020 from MGM.

Peele had this to say:

“The original was a landmark film for black representation in the horror genre. Alongside Night of the Living Dead, Candyman was a major inspiration for me as a filmmaker — and to have a bold new talent like Nia at the helm of this project is truly exciting. We are honored to bring the next chapter in the Candyman canon to life and eager to provide new audiences with an entry point to Clive Barker’s legend.”

Tony Todd played the titular character in a trilogy of films from 1992 to 1999.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/candyman-reboot-nia-dacosta-jordan-peele-1203037897/

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

yahya-abdul-mateen-ii.jpg?w=1000&h=563&c

Black Manta himself, Yahya Abdul Mateen II, is in final negotiations to play the titular role of the new Candyman for producer Jordan Peele and director Nia DaCosta. 

Update: He's not playing Candyman, but an artist who has an obsession with the titular killer.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/mgm-jordan-peele-aquamans-yahha-abdul-mateen-ii-as-their-new-candy-man-1203144190/

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

Update: Tony Todd was personally contacted by Jordan Peele about returning to the franchise, but in a new role. A contract is still awaiting Todd. In the meantime, Lakeith Stanfield, who co-starred in Peele's Get Out, will play the lead role of Anthony, an artist who finds himself obsessed with Daniel Robataille, now officially played by Yahya Abdul Mateen II.

https://geektyrant.com/news/tony-todd-will-be-back-for-jordan-peeles-candyman-reboot

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

For as long as residents can remember, the housing projects of Chicago’s Cabrini Green neighborhood were terrorized by a word-of-mouth ghost story about a supernatural killer with a hook for a hand, easily summoned by those daring to repeat his name five times into a mirror. In present day, a decade after the last of the Cabrini towers were torn down, visual artist Anthony McCoy and his girlfriend, gallery director Brianna Cartwright, move into a luxury loft condo in Cabrini, now gentrified beyond recognition and inhabited by upwardly mobile millennials.

With Anthony’s painting career on the brink of stalling, a chance encounter with a Cabrini Green old-timer exposes Anthony to the tragically horrific nature of the true story behind Candyman. Anxious to maintain his status in the Chicago art world, Anthony begins to explore these macabre details in his studio as fresh grist for paintings, unknowingly opening a door to a complex past that unravels his own sanity and unleashes a terrifyingly viral wave of violence that puts him on a collision course with destiny.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

Looks great. I like the idea of a new character embodying Candyman and taking over the Tony Todd legacy. It’s a nice spin.

I adore the original movie so I’m excited for this one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Looks great. I like the idea of a new character embodying Candyman and taking over the Tony Todd legacy. It’s a nice spin.

Tony Todd is appearing in the film, but his role is under wraps. Speculation is that he is returning to the iconic role of Daniel Robataille, the titular "Candyman".

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

Tony Todd is appearing in the film, but his role is under wraps. Speculation is that he is returning to the iconic role of Daniel Robataille, the titular "Candyman".

That’s his voice in the trailer, for sure. Just a bit older and a bit more grizzled. I can see him being Candyman but the film being about him possessing Mateen’s character.

• Like 4

I'm not a fan of Jordan Peele, so I think I'll skip this one and finally watch the original. 

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch
On 5/25/2021 at 1:34 PM, DarthKato said:

I'm not a fan of Jordan Peele, so I think I'll skip this one and finally watch the original. 

I'm not a fan of Peele either and I liked the original.  Now I'm curious on what you will think of the original.

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

The original, in my eyes, is a timeless horror movie. While it might not be outright scary, it has a wonderful eeriness about it. I hope the sequel captures the same feel.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

I'm not a fan of Peele either and I liked the original.  Now I'm curious on what you will think of the original.

I usually have a Horror movie marathon in October for Halloween(One movie per day, leading up to watching Halloween(1978) as the finally). So I'm planning on finally picking up a copy of Candyman and adding it to the list for this year. I'll make sure to get on here after watching it and talk about what I thought of it. 

• Like 3

This one really flew under my radar as I didn't really see/hear many people talking about it. With that said, I decided to rent it over the weekend. I can honestly say it's one of my favourite films of 2021.

It's very different from the original film and it has a LOT to say about racism, police brutality and the art scene (though some of that went over my head since I'm not a part of that world). But beyond these themes, it works as a standalone horror movie. It's eerie and very violent at times.
But I think audiences will get the most out of it if they explore the themes. The compartmentalization of black trauma and gentrification, for example. It's very interesting.

I don't think it'll be for everyone. It's a great horror movies but the horrors run deep. There's much more than just surface level scares here. 

• Like 1