Chop Sockey: Cinema Hong Kong (2003) - T.V Documentary

DragonClaws

Thought I'd seen most of the H.K film documentaries out there, but this made for T.V production, is new to me. Written and Directed by Ian Taylor, who also directed the T.V features Cinema H.K The Beauties of The Shaw's Studio & Cineam H.K: Wuxia, both of whcih I've posted links for already. You can find those in the Shaw Brothers forum.

Have you seen this 2003 production from Discovery Channel International?, and if so, what are your thoughts?

A look at Hong Kong action films, from their roots in choreography of Beijing Opera and the Wuxia tradition of honorable solitary fighters to the evolution in film from martial arts (swordplay) to Kung Fu (fists, feet, and sticks). Talking heads discuss actors: the stylized fighting of David Chiang, the realism of Bruce Lee, and the comedy of Jackie Chan. They discuss directors: King Hu and Cheng Che, whose work leads to international successes of Ang Lee and John Woo. There's a demonstration of editing in the camera, and there are discussions of Japan's influence, the increased violence of 70s and 80s films, the emergence of the superhero, and the films' cultural subtext. - IMDB

MV5BMTk2MTM0NDA5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjI3

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those who havent seen this documentary, here it is, broken down into six sections.

I think this is basically a re-edit/re-mix of those 3 dvd’s. Though, with an English language preference. It’s still really good. A nice companion. I actually own this but haven’t watched in years. I also own two of the three of those Celestial dvd’s. I do somewhat regret not getting The Beauties of SB. 

I really wish they would re-release these on Blu-ray with some additional interviews.

Archived