Red Blade (2018) Ninja Action Thriller with Tak Sakaguchi

whitesnake

Red Blade is a new Japanese "ninja action thriller" directed by Ishikara Takahiro (Snake of Violence) and getting a Japanese release on December 15, 2018.  Ogura Yuka (Werewolf Game: Inferno) stars as "Mako, a school girl whose parents were once taken away by Yakuza.  A victim of bullying by her new peers, her escape into ninja-centric graphic novels manifests into reality as she finds herself in the throes of a ninja clan where she's recruited to eventually face off with the villainous Harada, played by actor Iwanaga Joey [Samurai Marathon 1855]."  Tak Sakaguchi "co-stars as the master under whom our heroine trains, in addition to serving as general director alongside Ishihara."  Info from https://filmcombatsyndicate.com/red-blade-trailer-2/  Trailer - 

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

Hmmm. I want to be excited for this, but I have mixed feelings about the trailer.

Some aspects of it look intriguing, others come across with some questionable production values.

Or maybe it's the Japanese school girl motif that I just find so tiring.

The website and trailer do some serious name dropping... Sion Sono is credited for the concept/idea, Yuji Shimomura/Tak Sakaguchi/ Yoshitaka Inagawa (the Re:Born team) for opening scene action choreography while the main action direction credit goes to Makoto Sakaguchi (the little karate girl in Tokyo Tribe!!!)

For what it is (a DTV film with limited theatrical release) this looks a bit more watchable than I expected.

Archived