The Mandalorian - "Star Wars" Spin-Off TV Series

AlbertV

Jon Favreau has joined the Star Wars universe as writer and executive producer of a new spin-off TV series entitled The Mandalorian.

The series acts as a bridge between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens. The series will revolve around the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic.

Casting is currently underway with two names already set: Pedro Pascal will play the lone gunfighter and in an unspecified role is former MMA fighter turned actor Gina Carano

Dave Filoni, Taika Waititi, Rick Famuyiwa, Deborah Chow and Bryce Dallas Howard will all direct episodes, which will premiere in 2019 on Disney+, the new Disney streaming service.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/pedro-pascal-to-lead-the-mandalorian/

http://www.darkhorizons.com/carano-joins-star-wars-series-mandalorian/

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to IMDB for The Mandalorian - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8111088/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast - the following actors will be on one episode each of The Mandalorian - Omid Abtahi, Gina Carano, Ciancarlo Esposito, Werner Herzog, Nick Nolte, Emily Swallow.  The news is also announced at https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/star-wars-weekly-the-mandalorian-gets-some-surprise-casting-news-and-the-falcon-arrives

DragonClaws

At what point did actor Carl Weather join this show? Some new stills via Disney below.

Gina Carano

the-mandalorian-gina-carano-600x400.jpg

Carl Weathers

the-mandalorian-carl-weathers-600x398.jp

the-mandalorian-pedro-pascal-2-600x398.j

the-mandalorian-pedro-pascal-600x399.jpg

According to IMDB, Carl Weathers is in at least the first episode of The Mandalorian.  He plays "Greef, who runs a guild of bounty hunters and is the man who sets the Mandalorian up with his latest important assignment.  

Star Wars Celebration 2019 was held in Chicago over the past weekend, with panels, guests, etc.  Some info on the Mandalorian panel and a couple of series updates are included in an article here - https://deadline.com/2019/04/mandalorian-disney-plus-star-wars-starwars-pedro-pascal-jon-favreau-filoni-1202595567/  and footage has shown up on Youtube.  Another article on the footage at https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2019/04/the-first-footage-from-the-mandalorian-just-kicked-our-damn-ass/

As of now Id say the show seems questionably promising. I really enjoyed what I saw, however that could have more to do with me just enjoying all thr new (live action) star wars content. Episode one goes the opposite character direction of Rogue One by not introducing any grabbing characters. Or perhaps similar (spoiler alert)

Spoiler

because the characters introduced either get shot down or cemented. The two being the blue alien from the beginning and droid near the end.

Very little explanation goes into the other areas the mandolorian infiltrates, leaving a very shallow feel for the fighting or killing of other aliens taking place. This results in an either intentional western/samurai style existential meandor, or underwriting. 

The mandolorian protagonist is so far entertaining to watch being that hes so powerful in combat, but nowhere nearly as engaging or personal with the gear on for obvious reasons. Its sort of like that vader meme of showing all his different emotions, where we have to guess and assume how mando is feeling and what his thoughts are in a lot of scenes. Trying to make out who he is under the helmet. Well probably get a face reveal sooner or later, next ep or who knows. Is it even announced whos playing him?

The mondolorians backstory that we see a part of seems very typical and rather generic. This may not be a problem if they dont harp on it for too long, but thats probably unlikely given that it is Star Wars.I wasnt incredibly impressed by the shootout near the end. It was more of a

Spoiler

shot-down as Mando and the droid barely take a hit before the turret comes out, which pulls them to stand behind a column for about 5 minutes while it gets blasted at. The scene remains a lousy attempt at a power action sequence even as the Mandolorian grabs the turret himself after shooting the operator off and spins in a too consistent 360 without any aiming movement. I did however feel like I was in a video game at that part. 

Then the ending of capturing a baby creature of Yoda's species seems a bit too obvious and crowd servicing. Once again trying so hard to make new Star Wars content pay homage to the original trilogy gone about too obvious and awkwardly.

All that being said I am still very excited to see how the series plays out. 

• Administrator
18 hours ago, Koravec said:

The mandolorian protagonist is so far entertaining to watch being that hes so powerful in combat, but nowhere nearly as engaging or personal with the gear on for obvious reasons. Its sort of like that vader meme of showing all his different emotions, where we have to guess and assume how mando is feeling and what his thoughts are in a lot of scenes. Trying to make out who he is under the helmet. Well probably get a face reveal sooner or later, next ep or who knows. Is it even announced whos playing him?

@Koravec, it's Pedro Pascal, from GAME OF THRONES, NARCOS, and KINGSMAN: THE GOLDEN CIRCLE.

I watched this last night with my son and I was grinning ear to ear from start to finish. I loved it. Basically this is the thing that every kid has been dreaming about since first sending 12 UPC symbols from the packaging of the original action figures to get the mysterious mail-order-only "Boba Fett" figure back in the late '70s. Yeah, I know THE MANDOLORIAN isn't actually about Boba Fett, but it's pretty damn close, and major wish-fulfillment for this life-long STAR WARS fan.

I didn't feel like @Koravec did about the character. Pascal does a lot with his walk, head tilt, and other actions to convey a lot despite the helmet. Perhaps because I am familiar with the actor, I could picture his face and emotions throughout the episode.

I enjoyed the spaghetti western in space flavor, and all the cool STAR WARS universe connections, from

Spoiler

Ugnauhts, an IG-droid, the fact that carbon-freezing has now become a standard way for bounty hunters to transport prisoners, Rodians (like Greedo), Jawas, Trandoshan (like Bossk), Kowakian monkey-lizards (like Salacious Crumb), power droids, and the fact that stormtroopers are now like ronin for hire (this series takes place 5 years after the destruction of the second Death Star and the fall of the Empire).

I enjoy being in this universe so much. Thrilled with episode one and in great anticipation of the next one.

They're releasing an episode a week- 4 new hours of movie-quality STAR WARS per month. So it's kind of like paying $7 a month for about two films worth of content. I consider that a bargain!

I’ve enjoyed the show a lot so far (also got the Lone Wolf and Cub vibe) and felt like the third episode felt like a Xena episode. In a very good way.

You know how Xena would just wander into a new city and find herself in the middle of some skirmish? It felt a lot like that. And I loved it.

Baby Yoda is as cute as everyone says he is, too.

On 11/30/2019 at 10:13 PM, Koravec said:

Getting a big Lone Wolf and Cub parallel with Mando and baby yoda species. 

mandalorian_thechild_1_af408bfd.0.jpeg

He's like...What? (LOL)

the_mandelorian_-_publicity_still_-_h_20

He's like...WTF?! (LOL)

Kidding, I'm enjoying the series and love seeing Gina Carano appear in the 4th episode, even throwing a few fistacuffs with our hero :)

The-Mandalorian-Image-Gina-Carano-Cara-D

Episode 5 really shows Disneys influence with the casting and characterization Jonas Bro frat bro and Mary Herion Poppins lady. Hopefully we dont see or hear any more of these two.

This is a fantastic show,maybe they should consider Mr Favreau to direct or at least write  the next Star Wars outing.(whatever that maybe)

On February 18, 2020 at 10:30 AM, AlbertV said:

WWE Superstar Sasha Banks will be appearing in Season 2 of the series.

As cool as I find that also just kinda gives another reason to not take this series seriously imo.

So far havent found the series really particularly good or bad, just kinda watchable. Yet still anticipatable to continue watching as well.

Archived