What is your favorite wuxia movie?

Guest morgoth

Yes, I have and I liked them both a lot (was even tempted to put them on the list).

But I liked no. II a little better than the other two. Somehow it seemed a tad crazier and more extreme than the other two... And although Old Evil was quite a despicable villain(ess?), the demon priest was so much creepier - in my opinion at least. I also quite liked Autumn. And was delighted to see Ku Feng (he's one of my faves). And I thought that the swordsman was pretty cool, too...:-)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it was great to see Ku Feng. JAcky Cheung was also really good as the swordsman but I preferred Wu Ma from part 1. I liked part 3 the best. Crazy magic battles and the end is exciting.

Guest TambaChibaYama  IchiFune

U guys named some great movies there!! To be honest, i thought House of Flying Daggers was booooring. Thats my opinion though!! My top 3 (which is hard) would have to be.

1. Magic Blade

2. Last Hurrah for Chivalry

3. Duel to the Death

Guest sammofan

new tales of the flying fox

new one armed swordsman

the lady assassin

bichunmoo

crouching tiger hidden dragon

moon warriors

swordsman 2

come drink with me

the jade raksha

the avenging eagle

Guest JonT 1980

I hate to sound like a complete newb (which I am) but what exactly is a "wuxia" film?

Is there some kind of Kung Fu movie dictionary on this site or somewhere else? I'm pretty lost about a lot of things.

Guest morgoth

Basically it means that the movie takes place in the martial world and the story usually comes from Chinese literature. Really heroic kind of stuff. They usually fly around too.

And the martial world is an imaginary place where different clans fight eachother for rule of the martial world. Usually sword fights. And sometimes there are special effects and gimmicks used, usually in the new wave wuxias.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

1. Shaw Brothers.

Image005.JPG

2. Golden Harvest

sword.jpg

3. Korean

shadows4.jpg

4. Mainland China

27dagg.xlarge1.jpg

5. Taiwanese

7806-05.jpg

6. Any other choices.

Mine is Taiwanese.

GD Y-Y

OpiumKungFuCracker

I'm curious to know what yours are GD Y-Y. Bless your heart.

I can't think of any at the moment but I would go with most of them being from Golden Harvest and beyond. I haven't seen a lot of Shaw Brothers ones, they tend to be heroic blood shed and bashers.

From my most favourites to my less favourites (but still being favourites ! ) :

Shaw Brothers

TVB/ATV/Taiwanese series

Golden Harvest

Taiwanese

Cathay

Mainland

Korean

I don't have too many of these two last categories, so, it's dificult to say...

Secret Executioner

The Shaw Wu Xia would be my favorite, but most of the ones I've seen are SB productions, so...

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
I'm curious to know what yours are GD Y-Y. Bless your heart.

I can't think of any at the moment but I would go with most of them being from Golden Harvest and beyond. I haven't seen a lot of Shaw Brothers ones, they tend to be heroic blood shed and bashers.

Taiwanese is my favorite all in all.

TheSilverSpear%2B1979-96-b.jpg

GD Y-Y

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Shaw Brothers; especially those helmed by Sun Chung. In particular, The Deadly Breaking Sword, Judgement of An Assassin, The Avenging Eagle and Human Lanterns:smile (You were expecting to be surprised by my answer?)

Archived