What is your favorite wuxia movie?

Guest morgoth

Guest morgoth

I posted this topic in the modern day section because I love the movies made between 1990-1995, but feel free to post Shaw Brothers, Taiwanese, or any other wuxias from any year. I still have a lot to see, but here are my favorites-

1- Sword Stained with Royal Blood (Yuen Biao)

2- Hero (Jet Li)

3- Shaolin Intruders

4 - The Sword (Adam Cheng)

5 - Swordsman 2

6 - Green Snake

7- Shaolin Prince

8- Secret Service of the Imperial Court

9- Bride with White Hair

10- Face Behind the Mask

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chinatown Kid

Never have been into the wuxia's that much but my favorite would have to be Magic Blade. Last Hurrah For Chivalry is another one I liked quite alot.

Guest Yi Long

I like Bride with White Hair. Love Leslie's performance in it. It's kinda weird at times, with the twins...

Too bad it doesnt have a decent dvd release.

I LOVE Hero, I LOVE Flying Daggers, I really like CTHD, etc...

... but my all time favourite wuxia movie, without a doubt, is Ashes of Time. Leslie Cheung is just incredible in it, the music is one of the best soundtracks EVER, cinematography is legendary, it's deep, it practically DEMANDS repeated viewing, etc etc etc.

It's a @#%$ crime that SUPER MARIO BROS has a decent DVD release, while this masterpiece hasnt >:

Guest morgoth

Whoops, I can't forget Avenging Eagle. That is definitely in my top 5. Kid With the Golden Arm is also up there for me, but not in my top 10.

Guest morgoth

they don't really fly around or anything, but like chinese Super Ninjas I would consider it a wuxia because it is a movie that takes place in the martial world.

Guest morgoth

Chinatown Kid- I haev to see MAgic Blade. And LAst Hurrah For Chivalry is great. That is my favorite John Woo movie.

Yi Long- are you not a fan of the Nintendo shows? Come on man. do the Mario!

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Of course Hero, CTHD, and HOFD. I will stay inside the 85-present parameter and also add:

Fire Dragon (very underated imo)

The Blade

Swordsman 2

Dragon Inn

Seven Swords

Burning Paradise

Blade Of Fury

Chinese Ghost Story

Bride With White Hair

Ashes Of Time

Bichunmoo

Guest ironfistedmonk2003

I prefer the pre 85 swordplay films myself but CTHD and Hero were pretty good. I'm with Gwailomofo on Fire Dragon, that is a very under-rated movie IMO, it does have some comedy which I usually hate in more modern made HK movies but it's bearable and the action is good courtesy of Yuen Woo Ping

Guest sikmao

here are some of my fav's:

-YELLOW RIVER FIGHTER (the lead actor is also the lead villian in Shao Lin Temple w/ Jet Li. the dude just ROCKS!)

-BUDDHA'S PALM (for the comic-like tone it has!)

-CLANS OF INTRIGUE

-MAGIC BLADE

-SWORDSMAN 2

-KILLER CLANS

-SWORD STAINED..W/RB...(i just happen to like this one!!!)

i don't know if this really fits into the "wuxia" genre, but i'll mention it anyway,

-ODD COUPLE(the choreography is brilliant, if you can get past the comedy!)

"when one part moves, all parts move." -taiji principle.:D

Guest GwaiLoMoFo
I am pretty sure Yellow River Fighter is not a wuxia, but that is a GREAT movie.

I didnt care much for this film. I watched it after seeing the first 3 Shaolin Temple films w/Jet Li and the lead character from YRF. I found it to be the weakest of those 4 films. The Dunken Sword technique he does is good, but its nothing different than what he did in the other 3 Shaolin Temple films. It was Ok, just a 3/5 imo. And its not a Wuxia film.

Guest Chen Zhen

im with u Beat...hero and CTHD are the only wuxia movies that i actually enjoyed. but even those 2 were tryin my patience..

Guest morgoth

Hero is one of my favorite movies ever but I didn't care much for Crouching Tiger. Have you seen Green Snake and Sword Stained With Royal Blood (Yuen Biao)? Those are deep movies.

Guest stormybman

These are my favs, from old skool to present day...

One Armed Swordsman

The Chase (Golden Harvest)

Magic Blade (Ti Lung is sooo Eastwood here)

Death Duel

The Sword (Adam Cheng)

Duel To The Death

Last Hurrah for Chivalry

Bride With White Hair

The Blade

Swordsman II

The Duel (Andy Lau/Ekin Cheng)

Moon Warriors

Musa, The Warrior

Bichunmoo

Hero

House of Flying Daggers

I like a few more however, I don't want to come across as a "name dropper"... 8)

"Do we fight alone...? Or, all together?!"

Guest dragon herb

My favorites:

Duel to the Death (1983)

Last Hurrah for Chivalry (1979)

The Blade (1995)

What Price Survival (1994)

Flying Daggers (2004)

Ashes of Time (1994)

Come Drink With Me (1966)

Some others I think are great:

Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan (1972)

Return of the Deadly Blade (1981)

Romance of Book and Sword (1987)

Princess Fragrance (1987)

Clans of Intrigue (1977)

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (2000)

Guest saberdjedi

Duel to the Death, Swordsman 2, New One Armed Swordsman, Hero, Last Hurrah for Chivalry, and Sword Stained with Royal Blood (Chang Cheh version). I'm also fond of Shaw Brother's New Tales of the Flying Fox, which is so cliche it's good. The fights are also great despite the lack of Lau Kar-leung's choreography.

From those relatively few that I've seen so far - New One-Armed Swordsman, Hero, Chinese Ghost Story II, Bride with White Hair, Green Snake and Magnificent Trio come to mind. For the time being, at least...:-)

Archived