The Street Fighter Collection Blu-ray Set from Shout! Factory

Ronin

Latest at https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-street-fighter-collection?product_id=6985

"Special Offer: Order from Shout!Factory.com and get an EXCLUSIVE 18"X24" ROLLED POSTER featuring our brand new artwork, available while supplies last!"

Also - "Product Note: To allow for more time to complete brand new transfers on all three films, we have moved the national street date to March 26, 2019.  Extras in progress and will be announced at a later date."

Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 2

Great news! 

The Street Fighter Collection is out 3/26/19 and today we are happy to share with you the breakdown of special features! See below for details and pre-order now at: https://www.shoutfactory.com/product...ighter trilogy.

DISC ONE: THE STREET FIGHTER
- NEW 2K Scan Of The Original Film Elements
- Uncut Version Of The Film (91 Minutes) With English And Japanese Audio

DISC TWO: RETURN OF THE STREETFIGHTER
- Uncut Version Of The Film (83 Minutes) With English And Japanese Audio

DISC THREE: THE STREET FIGHTER’S LAST REVENGE
- U.S. Cut Of The Film (80 Minutes) With English Audio
- Japanese Cut Of The Film (84 Minutes) With Japanese Audio

PLUS:

- NEW Interview With Star Sonny Chiba
- NEW Interview With Filmmaker Jack Shoulder
- Theatrical Trailers
- Still Gallery

• Like 8

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Vegeta84 said:

Great news! 

The Street Fighter Collection is out 3/26/19 and today we are happy to share with you the breakdown of special features! See below for details and pre-order now at: https://www.shoutfactory.com/product...ighter trilogy.

- Uncut Version Of The Film (91 Minutes) With English And Japanese Audio

DISC TWO: RETURN OF THE STREETFIGHTER
- Uncut Version Of The Film (83 Minutes) With English And Japanese Audio

- U.S. Cut Of The Film (80 Minutes) With English Audio
- Japanese Cut Of The Film (84 Minutes) With Japanese Audio

PLUS:

- NEW Interview With Star Sonny Chiba
- NEW Interview With Filmmaker Jack Shoulder
- Theatrical Trailers
- Still Gallery

Now all you purple-faced Sonny Chiba fans can finally stop holding your breath! Great news indeed. 😀

• Like 5

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Ronin said:

No mention of English subtitles, but Shout can't be that dumb, right? :evilgrin

There definitely ARE English subtitles for all three movies. 😄

• Like 5

• Administrator

Hey STREET FIGHTER / Chiba fans! More good news...

I'm happy to say that this set was produced by Cliff MacMillan, a guy we Asian cinema fans owe a debt to for all the great releases he's helped shepherd onto the home video market, like Chiba's "Oyama Trilogy" (KARATE BULLFIGHTER, KARATE BEAR FIGHTER, and KARATE FOR LIFE), THE KILLING MACHINE, the SISTER STREET FIGHTER DVD collection, SHADOW WARRIORS, THE EXECUTIONERS and it's sequel, SHOGUN'S NINJA, SHOGUN'S SHADOW, and many more. If you are reading this and don't own any of the releases I just mentioned, you read too much! Go to eBay and get them now! 😆 Anyway, Cliff really went above and beyond on this set to make it the very best it could be, working tirelessly right up until the last second to please us fans. As we are well aware, many of our favorite martial arts films are thrown out onto the home video market with little care or respect, so it's with a huge sigh of relief that this was not the case here.

Though I was simply hired to be the cover artist, I could not help but take a serious interest in how this set would be handled. I tried my best not to be obnoxious with my suggestions and hopes, as Cliff was in the difficult position of trying to make any of my far-reaching ideas into reality. I'm very grateful that he was kind enough to even bother listening to my ramblings, and shocked and delighted that he made it all (and much more) happen. The complications and hurdles that had to be overcome would even give Terry Tsurugi himself pause, but he got it done. The two biggest things that I want to point out to you guys are:

- The original English dubbed theatrical release of THE STREET FIGHTER'S LAST REVENGE was not only edited, but the order of some scenes were changed, and the dubbing changes the plot. So there was no way to simply include both the Japanese audio and the English dub without having two completely different versions of the film. Well, that's what happened- this set will include both versions! This is something that rarely ever happens, even for huge studio pictures. How long have fans pleaded/demanded that the original, unaltered version of STAR WARS IV: A NEW HOPE or the uncut version of KILL BILL, aka. KILL BILL- THE WHOLE BLOODY AFFAIR be released to Blu-ray, but to no avail? But still... we're getting the goods on this set.

- But for me, much more importantly... unless you saw THE STREET FIGHTER during it's original run in the theater, you've probably never heard the complete original English dub. Kind of a long story, but... When the film was originally released in US theaters it was rated X for violence, however, when it appeared on home video it was rated R and had been shorn of most violence (even the penultimate moment of the climax was missing!) including some non-bloody fighting exchanges and even some dialogue. For those that don't know how it works, the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) does not tell film producers what to cut to get a certain rating, which is how they are able to claim they are not "censors", simply providing a service by rating a film for studios to advertise it. So if filmmakers are trying or obligated to deliver a film that adheres to a specific rating, lets say PG-13 instead of R, they have to guess what is pushing them over into the R rating, editing only as little as they hope needs to be cut to achieve the PG-13 rating, then re-submit the film for rating. If it still doesn't get a PG-13 they have to go through the process again, which is not only time-consuming, but they have to pay each time they submit it to the MPAA for a rating. I learned all about this during the '80s when the MPAA was the bane of horror filmmakers' existence, and they were forcing them to shred their films to avoid getting an X rating (kind of ironic that the sort of stuff that had to be cut from an R-Rated slasher film like HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME can now be seen on a Prime-Time TV show like CSI or CRIMINAL MINDS, but I digress). At the time, getting branded with an X was the death knell for most non-Adult films, as most newspapers and TV stations wouldn't advertise them, and most theaters wouldn't book an X-rated film (no matter that it wasn't Adult fare).* Therefore I've deduced that when it was going to be put out on home video, they needed THE STREET FIGHTER to be rated R. So apparently, instead of paying the MPAA to have it reviewed for a rating over and over again while trimming it each time, they decided to just butcher the film and remove anything that could even vaguely be considered offensive or "R material". So in the middle of fights characters simply disappear with no explanation (in the original we see them being dispatched in all manners of tasty karate brutality), and it was already confusing enough due to the frenetic filming being cropped to full-screen, eliminating about 40% of the image! So this mangled version is what many of us grew up watching on VHS.

Jump forward to the early '90s when New Line (reportedly at the urging of Quentin Tarantino) finally released the STREET FIGHTER films to VHS and Laser Disc. Finally uncut, letterboxed, and as they should be... right? Not quite. They must've only had access to the English dub track from the heavily edited version of the movie, so they filled in the missing parts with new dubbing (which did not match very well) and somehow managed to screw up the best (and Chiba's first) line in the movie "My heart beats in this time." even though there was no reason to mess with the audio during this part. 😣 The line has an audio drop-out right in the middle of it so it sounds like "My heart this time."! Those bastards! 😡 It's an iconic line, as I said- my favorite- and so it was a major disappointment. Kind of akin to releasing DIRTY HARRY with his famous line "Do you feel lucky?" messed up to say "Do you lucky?"! Well, sadly, this was the best I figured we'd ever get. And now most people that have seen THE STREET FIGHTER are probably used to this version which was also used to create the many bootleg DVD releases over the subsequent years.

And now, knowing this Blu-ray release was my chance to possibly see these flaws corrected for all fans to finally see and hear the film properly, I jumped at the chance. I am so excited to say that thanks to our very own @wigsplitta providing the original uncut English dub (🙏), the notes of some rabid fan (who, me? ☺️), Cliff's incredible commitment, and his Shout! Factory team's hard work (under severe time constraints), the original English theatrical dub will be included in all its' glory! And... for those of you that are used to the re-release dub, that is also included (along with the original Japanese audio and optional English subs, of course). So everyone should be happy. I am beyond stoked for this release! 🤓

Here are the updated details for the release. Is it March 26th yet???? 😋

Bonus Features

• NEW 2K Scan Of The Original Film Elements Of The Uncut Version
  • Uncut Version Of The Film (91 Minutes) With English And Japanese Audio
  • Two English Dubs – The Theatrical Dub And The New Line Home Video Dub
  • NEW Street Fighting ManAn Interview With Star Sonny Chiba
  • NEW Cutting Moments – THE STREET FIGHTER Trailer – An Interview With Filmmaker Jack Sholder
  • U.S. Theatrical Trailer
  • Japanese Theatrical Trailer
  • Still Gallery

DISC TWO: RETURN OF THE STREET FIGHTER

• NEW 2K Scan Of The Original Film Elements Of The Uncut Version
  • Uncut Version Of The Film (83 Minutes) With English And Japanese Audio
  • U.S. Teaser Trailer
  • Still Gallery

• NEW 2K Scan Of The Original Film Elements Of The U.S. Cut (80 Minutes)
  • NEW 2K Scan Of The Original Film Elements Of The U.S. Cut With Standard Definition Inserts From The Original Japanese Cut (84 Minutes)
  • Still Gallery

Product Information

Discs: 3

Run-time: 91 / 83 / 84 mins

Color

Language: Japanese / English Dub

Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1

Region: A

Rating: R / Unrated

Close-Captioned: No

Subtitles: English

Production Date: 1974

It's also cool that both the Japanese and US trailers for each film will be included on the set. The US trailers are especially terrific Grind-house treasures, and feature some of my favorite hyperbolic trailer narrator declarations ever, such as "Terry Tsurugi, six foot six of half-breed fury". LOL 🤗 Plus, some very generous collectors contributed some stills, etc for the extras. Big thanks to Cliff, Shout! Factory, Mr. Wiggy Von Splitta, and everyone else that contributed to help make this set as cool as possible. Can't wait to see the new interviews and have all of this karate awesomeness in one beautiful little HD package!

So, based on this, I think 2019 is off to a great start as far as Asian cinema home video releases go... 😀

Note: From what I've gathered over the years they were all made and released in Japan in 1974, but their releases in the USA (according to IMDB) was as follows:

THE STREET FIGHTER- November 1st, 1974

RETURN OF THE STREET FIGHTER- December 3rd, 1975

THE STREET FIGHTER'S LAST REVENGE- February 16th, 1979

Perhaps the third film being released so long after the others explains why different voice actors were used for the English dub.

*George A. Romero and producer Richard Rubinstein were among the only horror filmmakers of the day to throw caution to the wind, refusing to edit their film DAWN OF THE DEAD to achieve an R-Rating, instead opting for the very risky move of releasing the film Unrated.

STREET FIGHTER 2- Japanese Poster 2.jpg

STREET FIGHTER- Still 26.jpg

STREET FIGHTER- Original US VHS Cover.jpg

• Like 10

18 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

• NEW 2K Scan Of The Original Film Elements Of The U.S. Cut (80 Minutes)
  • NEW 2K Scan Of The Original Film Elements Of The U.S. Cut With Standard Definition Inserts From The Original Japanese Cut (84 Minutes) 

I'm excited for the release of course, and have pre-ordered mine, but having to watch the far superior Japanese cut with SD inserts isn't exactly great news... especially when in Japan Toei is broadcasting and streaming it in HD.

• Like 2

• Administrator
On 2/13/2019 at 9:06 AM, Takuma said:

I'm excited for the release of course, and have pre-ordered mine, but having to watch the far superior Japanese cut with SD inserts isn't exactly great news... especially when in Japan Toei is broadcasting and streaming it in HD.

I understand, and in a perfect world using that would be a no-brainer, but unfortunately they didn't have access to it. So under the circumstances I'm very happy that we're getting the Japanese version at all.

• Like 5

On 2/14/2019 at 9:00 AM, KUNG FU BOB said:

I understand, and in a perfect world using that would be a no-brainer, but unfortunately they didn't have access to it. So under the circumstances I'm very happy that we're getting the Japanese version at all.

I'm cool with it.  As long as everything else is HD and in Japanese, I'm cool.  I can deal with 4 minutes of SD.  

Now the question remains, if this sells well enough, could we get more Chiba from Shout!?

Edited by Vegeta84
  • Like 4

Pre-ordered this as soon as I heard about it. Massive thanks to everyone involved behind the scenes, and an extra special thanks to our very own @KUNG FU BOB for applying just the right amount of advice/begging to get things done. Artwork appears to have scrubbed up ok too, btw 😀 🤣

• Like 3

• Administrator
2 hours ago, wigsplitta said:

Pre-ordered this as soon as I heard about it. Massive thanks to everyone involved behind the scenes, and an extra special thanks to our very own @KUNG FU BOB for applying just the right amount of advice/begging to get things done. Artwork appears to have scrubbed up ok too, btw 😀 🤣

Still hopeful that Shout! Factory will implement my idea to include one piece in every set of one of Tsurugi's enemies' body parts that was torn off in combat. You know, as a collector's keepsake. Gotta stay original with these collectibles, ya know? 🤓

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Still hopeful that Shout! Factory will implement my idea to include one piece in every set of one of Tsurugi's enemies' body parts that was torn off in combat. You know, as a collector's keepsake. Gotta stay original with these collectibles, ya know? 🤓

Superb idea. Dunno what I’d prefer though. Adam’s Apple, or meat & two veg 😆

• Like 3

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

For any fans that have yet to pick up this awesome set, it's currently on sale at Shout! Factory's site for half off the normal price! :bigsmile:

https://www.shoutfactory.com/sale/shout-select-ticket-to-savings?utm_source=rejoiner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Shout+Select+2022+-+First+Day&utm_content=Shout+Select+-+March+2022&rjnrid=5wwL6n8

• Like 2