The Street Fighter Collection Blu-ray Set from Shout! Factory

Ronin

@KUNG FU BOBThat is absolutely stellar - one of the very best pieces I've seen thus far from the phenomenal talent that is our very own Kung Fu Bob!

Any news on specs, extras, regions, etc?

Whatever the answer, I'll be buying this on day one!

• Like 3

The product description says the language is English, with subtitles in English.  Shout Factory and Amazon still announce that the Super Sentai series released on DVD are in English language, when actually the Super Sentai titles are released in Japanese with English subtitles.  So don't give up hope on Shout Factory yet.     

• Like 3

1 hour ago, whitesnake said:

The product description says the language is English, with subtitles in English.  Shout Factory and Amazon still announce that the Super Sentai series released on DVD are in English language, when actually the Super Sentai titles are released in Japanese with English subtitles.  So don't give up hope on Shout Factory yet.     

Hope so.  It originally said Japanese audio and then changed to English.  I've e-mailed them about this, so hopefully I get a response soon. 

• Like 1

Shout have said on BD.COM that they will have the dubs. Didn't say anything about original audio so it's not confirmed or ruled out as yet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, saltysam said:

Shout have said on BD.COM that they will have the dubs. Didn't say anything about original audio so it's not confirmed or ruled out as yet.

Yeah, I haven't given up hope yet.  Hopefully we get confirmation soon. 

• Like 1

Sorry for the caps but... I WAS LITERALLY WONDERING WHEN THEY WERE GONNA MAKE THIS ON BLU RAY LAST WEEK. I NO LONGER HAVE TO TREASURE THAT 5 FILM COLLECTION WITH KIBA LOL

• Like 1

Any idea who to ask if this will have Japanese audio or not? Really want to know as the suspense is killing me, as I'm really looking forward to these films, but only if the Japanese audio is included. 

• Like 1

• Administrator

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words about the art. As any of you that know me can imagine, this was a huge thrill for me. THE STREET FIGHTER films are among my favorites of all time, so just finding out (over a year ago) that this was finally being released to Blu-ray had me on cloud 9. But being asked to create the art for it... um, words can't really express my elation.

Regarding specs... All I can say is that things are not finalized yet. So we all need to just cross our fingers and hope that the Japanese audio is included on the set.

Though I love the English dubs on the first two films (a different voice actor, who IMHO has a much less appropriate voice, dubs Chiba's character in the third film) I still want the original audio included as well. Here's hoping...

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

I'm excited for these for a very specific reason...I've never seen them. Blasphemy, I know.

Nothing wrong with not seeing them, wish I could re-watch the series with with a no memory of them.

It's also the reason, I've held of watching or buying some titles, once you've viewed them, you cant go back and see them the same way again.

• Like 2

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I'm excited for these for a very specific reason...I've never seen them. Blasphemy, I know.

Hey @Drunken Monk I've moved your name to my "pay-no-mind" list, and will be sending you a box of coal for Christmas. 😄 Hahaha...

Listen man, there's plenty I haven't seen, so I get it. Hopefully you'll now get to see them in the best quality for your first viewing and will (I think) enjoy them tremendously. If I may temper your expectations a bit, these are not films that feature long fight scenes full of complex choreography like you'd see in a Lau Kar-Leung film. The martial arts on display here are more brutal and to the point; strikes to cripple or kill, not to fight. THE STREET FIGHTER film series (and many of Japan's '70s karate cinema entries) is best watched as cool, badass, exploitation crime thrillers with vicious karate action rather than "martial arts films" per say. Though they are quite heavy on action scenes. However, unlike Bruce Lee for instance, when someone is attacked by Chiba's Terry Tsurugi they have more to worry about than just getting knocked out, and may find him tearing something off of them or smashing their bones! Tsurugi fights like a beast, and is one of the coolest anti-heroes ever committed to film. I've watched all three films countless times, but the first two especially are among my all-time favorite films of all time in any genre. Highly recommended!

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Nothing wrong with not seeing them, wish I could re-watch the series with with a no memory of them.

It's also the reason, I've held of watching or buying some titles, once you've viewed them, you cant go back and see them the same way again.

Great point @DragonClaws! I wish I could see these again for the first time. Though... admittedly, these never get old for me, and I love them on each re-watch.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Hey @Drunken Monk I've moved your name to my "pay-no-mind" list, and will be sending you a box of coal for Christmas. 😄 Hahaha...

Listen man, there's plenty I haven't seen, so I get it. Hopefully you'll now get to see them in the best quality for your first viewing and will (I think) enjoy them tremendously. If I may temper your expectations a bit, these are not films that feature long fight scenes full of complex choreography like you'd see in a Lau Kar-Leung film. The martial arts on display here are more brutal and to the point; strikes to cripple or kill, not to fight. THE STREET FIGHTER film series (and many of Japan's '70s karate cinema entries) is best watched as cool, badass, exploitation crime thrillers with vicious karate action rather than "martial arts films" per say. Though they are quite heavy on action scenes. However, unlike Bruce Lee for instance, when someone is attacked by Chiba's Terry Tsurugi they have more to worry about than just getting knocked out, and may find him tearing something off of them or smashing their bones! Tsurugi fights like a beast, and is one of the coolest anti-heroes ever committed to film. I've watched all three films countless times, but the first two especially are among my all-time favorite films of all time in any genre. Highly recommended!

It sounds right up my alley if I'm honest. I'm all for swift, brutal justice. Japanese martial arts cinema is a genre I've only dipped my toes into and, even then, it's mostly modern films like 13 Assassins or Rurouni Kenshin. In fact, I still have all the Lone Wolf and Cub films to watch. I'm waaaaaaay behind.
But that's exciting to me. I have so many films to catch up on! And it might all start with one of the most famous Japanese martial arts films ever made: The Street Fighter. This may very well be the beginning of an era for me.

• Like 6

Some people are hoping for Japanese audio but I have a soft spot for the original English dub,for me the voices suited the characters and that’s not always the case with dubbed movies,it would be good to have both though.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, sym8 said:

Some people are hoping for Japanese audio but I have a soft spot for the original English dub,for me the voices suited the characters and that’s not always the case with dubbed movies,it would be good to have both though.

While some of old English 1970's dub jobs, I have to be hypocrite, and say it would be odd watching these dubbed, for me at least. The reason being, they were some of the few Asian films, I got to see in widescreen, with the original language, for my first viewing. Stil have the R2 Optimum box-set, that I bought while studying at University.

18 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

But that's exciting to me. I have so many films to catch up on! And it might all start with one of the most famous Japanese martial arts films ever made: The Street Fighter. This may very well be the beginning of an era for me.

Old samurai films, and modern horror, was my only experience of Japanese cinema, when I got into the Street Fighter films. It certainly changed my view point a lot, and I could see why BL saw the Japanese filmmakers, as having an edge, on a lot of the Hong Kong flicks of the time. In terms of visual style, hence why he brought in a Japanese cinematographer, to work on his directorial debut.

• Like 4

• Administrator
19 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

It sounds right up my alley if I'm honest. I'm all for swift, brutal justice. Japanese martial arts cinema is a genre I've only dipped my toes into and, even then, it's mostly modern films like 13 Assassins or Rurouni Kenshin. In fact, I still have all the Lone Wolf and Cub films to watch. I'm waaaaaaay behind.

"Brutal justice"... perfect phrase to describe these films. 😁

Well, the way I see it is: it's not a negative. You have lots of amazingly entertaining films to look forward to.

Though I'm a STREET FIGHTER fanatic (you probably can't tell from my never-changing avatar), the Lone Wolf and Cub films are much better made films. Exquisite in fact, in my opinion.

19 hours ago, sym8 said:

I agree 100% @sym8. A lot of members have already heard me say this, so here goes the broken record again... 🤭 In general I'm about 85-90% in favor of original language with English subtitles when I watch films. The exceptions are that I often enjoy the dubs for Shaw Brothers films, a handful of Golden Harvest productions, totally dig the dub for SHOGUN ASSASSIN, and love the dub on the first two STREET FIGHTER films. I have the R2 Optimum STREET FIGHTER DVD set, so I do occasionally watch them in Japanese. However, my "go to" for them is usually my @wigsplitta custom DVD for the original, and one of the many shoddy public domain DVD releases (which used the mid-'90s laser discs as their source) for the second film.

18 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

While some of old English 1970's dub jobs, I have to be hypocrite, and say it would be odd watching these dubbed, for me at least. The reason being, they were some of the few Asian films, I got to see in widescreen, with the original language, for my first viewing. Stil have the R2 Optimum box-set, that I bought while studying at University.

Old samurai films, and modern horror, was my only experience of Japanese cinema, when I got into the Street Fighter films. It certainly changed my view point a lot, and I could see why BL saw the Japanese filmmakers, as having an edge, on a lot of the Hong Kong flicks of the time. In terms of visual style, hence why he brought in a Japanese cinematographer, to work on his directorial debut.

@DragonClaws I think you will be pleasantly surprised by these dubs. The voice actor dubbing Chiba is excellent (in the first two films), and has a very convincing delivery and tone that I think adds to the character. Plus, it has some of my most cherished lines in all of cinema! Infinitely quotable, and oft quoted by yours truly in my daily life. 🤪 If (when?) you pick up this set I recommend you check them out this way.

Yes, quite a difference in cinematography between the two countries back then.

7 hours ago, Karlos said:

@Drunken MonkWatch the Lone Wolf & Cubs as soon as humanly possible - that is an order!! :smile

I second that! 🤓

• Like 4

On 11/14/2018 at 7:36 AM, KUNG FU BOB said:

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words about the art. As any of you that know me can imagine, this was a huge thrill for me. THE STREET FIGHTER films are among my favorites of all time, so just finding out (over a year ago) that this was finally being released to Blu-ray had me on cloud 9. But being asked to create the art for it... um, words can't really express my elation.

Regarding specs... All I can say is that things are not finalized yet. So we all need to just cross our fingers and hope that the Japanese audio is included on the set.

Though I love the English dubs on the first two films (a different voice actor, who IMHO has a much less appropriate voice, dubs Chiba's character in the third film) I still want the original audio included as well. Here's hoping...

My comment got deleted, so maybe I asked the wrong question.  PM sent. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Vegeta84 said:

My comment got deleted, so maybe I asked the wrong question.  PM sent. 

I don't know who deleted your post, but I already answered this question above, and you even quoted it in your PM. 😜

Brother, I'm really just a "hired gun" that does the artwork for some of Shout's releases. I have no insider knowledge except that some good people are working on it, they feel the same way as we do about wanting to include both audio options, and they will do so if they can. That's it. And if I had any more info, I wouldn't be allowed to share it anyway until the company officially does so.

Practice patience. Cross your fingers. Hope for the best. That's my advice to you, and it's exactly what I'm doing myself.

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude
On 11/14/2018 at 10:00 AM, Drunken Monk said:

Witch! He's a witch, I tell you! Burn him! Burn him at the stake!

• Like 3