Posterist: Documentary about Old-School Movie-Poster Artist Yuen Tai-Yung

DragonClaws

Posterist [71 mins]

posterist01
Posterist, a Taiwanese film on a reclusive movie poster artist by director Hui See-wai. Photo: SCFF

Posterist is a film about Yuen Tai-Yung a self-taught Chinese artist who has hand-painted more than 200 iconic movie posters. Yuen is known for his knack for distilling the essence of a movie to one scene.

In a career that spans more than a decade, Yuen has created posters for movies starring mega stars such as Bruce Lee, Chow Yun-fat, Jackie Chan and Stephen Chow during the golden era of Hong Kong cinema.

“When I made movies, I wish he [Yuen] could draw my posters,” says veteran Hong Kong actor Kenny Bee, one of the interviewees of the documentary.

Posterist is a passion project for director Hui See-wai, who documented his interactions with Yuen over a period of 12 months.

There will be a post-screening Q&A with director Hui See-wai. Posterist is shown back-to-back with Wind, a documentary on the extraordinary life of Hong Kong cinematographer Christopher Doyle.

For more information about Yuen Tai-Yung and his trade, and his search for new artists/talent, where are you @KUNG FU BOB?, please click on the link below, thank you.

Link- http://www.atimes.com/article/taiwanese-painter-keeps-traditions-alive/

Image, taken from the above article.

chuan-mei.jpg

• Like 2

6c61070e-ab0c-11e6-a45e-e639c32a4ac5_128

Film review: The Posterist is must-see for fans of Hong Kong cinema’s golden age

Hui See-wai’s tribute to the artist who painted some of the industry’s most iconic movie posters may be a bit one-note, but it’s a worthy nostalgia trip for fans.

Link- https://www.scmp.com/culture/film-tv/article/2046208/film-review-posterist-must-see-fans-hong-kong-cinemas-golden-age

You can order the R3 DVD of this docuemtnary, from YesAsia.Com

Link- https://www.yesasia.com/us/the-posterist-the-art-of-yuen-tai-yung-dvd-hong-kong-version/1063352730-0-0-0-en/info.html

189-600x848.jpg?w=600

• Like 3

• Administrator
On 11/6/2018 at 3:58 PM, DragonClaws said:

For more information about Yuen Tai-Yung and his trade, and his search for new artists/talent, where are you @KUNG FU BOB?, please click on the link below, thank you.

Very interesting! Thanks for the heads up.

On 11/7/2018 at 11:06 AM, DragonClaws said:

I'll definitely be ordering this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Very interesting! Thanks for the heads up.

No problem, What do you think of the contemporary hand drawn posters, in the image, in my first post?.

Though I'm unsure, if that paticular art, is by Yuen Tai-Yung?.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

No problem, What do you think of the contemporary hand drawn posters, in the image, in my first post?.

Though I'm unsure, if that paticular art, is by Yuen Tai-Yung?.

I really dig them. I almost always prefer artwork over photos for movie posters and book covers. It's another chance for an interesting interpretation of the subject, rather than just giving us images that are already basically something that's in the work already.

Geez, this is the most time I've had to spend on the forum in months, and I'm seeing a lot of cool stuff. The upside of being stuck at the repair shop all day waiting for my truck to be fixed (had a minor accident last night). Having a pocket-sized computer still boggles my mind after all these years. But I've spent most of the time reading @teako170's Fu Sheng book, not goofing around on the phone.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Asmo said:

Interesting article, always cool to see the process behind an artist's work.

I'm glad you like it @Asmo, here's an interview with The Posterist's director Hui See-Wai.

• Like 1

You might not know the name, but I bet you've see his work.

33ups1i.jpg

I really need to watch this at some point. 

2v13wqa.jpg

• Like 4

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I love this artist's work, and I did purchase the DVD (sadly no Blu-ray was released) of the documentary about him (pictured above) but have not had a chance to watch it yet.

I'll post here once I do though and share my thoughts on it.

• Like 4

DragonClaws
21 hours ago, JackieChan said:

You might not know the name, but I bet you've see his work.

There's some related content in the following thread.

This also might be of interest to you @JackieChan.

• Like 3

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
17 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

There's some related content in the following thread.

Thanks for the heads up @DragonClaws; I've merged the two threads as you can see.

• Like 4

On 11/7/2018 at 5:55 PM, DragonClaws said:

Just one of many designs by ace artist Yuen Tai-Hing.

Prodigal-Son-1982-akak-Pull-no-pnches.jp

It's weird that Lam Ching-Ying gets fourth billing, and Sammo gets top billing. It takes 57 minutes for Sammo to appear in the movie, and he doesn't even stick around for the finale despite what was implied in his final dialogue scene with Yuen Biao.

I like Yuen Tai-Yung's below image of Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon more than what was used for the HK poster.

• Like 1