Contour (aka The Agent) (2006)

Guest stuntpeople

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest theportlykicker

This film by the Stunt People is finally available on dvd, and let me tell you... it rocks!

The fight scenes are some of the best I've ever seen. Seriously, they're that good. There's one scene in particular on a rooftop with some mad old school flavour.

Highly recommended! Has anyone else seen it yet?

ps. Mods, please don't move this topic. It's a feature length modern martial arts film so it belongs here. :)

Guest D1 Ma

I loved the trailers and some footage from the flick. I agree, those fights looked top-notch.

Definitely gonna watch it!

Just got a HKFlix.com newsletter and their current best selling martial arts film named Contour made by The Stunt People is supposedly more enjoyable then Flash Point. I've seen work by them before and they definitely have the potential to produce some martial arts magic. Has anyone seen this movie yet?

Guest Chinatown Kid

I got that same newsletter and have to say it got me curious to see this flick as well. I haven't even had a chance to watch Flashpoint yet, just got it in the mail yesterday. :P

Guest theportlykicker

I agree with Greenfan. Every MA movie fan should watch it... now!

Seriously, don't be put off by the low budget nature of it- the fight scenes are some of the best ever IMO, and there's LOTS of them.

Guest Aeksis8742

Just ordered this yesterday can't wait to get my hands on it, hopefully its even half as good as you guys are making it out to be.

Guest kinetik

While Contour does have good choreography, and a larger number of fight scenes, I wouldn't go as far as to say its better than Flashpoint. Just because it outsold it on hkflix.com doesn't make it a better movie. The acting is really bad and the ending is dissapointing (IMHO). In terms of fight scenes, I'd rather have quality over quantity; Contour's fighting is great, and by independent filmmaking standards its fantastic, but Flashpoint's fights seem(to me) to be much more intense and have much more substance and purpose.

Guest Beat TG
While Contour does have good choreography, and a larger number of fight scenes, I wouldn't go as far as to say its better than Flashpoint. Just because it outsold it on hkflix.com doesn't make it a better movie. The acting is really bad and the ending is dissapointing (IMHO). In terms of fight scenes, I'd rather have quality over quantity; Contour's fighting is great, and by independent filmmaking standards its fantastic, but Flashpoint's fights seem(to me) to be much more intense and have much more substance and purpose.

haven't seen Contour but I agree that it's pointless to compare an indi movie with an A-movie because they're so different department-wise. but the aforementioned mainly spoke from a quantity point of view (I don't think SP intended to break new ground to compete with Hong Kong or Hollywood, but design fights with more creativity to play with anyway) than anything else so I guess that's fine by all means.

as for SP, they are simply the BEST indi team within MA community I've seen and heard of (for now)! I wish them all the best and luck in the future!:)

I'm definitely not expecting any substance in Contour at all... just some stuntmen doing what they do best... kick some serious @ss. I don't think any of the fights in Contour will rival the intensity and fresh delivery of Donnie vs. Collin.

This is how I'm going to percieve Contour...

An extremely low-budget ($5000) B-13 on some adrenaline crack...

CONTOUR is on my list of flicks to review. I'd say it's definitely worth checking out. The Stunt People have worked extremely hard to push their choreography to a high standard, given budgetary limits.

Kinetik also raises a good point. Fighting for the sake of fighting is rarely compelling, even when done well. It's a common pitfall many action directors at every level fall into.

Guest kinetik

Also, just to clarify, I don't want to seem like I'm bashing the Stunt People, nor am I trying to say that people shouldn't see Contour. I definitely think its worth checking out, and the Stunt people are great at what they do. My point was simply about comparing the two films purely based on sales. Just wanted to clear that up.;)

Guest theportlykicker

That's the thing though- Contour isn't quantity over quality, it's quality in high quantities... if that makes sense. :) I love Flashpoint, but I think Contour is much more satisfying action-wise.

Guest Aeksis8742

Okay just watched this last night. I really enjoyed this movie alot, it took me by surprise thats for sure. There were actually some parts that I thought were really funny. That being said I still enjoyed Flashpoint more, it doesn't have to do so much with the action but the editing and the plot for Contour was a little iffy for me.

Guest Beat TG

SP are undenyable! I'm sure they will come up with better and innovative fights in the near future and improve their acting and storytelling.

Guest Aeksis8742

I really enjoyed the fights with Ray Carbonel, he is amazing with a stick in his hand. The last fight with the ties getting knotted up was great too, very inventive.

Hey guys, this is Eric from SP. Thanks for all the support, and I have to thank HK Flix for selling our film to an audience that may otherwise never see it. While HK Flix may be soon selling out of the DVD (as will our website), Indican is releasing it on DVD in stores in March! So if all goes as planned, you'll be able to pick it up at most major retail chains.

As for the comparison to Flashpoint, I'm totally honored for Contour to be even mentioned in the same sentence as it. And HK Flix did us a massive favor by favoring our fights over Flashpoints. But as a huge fan of Donnie Yen, I feel we can't even hold a candle to his action. Flashpoint has been the biggest source of inspiration to me since Drunken Master 2. You won't be seeing us doing exactly what Donnie Yen did, like all the grappling and judo, but we love the intensity and complexity. And you can see all of it.

With our budget of $5000, I only wanted to do a comedy with good fight scenes. We did that, but because of scheduling problems, lack of crew, and lack of good equipment, we didn't do everything we could.

From the tone of all the reviews I've read, Contour is like a well-cooked $3 steak with no plate or utensils. We promise a much better presentation next time, and it'll be even tastier.

Archived