Revenger (2018)

Drunken Monk

One Armed Boxer
On 11/3/2018 at 3:39 AM, ShaOW!linDude said:

Hey @One Armed Boxer, you're slacking. Thought you would've had this one pegged on your radar.

We had it pegged on Tuesday!:wink -

http://cityonfire.com/bruce-khan-wants-them-all-dead-in-the-trailer-for-revenger/

I tend to only post in the Korean section if it's for a review, as there's never been much appetite on the forums for Korean cinema (which is fair enough - they don't make martial arts movies), however here's hoping this movie changes things!

• Like 3

The fights in this film are FANTASTIC. Easily the best action I’ve seen out of South Korea. So brutal.

The film saga a little here and there but otherwise it’s a simple, fun action. It has one of the best sword fights I’ve seen since Rurouni Kenshin.

Don’t overlook this one.

• Like 5

By many means this should be a bad movie. No story, terrible acting, annoying characters (I'm looking at you kiddo), random out of place comedy, dimwits, topless (oily) guys...

BUT the action is pretty damn good!? Especially the end fight is one of the best I've seen in recent memory. Bruce Khan is bad ass! And not only does his name bear a certain resemblance to the little dragon, you can feel a Bruce Lee vibe throughout the movie.

So to make a long story short, is this a great movie? Probably not. Is the action worth your while? Hell yeah! It's pretty much what you'd expect and therefore comes highly recommended.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 4

ShaOW!linDude

Pretty much have to echo the sentiments of @Drunken Monk & @laagi.

The plot is very...um...streamlined, for lack of a better word, though it does hit some of the typical genre tropes. It is true to its title. And it has a nice dystopian feel to it. (Nice dystopian? Is that an oxymoron?)

This is the kind of film starring Bruce Khan I wanted to see after watching his few action scenes in The Last Eve (2005). The guy is a phenomenal kicker as far as speed and dexterity goes (and granted there were instances of undercranking here, or the digital version of that). In the mini-review for that, I also noted that he gives a Bruce Lee vibe in his fight scenes. Speed, power, impact; it's all there. I would put the fights down as falling somewhere in between Ong Bak and The Raid. The opening fight scene is very impressive. It only ramps up from there. And the sword fight previously mentioned? Dude! There is some nice swordplay. The end fight was well done with fairly even exchanges, though at times very one-sided with Khan dominating.

It was cool seeing TJ Storm pop up in this. What was not cool is that his fight with Bruce Khan was the worst in the movie. That punked me. I was so psyched to see these guys go up against each other. Storm just didn't look up to speed, literally. He was slow. He didn't appear to have put on weight or anything, but I'm sure he was well padded beneath his clothes. And there is such a good build up to the fight, too. Bah!

Okay, so you guys tell me this: Is Bolo Yeung's son in this movie? If not, his doppelganger is. He is one of the lead henchmen, and participates in the boss sword fight. I tried checking the credits at the end, but for some reason I still can't read Korean.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

The end fight was well done with fairly even exchanges, though at times very one-sided with Khan dominating.

You know, I really liked how one-side it was at times. It felt super original. We get to the final fight and the chief bad guy just gets his ass handed to him. That’s pretty rare. It made me quite giddy.

• Like 3

Not gonna add anything new. Poor screenplay, bad acting, weak direction, bad pacing, out of place comedy...but the fights! Oh my God, the Fights!

I'd say this movie features arguably the best onscreen fights since The Raid. Basically, no wires, no gimmicky editing, no shockingly gory FX, just pure MA awesomeness. Just the way I like'em

The guy is beyond good. Easily one of the best kickers out there and one of the greatest screen fighters. I tried to look for some info on him and it looks like its his first leading role! He did some stunts and choreo before, but it looks like its his first real chance to shine. And he's not a young guy anymore. What a pity!

Surprisingly, the end fight was as great as any previous fight in the movie. Haven't seen such a great one-on-one fight in a while

Can't say that fast-forwarding between the fights would be a bad idea, but the fights definitely worth repeated viewing

• Like 4

Some of these fight scenes were amazing! The characters were a little goofy for my taste. But the martial arts is top notch. I wish they had this on Blu Ray to purchase 

• Like 2

kingofkungfu2002
8 hours ago, KCN9NE said:

They have had this on DVD in Malaya for a while now. 

Probably a bootleg.

One Armed Boxer

Entertaining review doc, but just to clarify that's not 'Scorpion King' Won Jin who's part pf the T.J. Storm fight, so you may want to update that part!

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

On 1/26/2023 at 9:09 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

Entertaining review doc, but just to clarify that's not 'Scorpion King' Won Jin who's part pf the T.J. Storm fight, so you may want to update that part!

Corrected! Thanks for the tip and for reading in the first place!

• Like 3

I finally caught up with the movie. Remember not being overly impressed with the trailers at the time when they were dropped. Guess that's one reason why I passed it undoubtedly back then but now I've got nothing better to do except watching alot of movies.

Forget the story and the acting, they barely exist here. And its' sole serviceability, not worth mentioning either. It's incredibly dull and unbearable that you'll have to skip to the action scenes. There are alot of simple action movies with thin plots and alright acting that's much more enjoyable than this, trust me. The movie was very hard to sit through whenever there wasn't any action going on.

The action scenes... I've mixed feelings. Mostly good but some stuff needs to be addressed. First off, let me say that Bruce Khan as a leading action performer is very electrifying to watch. The way he's telegraphing movements and executing techniques is very catchy to the eyes. Intense, economical, and super-sharp. He actually does something that breaks the choreography code that many action performers, past and present, are so used of doing. For example: Textbook action choreography always tend to let the A performer and the B performer execute certain techniques, and in order for them to stand out and be apparent to the viewer they have to let the techniques go their maximum reach and pulling them back the same way in one sequence before doing the next techniques subsequently. All that while putting alot of precision and accuracy into them for that dramatized and exaggerated effect. Khan does the exact opposite: He executes his techniques by minimizing the overall exaggeration in overreaching the execution of the techniques. Instead he relies on simplicity and slickness while maintaining power and speed to pull the choreography off and as a result, his performance is enhanced uniquely. Very few action performers possesses this mastery of meticulous and calculated action performing. I now want more of Khan. His latest role was in Choi Jae-Hoon's The Killer so that's a movie I'll have to track down next. Secondly, while I really enjoyed the overall action choreography it has its' share of conventions and old "rules" that continues to outwear today's martial arts action film-making. Things such as the acting during the action scenes, the preening/posing, the overdone slomo shots. Even some of Khan's techniques looked weak and amateurish, like

Spoiler

the headbutting he did to the last guy he fought. 😂🤦‍♂️

The movie has great action scenes, some of the best MA stuff in recent years, but it's totally forgettable when it comes to everything else. Just seek the MA action scenes on youtube.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1

ShaOW!linDude
18 hours ago, DiP said:

I now want more of Khan. His latest role was in Choi Jae-Hoon's The Killer so that's a movie I'll have to track down next.

It's available on Tubi. I watched it a month or so ago.

• Like 1

Super Ninja
12 hours ago, DiP said:

Cine-Asia released it on bluray. I'll place an order of a copy at Amazon.

Can you share a link?

I thought it only got a Korean DVD release, I'd love to have this one on BR.

• Like 1