Hui Yin-hong

Mike Leeder

From Shaw Brothers to Tenessee Williams

This morning i passed the billboard announcing Shaw Brothers legend Hui Yin-hong's upcoming production of Tenessee Williams THE GLASS MENAGERIE

The Glass Menagerie[1] is a play by Tennessee Williams that premiered in 1944 and catapulted Williams from obscurity to fame. The play has strong autobiographical elements, featuring characters based on its author, his histrionic mother, and his mentally fragile sister Laura. In writing the play, Williams drew on an earlier short story, as well as a screenplay he had written under the title of The Gentleman Caller.

45002220_10155701603091120_4365365048386781184_n.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Mike Leeder said:

The Glass Menagerie[1] is a play by Tennessee Williams that premiered in 1944 and catapulted Williams from obscurity to fame. The play has strong autobiographical elements, featuring characters based on its author, his histrionic mother, and his mentally fragile sister Laura. In writing the play, Williams drew on an earlier short story, as well as a screenplay he had written under the title of The Gentleman Caller.

I havent read that play, since I attended college, I wonder how much this will vary from the original. It would be interesting to this Hong Kong take it, becuase Yui Yin-Hong comes from a different culture and era.

17 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

I havent read that play, since I attended college, I wonder how much this will vary from the original. It would be interesting to this Hong Kong take it, becuase Yui Yin-Hong comes from a different culture and era.

We read some of it back in HS. A Streetcar Named Desire is a book that I really enjoy. I can't believe she's doing a production on this!

4 hours ago, Ah_Tao said:

We read some of it back in HS. A Streetcar Named Desire is a book that I really enjoy. I can't believe she's doing a production on this!

I've read that one, and performed some scenes from it, never read Cat On Hot Tin Roof, but enjoyed the film, as serious as it is.

Archived