47 ronin

Guest xZAANTRONx

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest aliu321

Kenji Mizoguchi is known for long stately dramas. Don't get this if you're looking for swordplay action ... most of the action happens off screen.

Guest xZAANTRONx

well Im am not nessessarily looking for swordplay films, just good samurai flicks.

I dont concider any of akira kurosawas films to have good swordplay but they are still the best haha

Guest aliu321

I've only seen his film Sansho the Bailiff (1954). Long, drawn out melodrama with no action ... Kurosawa's film has action, whether the battle with the bandits in the rain (Seven Samurai) or castle siege (Ran).

All I've heard was this film is slow with no action ... I can recommend this version instead:

www.imdb.com/title/tt0055850/

Guest limeyninja

It was made during World War 2, and during World War 2, most, if not all of Japanese films were propaganda films. The government enforced this. Hence even Kurosawa made propaganda films during this period.

Guest Kortik

In this "Chushingura" Mifune does not have a major role, I dont understand why is he on the fornt cover. He only shows up later in the movie for a bit.

Guest sasakikojiro

He actually shows up in a couple of scenes. He does well with the bit part that he plays--the way he expresses his unspoken understanding when his friend (one of the 47) is finally off for the long and painfully awaited last act.

Guest chiba2000

For those who has never seen a Chushingura movie, beware it's not an action movie, some versions can be very very long and dull. It's about honor and loyalty more than anything, still entertaining for those of us who love the way of the samurai and all that stuff, great story.

By the way, is "Chushingura" a true story or just adapted from a 300 years old kabuki play?

BUT, there is one version with LOADS of great action, "Fall of Ako Castle", and has an unbelievable all-star cast, everybody is in it, Chiba, Nakamura, Mifune, Harada, Tanbara etc. Great fun!

And TOEI has released 3 different versions on DVD last year, and SHOCHIKU released 1 DVD. :) Can be bought from CDJapan, no subtitles!

/Chiba2000 8)

Guest Akahige

I thought both "47 Ronin" and "Chushingura" were pretty damn boring. I understand the history behind the 1941 version, but as a piece of passive entertainment, it fails. If you want to learn about war time Japan, read a book or watch a documentary first. Even then, "47 Ronin" is only mildly informative in regards to the 20th century, and only a bit more than that with the 18th. The color version from the sixties is a much better piece of entertainment with some rather gripping performances, especially the scene with the sick ronin dragging himself through the snow so his comrades don't think he's a wuss. The first requires our attention and participation, while the second draws us in gradually, leading us to a natural intrigue. This version also does a better job of conveying the passage of time, which is integral to the dramatic impact of th plot. Never-the-less though, as far as sword fights go both of these films come up short. If I waited that long, I'd go berserk once the time actually came for vengeance. I need to see "The Fall of Ako Castle".

Guest xZAANTRONx

Akahige, whats this color version from the sixties you speak of??

I own "Fall of Ako Castle", I mainly bought it because Sonny Chiba and Toshiro are in it, but all in all its really really long, and pretty boring. I recently read "the 47 ronin story" (Excellent book, really captures what those men went through) so that got me interested in seeing an accuate cinematic telling of the story, so thats why I started this thread.

which version do you guys think is the most accurate and best acting (which would obviously play a key role in the telling of this particular story). not nessessarily looking for action so much. THANKS

Guest magic8

The Kenji Mizoguchi version (b&w)is considered a classic, made during WWII (1941), while Chushingura (1962) by Inagaki is an update in color. Both are long and more on the dramatic side instead of action, that is, the action is basically when they ronin come outta hiding and take their revenge. In 1994 the theme was remade again as Shijushichinin no shikaku by Kon Ichikawa. The last it the weakest of the three, imo, without any of the depth of the first two.

Oh, yeah, the plot: A Lord is forced to commit ritual suicide, harakiri. The dead Lord's samurai disband and secretly plan to take their revenge when the time is ripe.

Guest Akahige

"Chushingura" is the color film from the sixties that I was talking about, and as far as acting is concerned I find it to be the strongest that I've seen. Unfortunately I haven't read the book so I don't know which is the "most accurate."

Something to think about though: Is "accuracy" really the best way to judge an adaptation? If you and I both read the exact same story we would have differing ideas as to what the central themes were, who the main characters were, what scenes were crucial to the story, which weren't, etc. How many times have you read a book or watched a movie at one point in your life and hated it, then some years later watched or read it again and liked it? I know I have many times. Conclusion: we bring as much to a story as it brings to us. The whole matter gets quite a bit more complicated when you want to analyze an adaptation with as many proliferations as "The 47 Ronin" has. Within two weeks of the incident it was being performed in kabuki theatres throughout Japan. Certainly these kabuki versions influenced the Ukiyo-e versions (Kuniyoshi's woodblocks), the prints influenced the written stories, in turn influencing new kabuki adaptations, back to the newer prints, new stories...

I like "Chushingura," that's why it's the best adaptation in my book. To hell with all that "faithful" and "accurate" noise; and more importantly, to hell with all these college film theorists, and critics telling me that how I "feel" about a film doesn't matter. Hell, it's half of all that does.

Sorry for the rant, but this seems to come up a lot in anime, chamara, and jidai geki. What does everyone else think about this? With the success of "The Lord of the Rings" I know everyone has an opinion on adaptation... Can a book or manga be translated into film or anime and satisfy every reader? If we don't judge them based on "faithfullness" or "accuracy," how can we judge them at all?

Archived