Fu Sheng Book NOW ON SALE!

teako170

On 11/30/2018 at 3:18 PM, ShawAngela said:

I finally received the book yesterday !!

I'll read it as soon as possible !

Nice! I hope you enjoy it ShawAngela. 

From the streets of San Francisco to the Tokyo Dome, Alex's book seems to travel more than me!

Much thanks goes out to my buddy Jesse Smooth who brought along Alex's biography on his recent trip to Japan. Here's a quick clip of the Fu Sheng book at the statue of Kanō Jigorō, Japanese educator and founder of Judo, which is outside the Kodokan Institute in Tokyo.

Want to get in on the fun? Post your videos of the book in your home country. Love to see some videos from Germany, France, UK, Canada, or wherever your travels might take you.

• Like 4

Hi @teako170

I havent recieved an email back from you, have you read it yet?, if you are contacting them in person thats cool, just let me know, then I know I dont have to email anyone back.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 7:28 AM, DragonClaws said:

Hi @teako170

I havent recieved an email back from you, have you read it yet?, if you are contacting them in person thats cool, just let me know, then I know I dont have to email anyone back.

Yes, received and responded back. Copied msg below. Thanks. 

IMG_7438.PNG

• Like 3

4 hours ago, teako170 said:

Thanks for copying it here, as I'd not received the message, in my Inbox.

I'll forward your detials to him now.

• Like 1

♫ Santa Sheng is comin' to town.... ♪ ♬

Need that last minute gift for a friend or loved one? How about a special gift to yourself? Plenty of copies available over on Amazon. Enough to fill that stocking and more!

SantaSheng.jpg

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:20 PM, teako170 said:

♫ Santa Sheng is comin' to town.... ♪ ♬

I received my copy for Christmas, from Santa Sheng or San Te Claus:

DSC_8433.JPG

Edited by Silver and Gold Dragon
  • Like 3

On 12/25/2018 at 9:17 PM, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

I received my copy for Christmas, from Santa Sheng or San Te Claus:

DSC_8433.JPG

Awesome mate! Thanks for the support. Enjoy...

• Like 3

Wife visited Georgia over the holidays and dropped off a copy of Alex's bio for our fallen brother, Linn Haynes. Linn is quoted in the book and was one of the motivators in making this project come to fruition.

12.jpg

13.jpg

• Like 6

Pope Gordon I? Well, not exactly but what does Pope Paul VI's 1970 visit to Hong Kong have to do with Alexander Fu Sheng you might wonder.

Needless to say, I couldn't include all my research into my book on Alex, so here's a fun little factoid. Before Gordon Liu became famous as Monk San Te, he attended the Salesian English school in Shau Kei Wan. His eldest sister sent him to the Roman Catholic school in hopes he would learn English to better his chances as an adult in gaining employment.

While he was boarded there, Gordon became an altar boy and assisted the priest during Mass. Back then, the Mass was held in Latin and Gordon had to learn the language from the priest.

When Pope Paul VI visited the colony on December 4, 1970, the pontiff hosted an open-air Mass at Government Stadium, in Causeway Bay, to some 50,000+ HK Catholics. For this historic visit (the only papal visit to HK ever I believe) Gordon was chosen as one of the altar servants to assist with the service.

The More You Know...

popegordon.jpg

Edited by teako170
  • Like 6

@teako170, thanks for that. Indeed a very interesting fact! Somewhat related, but does that lend credence to Gordon's correct date of birth? I've seen 1949, 1951, and 1955 mentioned variously. I'd always assumed that 1955 was correct, given when he broke into the film industry. Or did you happen to find anything mentioning the correct birthdate during your research on Fu Sheng? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Asmo said:

@teako170, thanks for that. Indeed a very interesting fact! Somewhat related, but does that lend credence to Gordon's correct date of birth? I've seen 1949, 1951, and 1955 mentioned variously. I'd always assumed that 1955 was correct, given when he broke into the film industry. Or did you happen to find anything mentioning the correct birthdate during your research on Fu Sheng? 

I believe '55 is accurate. He would have been 15 for the papal visit. He went to Macau for 2 months in '73 to film Breakout when he was 18. I recall an article where Gordon said Alex (1954) was older than him. I'll see if I can locate. 

Edited by teako170
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, teako170 said:

I believe '55 is accurate. He would have been 15 for the papal visit. He went to Macau for 2 months in '73 to film Breakout when he was 18. I recall an article where Gordon said Alex (1954) was older than him. I'll see if I can locate. 

Much appreciated. That certainly lines up. Aside from 'Breakout from Oppression' and smaller parts in Shaw films, his breakout (no pun intended) film being 'The 36th Chamber of Shaolin' in 1978 lends additional credence to the '55 date as well.

• Like 4

Remembering kung fu star Fu Sing who died in a Hong Kong car crash 36 years ago today

Link- https://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/short-reads/article/3017219/remembering-kung-fu-star-fu-sing-who-died-hong

Hong Kong kung fu actor Fu Sing, in 1974. Photo: SCMP

c17c5f9e-998f-11e9-b82d-cb52a89d5dff_ima

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

On 12/12/2018 at 4:00 AM, teako170 said:

I'm really glad this worked out and that Ben Johnson got you on the Kung Fu Movie Guide pod-cast @teako170, I'm looking forward to listening to the latest Fu Sheng edition of the show.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

I'm really glad this worked and that Ben Johnson got you on the Kung Fu Movie Guide pod-cast @teako170, I'm looking forward to listening to the latest Fu Sheng edition of the show.

Thanks for getting us together. Ben put a nice podcast together and made it sound great. I was trying to cram in 5 hours of info in 60 minutes so I got a little tongue tied in spots (lol) but it was a fun experience. Here's the link everyone...

http://kungfumovieguide.com/kfmg-podcast-s04-episode-45-terrence-j-brady/

• Like 5

On 10/21/2019 at 3:43 PM, DragonClaws said:

I'm really glad this worked out and that Ben Johnson got you on the Kung Fu Movie Guide pod-cast @teako170, I'm looking forward to listening to the latest Fu Sheng edition of the show.

On 10/21/2019 at 10:21 PM, teako170 said:

Thanks for getting us together. Ben put a nice podcast together and made it sound great. I was trying to cram in 5 hours of info in 60 minutes so I got a little tongue tied in spots (lol) but it was a fun experience. Here's the link everyone...

http://kungfumovieguide.com/kfmg-podcast-s04-episode-45-terrence-j-brady/

Thanks for the heads up and the link. Great podcast.

Also to anyone interested in Fu Sheng, or thinking about getting the book, I would recommend it! It's a great addition to your martial arts library. Going to be re-reading it over the Thanksgiving holiday this year. Thanks Teako.

• Like 3

Graeme Of Death

Not the biggest fan of Fu Sheng but I'd be interested in reading this. Is it still available?

anyone recommend any other books on martial arts cinema? I've got the 2 Jackie ones which are both decent enough reads even if he does still peddle the does all his own stunts stuff.

• Like 1