Wong Yuen-San: Buddhist Celebrities

DragonClaws

Article from the following site- Link- http://buddhistcelebrities.blogspot.com/2008/07/wong-yuen-san.html

Wong Yuen San was born to a poor family in China in 1948. The family later emigrated to Hong Kong when he was still a little boy. He started learning Chinese martial arts at age 13. One day, seeing Wong Yuen San's skill in martial arts, his younger brother registered his name for a screen test with a movie producer. He passed the test and filmed his first movie in 1973. He made almost 2 dozens movie from 1973 to the early 1980s. In the 1980s, when the Hong Kong movie industry was not doing well, he switched to filming drama with local television station. In 1981, he filmed a drama, Legendary Fok (Huo Yuanjia) with ATV and that drama became a huge hit in Hong Kong. His name became more well known in 1985 after the drama was aired in China. He continued to make drama with ATV until 1989 and at the same time started to learn about Buddhism. In 1989, feeling disillusioned with the mortal world, he decided to leave his wife and children to become a monk. He entered a monastery in Lantou Island, Hong Kong and led a peaceful monastic life since. During this period, many friends and film directors tried to persuade him to return to movie making but they were unsuccessful. In 2005, Wong finally discarded his robe and left monkhood and is now leading a secluded life in the US.

Despite Wong only appearing in 26 movies, which by Asian standards, is a little on the light side. He looked to be a keen director at one point, directing four films in the 70's, the little known Hong Kong flick Affection Against Satan starring himself and actress Tanny Tien-Ti, made in 1974. It would be four year's until he directed his last three movies, all made in 1979. Lu Hsiao Fury, Crazy Partner, One Way Out, though according to his HKMDB page, its only estimated that LHF, was made in 79.

HKMDB page, Link- http://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?id=3964&display_set=eng

98d6605e828eb2c10439e8060eb5056c.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws

Wong Yuen San started playing in dramas in at least 1977 for TVB : Unknown hero (or Anonymous heroes) (that I recently reviewed in this forum), CID 1977 and other ones that I don't have in mind at this moment.

I also read on another forum that it has been said that he left his wife and children because  of Angie Chiu and that he became a monk because she left him for another actor who became her husband, Melvyn Wong, if I'm not mistaken.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Wong Yuen San started playing in dramas in at least 1977 for TVB : Unknown hero (or Anonymous heroes) (that I recently reviewed in this forum), CID 1977 and other ones that I don't have in mind at this moment. 

I also read on another forum that it has been said that he left his wife and children because  of Angie Chiu and that he became a monk because she left him for another actor who became her husband, Melvyn Wong, if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks for the additional information/corrections @ShawAngela, he's yet anohter Asian actor who later moved to the states for his retirement.

An additional information that I forgot to mention in my previous post.

I bought a LP some months ago with Wong Yuen San on the front cover, with good theme songs from series and I asked the seller if it was Wong Yuen San himself who was singing and he told me that it was him, so, here is another complete artist able to play in action movies, in series, to sing and to direct movies...

• Like 1

On 10/23/2018 at 2:53 PM, ShawAngela said:

I bought a LP some months ago with Wong Yuen San on the front cover, with good theme songs from series and I asked the seller if it was Wong Yuen San himself who was singing and he told me that it was him, so, here is another complete artist able to play in action movies, in series, to sing and to direct movies...

Thanks for that @ShawAngela, the more multi-talent a H.LK star was in the 70's, the more work they got. If film dried up, they could try singing and vice-versa, some had other day jobs too, from interviews I've read.

Here's a shot of Wong Yuen-San in his robes, far right.

1o8600061n8ns7oq041n.jpg

The above images are from this article, about the stars interest in Buddhism.

Link- https://monikapandiangan.wordpress.com/2017/11/08/seeking-the-meaning-of-life/

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Here's a shot of Wong Yuen-San in his robes, far right.

1o8600061n8ns7oq041n.jpg

The above images are from this article, about the stars interest in Buddhism.

Link- https://monikapandiangan.wordpress.com/2017/11/08/seeking-the-meaning-of-life/

Thank you very much for the link.

The three pictures are Wong Yuen San's, the middle one is my favourite of the three, though I think that it's from one of his movies/series and not when he was a Buddhist monk...

• Like 1