Identifying Old-School Kung Fu Movie Pictures

DragonClaws

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

The man with the biggest image on the theatrical poster, behind the Monk in the blue robe. He looks simlar to the guy on the right, in the first image posted by @Drunken Monk

Well...That precise man is none other than Norman Tsui...

But @sym8 may be right about Eddie Ko Hung. Sometimes, the costumes and haircut may change a guy and I saw him in some movies when he was younger and I almost didn't recognized him, so, it could be him in the black and white picture.

If only there was a translation of the Chinese text, it could help...

If it's the same movie as the one I'm talking about, the girl is Idy Chan and I didn't find any other movie looking to show a story from the same wuxia era with both Norman and her in it...

• Like 4

I just took a look at hkcinemagic, and the only Demi gods and semi devils they talk about is the TVB series, with the cast shown on the poster, and according to hkmdb, the movie was made almost at the same time as the series.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Does this help anyone?

1551366621-464743623_l.jpg

After much searching I think this a Taiwanese tv series from 1984 called Dragon Sword.

Edited by sym8
  • Like 4

DragonClaws

A behind the scenes picture, taken from which movie?.

BL982.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Shaolin Dragon said:

Does anyone know what movie this Turkish poster belongs to?

BCE974B4-59F1-4854-8848-9C9B85FD4D59.jpeg

The girl in red looks like Shu Pei Pei, the girl in blue makes me think of Chang Ching Ching. But none of them have this Chinese title in their filmographies.

The name Lin Yen Pin could be the name Lin Yan Bing, but there isn't any information about this actor on hkmdb.

If someone could "extract" the Chinese title from the poster, it would be easier to search.

Nice poster, by the way.

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang
2 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

The girl in red looks like Shu Pei Pei, the girl in blue makes me think of Chang Ching Ching. But none of them have this Chinese title in their filmographies.

The name Lin Yen Pin could be the name Lin Yan Bing, but there isn't any information about this actor on hkmdb.

If someone could "extract" the Chinese title from the poster, it would be easier to search.

Nice poster, by the way.

I cannot extract/ translate the title, just some thoughts:

1st - could this be fa (as in toufa, hair)? then it would be 4 characters all in all

2nd - just a vertical stroke but totally confuses me, lol. I only know that as basic stroke called shu

3rd  - jun is an old weight unit, may have other meanings

4th - qian - thousand

Hopefully someone can really translate the title

Edited by Chu Liu Hsiang
  • Like 3

Shaolin Dragon
12 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

I cannot extract/ translate the title, just some thoughts:

1st - could this be fa (as in toufa, hair)? then it would be 4 characters all in all

2nd - just a vertical stroke but totally confuses me, lol. I only know that as basic stroke called shu

3rd  - jun is an old weight unit, may have other meanings

4th - qian - thousand

Hopefully someone can really translate the title

I got some help with the Chinese characters and they should be read like this 千鈞一髮This is a Chinese idiom (a thousand pounds hangs by a thread) meaning: imminent peril; a matter of life or death.

So the poster designer probably made the title vertical without knowing that Chinese titles at this time was written from right to left.

My guess is that the designer also somehow mixed up the names of the actors. Matien Ye could maybe be Tien Yeh 田野. I do think the guy with the sword looks a bit like him.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 2

Chu Liu Hsiang
25 minutes ago, Shaolin Dragon said:

I got some help with the Chinese characters and they should be read like this 千鈞一髮This is a Chinese idiom (a thousand pounds hangs by a thread) meaning: imminent peril; a matter of life or death.

Very interesting! Ach I miss my language classes, learning all alone is neither as much fun nor as efficient. 

Now that you mention it .. he really does look a lot like Tien Yeh. 

Edited by Chu Liu Hsiang
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

Very interesting! Ach I miss my language classes, learning all alone is neither as much fun nor as efficient. 

Now that you mention it .. he really does look a lot like Tien Yeh. 

I also thought of Tien Yeh and looked at all of his martial arts movies titles to see if I recognized this title, but I didn't unless I'm mistaken.

I also asked google for the translation of the Turkish title and it said "I come from hell"...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Shaolin Dragon said:

So if it is Tien Yeh, any guess what movie it might be?

One that Isn't mentioned on hkmdb...

I thought that it could have been the actor Ma Tien Yan, but here again, the Chinese titles of his movies don' t match the one on the poster...

I also searched the titles with "thousand" in them (not many movies mentioned on hkmdb, I was surprised), and no match  either...

• Like 4

Shaolin Dragon

I suspect that the title 千鈞一髮might be an alternative title or maybe a tagline. The designer probably had access to the original promotional material and just picked parts of it (without any knowledge in Chinese) to make this Turkish poster for the movie. 

Chinese language films often have different titles in different Chinese speaking regions so I suspect that this movie is hiding somewhere in HKMDB under a totally different title that maybe could have some similarities with the meaning of the Turkish title.

But in the end maybe the painted figures might be the most reliable parts used for identification.

@ShawAngela this Ma Tien Yan actor sounds interesting, did he do any wuxia movies with promotional material similar to this poster?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shaolin Dragon said:

I suspect that the title 千鈞一髮might be an alternative title or maybe a tagline. The designer probably had access to the original promotional material and just picked parts of it (without any knowledge in Chinese) to make this Turkish poster for the movie. 

Chinese language films often have different titles in different Chinese speaking regions so I suspect that this movie is hiding somewhere in HKMDB under a totally different title that maybe could have some similarities with the meaning of the Turkish title.

But in the end maybe the painted figures might be the most reliable parts used for identification.

@ShawAngela this Ma Tien Yan actor sounds interesting, did he do any wuxia movies with promotional material similar to this poster?

Here is his page. He seems to have played in only a few movies, and the wuxias aren't very numerous, if any...

http://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?id=18113&display_set=eng

The woman in red looks like Li Hsuan toot, but none of her movies' titles match the one of the poster...

• Like 3

Shaolin Dragon

Anyone know what this is?

Chinese title 危險人物

When I search using the english title in HKMDB I don't get any results.

The movie is directed by someone named 林白. The three main actors - 岳陽 易虹 易原.

the dangerous guy poster.jpg

Edited by Shaolin Dragon
  • Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane
5 hours ago, Shaolin Dragon said:

Anyone know what this is?

Chinese title 危險人物

When I search using the english title in HKMDB I don't get any results.

The movie is directed by someone named 林白. The three main actors - 岳陽 易虹 易原.

the dangerous guy poster.jpg

Looks like O Chun Hung on that poster... might wanna check his filmography. Not sure what they call him these days on HKMDB though.

• Like 3

The Chinese name of the director translate as Lin Bai, if I'm not mistaken. Lin Bai doesn't show anything on hkmdb, and Lin Pai only shows two movies.

The first actor's name is Yueh Yang, and the two other actors have Ma as last name.

The bald guy holding the girl looks familiar to me...

• Like 3

I searched Yueh Yang's filmography in Chinese on hkmdb, and the only title with the Word "Man" (third in your title) at the third place on the title is Men of the hour , 1977, but there isn't any Ma actor in it, and From the pictures, it seems that your movie doesn't take place on the same Era as the one of Men of the hour.

It would also be interesting to know if the Chinese names You show are in traditional characters or in simplified characters.

Did you search with the Chinese names on Google or dianying site, or baike site ?

MydramaList site lists more movies for Yueh Yang, but still not this one...

• Like 3