Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey (2020) - Margot Robbie, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Ewan McGregor, Jurnee Smollett-Bell

AlbertV

Some official casting news has been confirmed for the upcoming Birds of Prey movie for the Worlds of DC universe. Alongside Margot Robbie's return as Harley Quinn, Mary Elizabeth Winstead has been cast as Huntress and Jurnee Smollett-Bell will take on the role of Black Canary. The film is being directed by Cathy Yan and has set a release date of February 7, 2020.

https://deadline.com/2018/09/birds-of-prey-cast-mary-elizabeth-winstead-wins-role-of-huntress-jurnee-smollett-bell-is-black-canary-1202471751/

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the 87 Eleven crew handling the stunts, it is to no surprise that director Cathy Yan is enlisting the help of Chad Stahelski (John Wick franchise) for the action sequences. Stahelski will work with the 2nd unit crew to oversee some additional action scenes for Birds Of Prey.

Source- http://www.maactioncinema.com/archives/8906

• Administrator

I've always been more of a Marvel guy than a DC guy (though I really dig Batman), and have found the DC films to be a very mixed bag. I thought SUICIDE SQUAD was okay. Entertaining enough, but nothing memorable. I also find it strange that they somehow managed to make an actress as beautiful as Margot Robbie look so unappealing in what's supposed to be a sexy (and crazy) role. But I love seeing ladies kick ass, so I'm hoping this will be good. Based on @ShaOW!linDude's comment I guess I'm lucky that I'm not more familiar with the characters, as this will make it easier for me to digest than for those well-read on them.

Secret Executioner
On 4/16/2019 at 3:26 PM, AlbertV said:

Filming wrapped yesterday

Based on the title that shoves Harley down your throat and what we've seen so far in terms of trailers, the poster isn't misleading. It's all about Harley being scantily clad.

Wait, it's supposed to be about a female superhero group fighting Black Mask ? Sorry, I missed that. Kinda like how I missed Suicide Squad having other characters than Will Smith and a slutty clown chick (even though articles and posters alluded to other bad guys in the team). DC, stop making live-action movies - for the sake of the good films you used to have - and stick to your DTV animated films and TV shows. That's where you shine nowadays.

NoKUNGFUforYU

Woman falls in love with maniac, is subjected to torture and abuse, then gains super fighting skills with a stripper body. Sounds great! Where do I sign up?

Pretty cringe worthy, it's stuff like this that gives wackos ideas.

Secret Executioner

@NoKUNGFUforYU  Agreed, her story went from a tragic abusive relationship (she goes through tons of shit because she's blinded by her love for him - I'm not a fan of the character, but I must say the original incarnation is a really tragic character when you look at her background) into some kind of Twilight story where a woman is in love with a weirdo and while it should be wrong as hell, the relationship is portrayed as something you must root for in spite of all the terrible stuff going on and the woman is portrayed as a role model in spite of her terrible decisions... 

I totally agree and some of the action looks good too. Whoever doubled Jurnee Smollett-Bell or  whoever trained for her that role on that level, makes her look good with those kicks. I'm digging the Black Mask shot as well. The hyena laugh made me crack up LOL

Secret Executioner

Still not sold, but the characterization seems to have improved - the pet hyena is a nice touch IMO. And kudos for having the obscure (no pun intended) villain Black Mask. That's one very underused villain, I only recall seeing him in the 2000s cartoon The Batman.

The first reactions to the movie are trickling in and I'm surprised to see how many people are applauding the action. Most people are saying it's a highlight.

Caught this last night and it's huge fun.

Don't expect John Wick levels of action but what's there is very well done and clearly shot.

I loved this. Enjoyable characters, fantastic fight scene... What more do you want?

it may not be the best DC movie but it’s up there with the best. I highly recommend supporting this one as it really is comic books done right.

Secret Executioner
On 2/11/2020 at 5:21 PM, AlbertV said:

Even though the film is already released, Warner Bros. announced that the title of the film has undergone another change. It is now the shortened Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey

https://www.darkhorizons.com/birds-of-prey-scores-a-new-title/

Seeing the trailers focused on her and she's front and center on the poster, they might as well call it Harley Quinn: the movie. :bs_coveredlaugh:

4 hours ago, Secret Executioner said:

Seeing the trailers focused on her and she's front and center on the poster, they might as well call it Harley Quinn: the movie. :bs_coveredlaugh:

That's exactly what it is. While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, the actual Birds of Pretty very much play second fiddle to Harley Quinn. Mary Elizabeth Winstead gets almost nothing to work with.

Archived