Magnum P.I. 2.0

AlbertV

Jay Hernandez plays the new Thomas Magnum, but in a recent interview, he said he has absolutely zero intention of emulating Tom Selleck's iconic take on the character and made it his own, having Magnum returning from Afghanistan to use his ex-Navy SEAL skills be a P.I. in Hawaii. The big difference besides that is that Higgins is now a female, played by Perdita Weeks as Juliette Higgins, with Zachary Knighton as Rick and Stephen Hill as T.C. I haven't seen the premiere this week but it's had mostly negative reviews.

• Like 2

I absolutely love the original. I'm unsure how to feel about this, to be honest. I wouldn't want a total emulation of the original (despite the changes) but I wouldn't want something that doesn't have the same feeling, if you know what I mean. I'm not sure if/when it'll air here.

• Like 2

I loved the original series too. This new version looks interesting enough, but I would not view it with any expectation of reliving an era that has long since been lost to posterity. Certainly, I can sense some of the lighthearted flavour of the original but I think Jay Hernandez is wise to put his own interpretation to the character and take the series in a direction more appropriate for a new generation, living in a world vastly different from 40 years ago.

For myself, recently I have noticed a yearning to reconnect with both music and television series from my childhood and teenage years. Probably because I am over 50 now, and I suddenly wonder where all the years have gone. And also because of the passing of musicians and actors of that era who have had such a profound effect on my life. A modernised remake is not going to connect me to my past. Thunderbirds is a good example - I felt absolutely estranged from the characters and the sets. The whole "feel" of the series was altered, and not how I remembered. I am a product of my generation, I suppose, and that is where I am happy to stay.

The best I can do for shows such as Magnum PI is to revisit the original series on dvd. Only then can I be transported back to a simpler time; a time when I didn't have the worries and responsibilities of adulthood. But the effect will be limited. Seeing again beloved characters from my past may trigger long forgotten memories of that period in my life, but the reality is that those times are forever gone and I am a totally different person now. Looking back though, I am very grateful for the memories, for the incredible variety of tv shows that helped to shape my formative years. And it is a pleasure to rediscover some of those gems from my past!

• Like 5

I just watched the clip.

Well, of course, it's not the same as the old series, but...the girl fights !!! And just for this, it would be interesting to watch it. Higgins didn't do much in the series in terms of fighting and replacing him with a fighting woman is surely and definitely something to watch for me !!

• Like 2

Phantom Dreamer

Tim Kang, "Bruce Lee's son" is in the cast of this Magnum reboot.

https://www.wireservice.ca/index.php?module=News&func=display&sid=6547

Although it hasn't been promoted, actor Tim Kang, who plays Agent Kimball Cho, is one of the final sons born to Bruce Lee before the actor died mysteriously in 1973. Kang's mother was actress Mi Teng. As is typical of secret Hollywood birth's, their names hold a clue - the letters in Tim appear backwards in Mi Teng.

• Like 1

Cognoscente

I like the original series more. It was much more funnier but with powerful moments of drama. Doing a reboot would only have been worthwhile if they had Magnum be of Hawaiian descent, which would have allowed for more range in the storytelling - seeing things from the other side.

• Like 2