Fan Bingbing missing!

laagi

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.jaynestars.com/news/fan-bingbing-tax-evasion-update-government-gives-official-response/

The latest is that Fan was involved with six civil suits, all of which she had won. The government has officially stated they are investigating the accounting books of Fan and her company. It is believed she is being held in a hotel while the investigations continue, but nothing has been made official.

"Chinese mega star Fan Bingbing has been fined around 883 million yuan ($129m...) for tax evasion and other offences, authorities said Wednesday [October 3, 2018].  The star, who disappeared in July, posted a long apology on social media.  Ms. Fan, who is one of China's highest paid actors, will escape criminal charges if the fines are paid on time, said state news agency Xinhua... Some film stars were alleged to have used so-called 'yin-yang contracts' - a practice where one contract sets out an actor's real earnings, and another details a lower figure, with the latter submitted to the tax authorities... Authorities have now ordered Ms. Fan and the companies she controls to pay the huge sum in taxes, fines and penalties.... On Wednesday, the star posted an open apology to her tens of millions of fans on her Weibo account saying: 'I've been suffering unprecedented pain recently... I'm so ashamed of what I've done.  Here, I sincerely apologise to everyone... I completely accept all the penalty decisions made according to law, after the investigation done by tax authorities.  I will follow the order, try my best to overcome difficulties, raise fund, pay taxes and fines.'  She also praised the ruling Chinese Communist Party in her statement, saying 'Without the good policies of the party and the state, and without the love of the people, there would be no Fan Bingbing.' "  The article is on BBC News - https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45728459   

"Chinese superstar Fan Bingbing, who has been at the center of a storm over unpaid taxes, is said to be at liberty after a period of government detention.  Hong Kong’s South China Morning Post, citing unnamed sources, reported Thursday [October 4] that Fan has returned to Beijing after an unspecified period of “residential detention.” The paper said that Fan had been held at a “holiday resort” near Wuxi, in Jiangsu province, that has been previously used to interrogate errant Communist Party officials."  From https://variety.com/2018/film/asia/fan-bingbing-free-detention-report-1202968428/ 

"A senior film executive in Beijing told THR on Thursday that they had been in contact with Fan since her statement. 'She has regained her liberty and is in relatively good spirits,' the exec said, asking not to be named because of the case's ongoing sensitivity in China... The practice of 'residential surveillance at a designated location' was introduced into Chinese criminal law in 2012. The system allows the Chinese police to detain anyone suspected of endangering state security, plotting terrorism or significant corruption at an undisclosed location for up to six months without access to legal counsel or family contact. The practice has been regularly condemned by international rights groups since its introduction... Fan's return to the public sphere followed a script many in the Chinese film industry had privately anticipated: an enormous, signal-sending fine, followed by a carefully orchestrated apology — but none of the bad optics of China's most glamorous movie star being hauled off to jail, which may have appeared too draconian even for the People's Republic of China."  From https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/fan-bingbing-back-beijing-detention-1149244

13 hours ago, DiP said:

I wonder who's next in line... The Chinese authorities will probably look into the most well-paid ones. 

Agreed. And one has honestly to wonder what happens if an average joe gets into their crosshair.

Now the current President of Interpol have gone missing after landing in China.

Meng Hongwei, 64, who is also a vice-minister at China's Ministry of Public Security was "taken away" for questioning by discipline authorities "as soon as he landed in China" last week....

Interpol President Missing

SCMP link

Archived