The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

On 9/11/2022 at 1:38 PM, BLfan said:

That is a disappointing review on the picture quality, seems like they did not tweak anything from the original release. 

I would take that review with a grain of salt.

Although Eureka did not have the budget to color correct the first two films (it would have required all new restorations which is VERY expensive) David Mackenzie did alot to bring out the very best in the 4K masters. Audio & subtitles was upgraded on all the films and color correction was done for the export cut of Police Story 1 now in HD and we included the rare Cantonese Audio with the Kevin Bassinson score with subs as as a bonus.

Personally I think Police Story 1 looks quite good! :)

The Extended Cut of Police Story 2 not so much but...

We color corrected and recreated the original HK Cut of Police Story 2 now in HD, did the Export Version as well. :)

We updated & added alot of cool extras for both films.

Add a restored color corrected version of Police Story 3 and I think you have pretty good value for your money.

Is the set perfect no, it was never going to be, but alot of hard work went into adding things specifically for the fans to make it worth thier while.

All in all this set is definitely an upgrade on all previous releases and I hope you guys enjoy all the hard work put into it. :) 

Edited by Irongod2112
  • Like 20

4 hours ago, Irongod2112 said:

Definitely, I don't understand all the technical waffle but as a long time fan who watched these films back on vhs all I can say is these films have never looked as good. I'm loving all these Eureka/88 Films releases, more please!!

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Irongod2112 said:

Although Eureka did not have the budget to color correct the first two films (it would have required all new restorations which is VERY expensive) David Mackenzie did alot to bring out the very best in the 4K masters. Audio & subtitles was upgraded on all the films and color correction was done for the export cut of Police Story 1 now in HD and we included the rare Cantonese Audio with the Kevin Bassinson score with subs as as a bonus.

Personally I think Police Story 1 looks quite good! :)

The Extended Cut of Police Story 2 not so much but...

We color corrected and recreated the original HK Cut of Police Story 2 now in HD, did the Export Version as well. :)

Add a restored color corrected version of Police Story 3 and I think you have pretty good value for your money.

Is the set perfect no, it was never going to be, but alot of hard work went into adding things specifically for the fans to make it worth thier while.

All in all this set is definitely an upgrade on all previous releases and I hope you guys enjoy all the hard work put into it. :) 

So, I guess that it's different than the previous two discs set of Police Story 1 and 2, right ? I don't have any 4K player, so, I'll keep this release and I only ordered the blu of Police Story 3...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Irongod2112 said:

That’s greatness to me. The export of Police Story 2 is the best version in my opinion and flows better . 

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

@Irongod2112 - Which Police Story 3 audio option is the one with the unaltered sound effects?  I'd assume it's what the Blu-Ray menu labels as "Cantonese Mono", but the packaging's phrasing seems to suggest otherwise? 

Phenomenal job on the remaster, in any case!  Granted, I'm upgrading from VCD(!) but I couldn't imagine Supercop ever looking better than this.  I was never previously able to see that

Spoiler

the Sega game that the villain was so engrossed in was Tetris of all things!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, starschwar said:

@Irongod2112 - Which Police Story 3 audio option is the one with the unaltered sound effects?  I'd assume it's what the Blu-Ray menu labels as "Cantonese Mono", but the packaging's phrasing seems to suggest otherwise? 

Reveal hidden contents

All of the Cantonese tracks on Police Story 3 feature original sound effects even the new Dolby Atmos track! :)

The Cantonese mono track is how it played in theaters back in the day.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

So, I guess that it's different than the previous two discs set of Police Story 1 and 2, right ? I don't have any 4K player, so, I'll keep this release and I only ordered the blu of Police Story 3...

Alot has been upgraded from the first Eureka set of Police Story 1&2.

All Cantonese tracks have been upgraded and subtitles too.

The big highlight on the UHD set for me is the original HK CUT of Police Story 2 in HD for the first time with all new color correction. :)

But that first set is definitely worth keeping for sure.

It's the only offical release that features the Japanese Extended Cut of Police Story 1 with English subtitles and you won't be seeing that cut on any future releases for Fortune Star will not allow it.

In fact I pushed Eureka to include that cut on the first set and it got them into a bit of trouble! Lol

I had planned to include a cleaned up version on the UHD set but again it was shot down because of Fortune Star not allowing it.

So if you do not have a 4K player buying the standard bluray of Eureka's Police Story 3 is a good option. :)

However I do suggest you invest into buying a 4K player just to future proof yourself so you don't miss out on any exclusive UHD features or releases.

• Like 11

17 hours ago, HeavenSword said:

That’s greatness to me. The export of Police Story 2 is the best version in my opinion and flows better . 

I had a few requests to redo the UK export cut of Police Story 2 in HD and include a Cantonese track with subtitles so I snuck that on last minute. I hope you enjoy!! :)

• Like 8
  • Buddha Bless You 3

Master with OK Fingers
32 minutes ago, Irongod2112 said:

I had a few requests to redo the UK export cut of Police Story 2 in HD and include a Cantonese track with subtitles so I snuck that on last minute. I hope you enjoy!! :)

Woohoo! a HD version of the Export cut of PA2 was sorely missed from the 1st Eureka release. Sooo looking forward to this!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Irongod2112 said:

Alot has been upgraded from the first Eureka set of Police Story 1&2.

All Cantonese tracks have been upgraded and subtitles too.

The big highlight on the UHD set for me is the original HK CUT of Police Story 2 in HD for the first time with all new color correction. :)

But that first set is definitely worth keeping for sure.

It's the only offical release that features the Japanese Extended Cut of Police Story 1 with English subtitles and you won't be seeing that cut on any future releases for Fortune Star will not allow it.

In fact I pushed Eureka to include that cut on the first set and it got them into a bit of trouble! Lol

I had planned to include a cleaned up version on the UHD set but again it was shot down because of Fortune Star not allowing it.

So if you do not have a 4K player buying the standard bluray of Eureka's Police Story 3 is a good option. :)

However I do suggest you invest into buying a 4K player just to future proof yourself so you don't miss out on any exclusive UHD features or releases.

This set is a dream come true for me who missed out on the original limited release from Eureka and didnt want to spend £100 on it. Im sure the PQ on 1 & 2 will still be better than the BD release despite not being optimal :D And youre right, the best thing to come out of this is the HK theatrical version of PS2 in HD, corrected colours and the english dub. 

Do you know if the booklet contents in this 4K release are the same as the BD releases of the 3 movies? 

Its a shame they werent allowed to include the japanese cut of PS1, but thats what still makes the original release relevant along with an unofficial release who also removed the japanese subtitles. Im sure you know who im talking about, is it true that this guy contributed to this 4K Trilogy release? In one of his subscriber emails he mentioned that he was. 

Anyway, thank you so much for the effort you put in to these releases. Its so nice to have such commited fans working on these projects so that we get the best results possible. Just please make sure Eureka make the paperwork right the next time :D Excluding the reverse artwork, posters and lobby cards would be the icing on the cake with the Police Stories!

Edited by JCLegend86
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Irongod2112 said:

All of the Cantonese tracks on Police Story 3 feature original sound effects even the new Dolby Atmos track! :)

The Cantonese mono track is how it played in theaters back in the day.

Oh, very cool!  Thanks for the info, and well done.

• Like 3

On 9/16/2022 at 1:05 AM, starschwar said:

Phenomenal job on the remaster, in any case!  Granted, I'm upgrading from VCD(!) but I couldn't imagine Supercop ever looking better than this.  I was never previously able to see that

Hide contents

I'm assuming it was a pirated version of Tetris, since it was never officially released for the Mega Drive, although there was believed have been around 10 copies made before the rights/licensing issues were realized.

Or hey maybe the villain is so rich he has $1 million spare for the signed copy:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/130545774269?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item1e65226ebd&nma=true&si=xcEaiCe%2B1XcIE2saNpQ49IpGXtE%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

1419642847_Screenshot2022-09-17at09-50-38TETRISsegamegadrivegenesismegadrivemdsignedeBay.png.3cbab7f45374ebc67c806be302a7c169.png

On 9/15/2022 at 7:21 PM, HeavenSword said:

The only flaw I can think of with the export version is that it removes Chan planting the bug:

1540400104_bugchan.png.1f8897c5868d542b2400628826635068.png

Although I get it from an editing point of view, to keep it you probably have to keep the farting humour.

On 9/16/2022 at 9:53 AM, HeavenSword said:

Police Story Trilogy  dispatched 😁 can’t wait ! 

I got an email on Thursday confirming my order of Police Story III - Super Cop  had been despatched.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Omni Dragon said:

The only flaw I can think of with the export version is that it removes Chan planting the bug:

1540400104_bugchan.png.1f8897c5868d542b2400628826635068.png

Although I get it from an editing point of view, to keep it you probably have to keep the farting humour.

Nothing wrong with that. I really think the toilet humour hits home in this movie, its almost a subplot of Uncle Bill having digestion issues throughout the whole movie lol 

5 hours ago, Graysman said:

Eureka Police story 4k UHD trilogy in the house guys looks epic gonna check these beauties out later today 

AE027173-CE0F-48D3-9934-C12FE3643D1E.jpeg

Release of the year! 

2 hours ago, Omni Dragon said:

I've received my copy of the Police Story III - Super Cop (BD):

DSC_4054.thumb.JPG.9c5ccb2bd5cae87049a9f7c687909be4.JPG

Looks really nice! But had to go with the UHD set this time. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JCLegend86 said:

Nothing wrong with that. I really think the toilet humour hits home in this movie, its almost a subplot of Uncle Bill having digestion issues throughout the whole movie lol 

Just to be clear, I wasn't defending the toilet humour. I just felt that showing Chan planting the bug/listening device adds a bit more context.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Just watched PS1.I thought it looked great,excellent audio and subs.

Have you seen the Criterion PS1? If so, how would you say the upgrade was? Was the picture noticeably better or would that just be splitting hairs

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BigDruDogg said:

Have you seen the Criterion PS1? If so, how would you say the upgrade was? Was the picture noticeably better or would that just be splitting hairs

Not got the Criterion. Just watched PS2, I can see the colour issues on this one, it's just a bit off.Still looks good though, will watch PS3 tomorrow and then give the theatrical of PS2 a look. My only criticism so  far is the size of the box, it's huge and i'm nearly out of space :dull

• Like 3

Police Story.
As I sat down on the sofa and made myself comfortable, a slight wave of apprehension came over me as I thought back to the rather negative reviews (based on the current 4k masters but that's another story) I'd been reading on Eureka's 4k release of Police Story.
I should know better than to take a reviewers opinion as gospel.
This release of Police Story looks and sounds excellent. The best presentation I've ever seen. Vibrant primaries pop, blacks are deep, definition is sharp and my selected audio was a very nice, clean Cantonese Mono track. Very happy. No tint either but my TV setting are on the cooler side.image-w1280.jpg.93a8ee661444a30b71a83d04c00c403f.jpg
I loved revisiting this movie it really is a great example of how martial arts fights and stunts can be filmed and edited into a bustling display of adrenaline.
I listened to the commentary by Frank Djeng and F.J. DeSanto immediately after and really enjoyed it. They point out how even the comedy scenes are still moving the plot forward which to be honest I'd never really thought about. Really enjoying the pairing of these two.
Mike Leeder and Arne Venema provide their usual high standard, chilled out and enthusiastic commentary with plenty of info spread throughout the movie (I didn't know Jackie did that fall twice!).
This was a very pleasant viewing and I cannot wait to watch the Hong Kong theatrical cut of Police Story 2 tonight.

Edited by Drunksnake
  • Like 15

Police Story 2

(HK theatrical cut)

Eureka's Police Story trilogy is a 4k set. I know this. But when it comes to PS2 my main interest personally has been finally getting hold of a nice HD presentation of the superior HK theatrical cut.

The film looked amazing. The tighter pacing and better music really does elevate this cut and it really is a great action movie.

The excellent playground fight is brilliantly punctuated with the original score and is a master class of environmental stunts. The timing, rythm and editing is exceptional. Topped off with the great double angle cut of Jackie's evading wall run down an alley.

Jackie's directing had greatly improved since part 1, trimming down long comedy scenes with simple gags including Bill Tungs irritable bowl fiasco.

Maggie Cheung's character is used to show the horrific consequences of a one man vigilante cop and she suffers at the hands of the crooks. 

It seems Jackie had been watching Hollywood pyrotechnics closely and chose to finish the movie with an awesome explosion and simply runs away from it, with great visual impact.

The film is perfectly ended with the usual outtakes and Jackie singing the Police Story 2 theme tune rather than regurgitating the the song from the first. 

I enjoyed this viewing immensely and I'm happy more people are now able to see a beautiful print of this version of an absolutely stellar Chan action movie. A stronger structure than the first and although the bus stunt and shopping mall fight scenes are very difficult to top, part 2 offers plenty to keep action junkies more than happy.Police-Story-3.thumb.jpg.25cbd29e63bf82ed3ab0bd4fdba79b21.jpgPoliceStory2.jpg.2a6e0fe3bc20d1a5efaf26d512ab82c8.jpg

Edited by Drunksnake
  • Like 10
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Police Story 3: Supercop 
After finishing the previous two movies in Eureka's 4k trilogy release on a massive high, I was then ready to settle in for the 90's Bond-esque Chan/Yeah double whammy.
The film looked excellent and sounded great. 
The extras were rather excellent too. Arne Venema has done an excellent job with his Jackie Chan video game extra so I hope we see more of the sort. He's also done a pretty cool, energetic Police Story location guide. Not usually a fan of these but Arne presents it well and keeps it interesting so do check it out. Archival and new interviews are crammed in as well as nearly an hour of outtakes and behind the scenes footage. 
Frank Djeng, F.J. DeSanto, Mike Leeder and Arne Venema provide the commentaries again but I haven't listened to them yet for part 3 but the standard is always high with these guys.
The film wasn't as strong as I remember. A great entry to the trilogy but has a very different feel to the previous two movies due to its James Bond nature. No Police Force here just special agents Chan and Yeoh.
The Legendary Yuen wah is criminally underused in this movie. I always wanted him to square off with Jackie in this movie but unfortunately it never happens.
The ending is excellent. The helicopter scene requires balls of steel and was interesting to see in the outtakes how many times Jackie nearly missed and fell down the ladder after jumping to it from the building. For this reason Mars did the jump that you see in the film but Jackie did do it a few times.
Michelle Yeoh really gives Jackie a run for his money with her motorbike jump onto the train. Excellent action scene by these two.
I personally enjoyed every second of this set and am very happy with how all three movies look and sound. 
My overall impression is that part 1 has the best action, part 2 is the better movie and 3 is a fun spy style round off.
Can't wait to see what else Eureka brings us!30268903_policestory3-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg.696e1f4c3b2abfdaaf509fdc587eac6c.jpg

• Like 11

Want to give a shout out to everyone involved in getting this release out, I know the amount of work, time and costs it takes to get these incredible films ready and released.

Thank You Guys

• Like 12