The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

7 hours ago, Irongod2112 said:

I have the HK Panorama bluray and it does look very nice but Eureka will have better compression.

Also the Cantonese audio on the HK bluray isn't very good.

I had 2 new Cantonese tracks done for this release and they both sound fantastic! The Cantonese Home Video Mix is taken from the rare Japanese laserdisc. Alot of effort went into the new subtitle translation and it definitely makes it much better viewing experience. :)

Looks like it comes with two commentaries, a Sammo interview, the trailer and a booklet too — I’ll definitely be buying! Thanks!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jochem said:

I dunno? Eureka seems not interested in any explanation whatsoever. Except for the front artwork—which is excellent—we were about to be offered, just a yellow box?

I’m confused — what exactly is the deal with the Police Story trilogy box artwork?

42 minutes ago, WaverBoy said:

I’m confused — what exactly is the deal with the Police Story trilogy box artwork?

They initially promised individual artwork for each film by Kung Fu BOB, but they were dropped for some reason. 

Here's the message in the description of the unboxing video they posted: 

Please note: Due to unforeseen circumstances we have not been able to include reversible sleeves featuring individual sleeve designs by R.P. “Kung Fu Bob” O’Brien, as listed on the packaging. We are sorry for any disappointment this may cause

It's a shame the other artwork didn't pan out, but the hardbox still looks amazing so I'm not gonna complain too much.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, panzer said:

They initially promised individual artwork for each film by Kung Fu BOB, but they were dropped for some reason. 

Here's the message in the description of the unboxing video they posted: 

It's a shame the other artwork didn't pan out, but the hardbox still looks amazing so I'm not gonna complain too much.

I was really looking forward to seeing what KFB had done for each film so I am a little disappointed. 

However this looks set to be an amazing set. The content is looking likely to be excellent and I really can't wait to watch a decent looking version of the HK cut of PS2.

Edited by Drunksnake
  • Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 2

On 8/3/2022 at 4:29 AM, H A S S A N said:

Frank Djeng mentioned there's a BIG announcement for a November release from Eureka, I wonder what it could be?

So was this what was hinted at, or is there something else coming down the line?  I'm not really familiar with Dead and the Deadly, so the significance of this particular release is lost on me.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, starschwar said:

So was this what was hinted at, or is there something else coming down the line?  I'm not really familiar with Dead and the Deadly, so the significance of this particular release is lost on me.

It doesn’t seem to me that Frank Djeng would label this as something big. I think he’s implying that there’s something special around the corner. Perhaps it was postponed until December? A nice Christmas gift?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BLfan said:

That is a disappointing review on the picture quality, seems like they did not tweak anything from the original release. 

some work was done but they didn't have the budget to color correct them but David Mackenzie has worked on this set to bring out the best in these masters is what was said on the Hong Kong cinema appreciation group on facebook I too was hoping these were complete color correction my set has shipped so I will wait and see how they look when it arrives

Edited by actionfan93

I have mine in preorder as well. It appears to be a somewhat trouble set; we are not getting all of the artwork we hoped we would get. there seems to be something wrong with the lettering and the color grading isn’t optimal. Although I’m looking forward to mail-day. My expectations are somewhat tempered. If all mentioned above turn reality, another set, from another company, might hit the bullseye.

Just now, sifu iron perm said:

Just saw the 4K police story in the movie theatre and it wasn't impressive. 

Blurry in bits.

The sound was great though.

Disappointing for a supposed UHD

3 minutes ago, sifu iron perm said:

Just saw the 4K police story in the movie theatre and it wasn't impressive. 

Blurry in bits.

The sound was great though.

so I should stick to viewing my previously released bluray set of 1 and 2 for viewing then? this doesn't sound good for 1 and 2 hopefully 3 looks good

Are the color issues somewhat fixed in 1 or still  fully there I wonder if 2's yellow sky has changed somewhat

Edited by actionfan93

sifu iron perm
18 minutes ago, actionfan93 said:

so I should stick to viewing my previously released bluray set of 1 and 2 for viewing then? this doesn't sound good for 1 and 2 hopefully 3 looks good

Are the color issues somewhat fixed in 1 or still  fully there I wonder if 2's yellow sky has changed somewhat

I haven't seen police story 2 yet (the eureka upgrade), will do this week. 

As for the screening of part 1 only gripe was the blur bits but everything  else remained smooth, audio was clear and pronounced. 

4 minutes ago, sifu iron perm said:

I haven't seen police story 2 yet (the eureka upgrade), will do this week. 

As for the screening of part 1 only gripe was the blur bits but everything  else remained smooth, audio was clear and pronounced. 

how bad are the blur bits should I only view my blu-rays from the original set or do you think the 4ks are okay for home viewing?

sifu iron perm
7 minutes ago, actionfan93 said:

how bad are the blur bits should I only view my blu-rays from the original set or do you think the 4ks are okay for home viewing?

The new UHD of PS1 still favours above the former bluray set but still not perfect. I was expecting a smoother experience. 

1 minute ago, sifu iron perm said:

The new UHD of PS1 still favours above the former bluray set but still not perfect. I was expecting a smoother experience. 

thanks I appreciate the reply its too bad the budget wasn't enough to color correct the 2 films

• Buddha Bless You 1

Chemical Lemon

Ugh…. This is disappointing, I like these movies but I have so many copies I don’t need another one unless it’s a legit upgrade. Probably shouldn’t have pre ordered it before I heard some reviews. At least I get PS3 as part of it but I could have picked that up separately 

On 9/11/2022 at 8:37 PM, sifu iron perm said:

Please let me know if the same can be said for 2 but It was already said on the blu-ray site that the yellow tint is still there and as visible as before

7 minutes ago, actionfan93 said:

Please let me know if the same can be said for 2 but It was already said on the blu-ray site that the yellow tint is still there and as visible as before

The Hong Kong cut looks like it had some color correction done to it. You can see the screencaps on the blu-ray site for it as well. I don't remember if the previous Blu looked like that or not.

Edited by panzer
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, panzer said:

The Hong Kong cut looks like it had some color correction done to it. You can see the screencaps on the blu-ray site for it as well. I don't remember if the previous Blu looked like that or not.

but can't only the extended cut be played with an English dub of the 2?

1 hour ago, panzer said:

The Hong Kong cut in 2K (on a 4K disc), and with color correction done would make a good companion with my copy the standard 2K disc from Eureka, which only have the extended cut in 2K (the HK cut is in SD).