The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Would be thoughtful if all new UHD releases had regular included. That way fans who haven't yet upgraded their set-up could be interested in purchasing as well, and when they do upgrade, they'd already be owning the UHD version. 

If Police Story 4K release had regular included, I would've gotten the box, despite having their PS1&2 release. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Would be thoughtful if all new UHD releases had regular included.

Disagree. I know this is common practice from the major labels. But IMO it just needlessly increases the prices for those who have 4k equipment already. In the beginning of 4k this might have made sense, but IMO it's about time to stop with this practice. Physical media is expensive enough, I don't want to buy a Blu-ray that I never need again.

The german label Capelight does something nice: When they release 4k versions of movies they have released previously, they sometimes offer an "upgrade disc". This means you can buy just the 4k disc in a small cardboard sleeve for a reduced price, which can replace the disc you already had before without upgrading the packaging and all that expensive waste, too.

Edited by Kevin Chan
  • Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Chan said:

Disagree. I know this is common practice from the major labels. But IMO it just needlessly increases the prices for those who have 4k equipment already. In the beginning of 4k this might have made sense, but IMO it's about time to stop with this practice. Physical media is expensive enough, I don't want to buy a Blu-ray that I never need again.

The german label Capelight does something nice: When they release 4k versions of movies they have released previously, they sometimes offer an "upgrade disc". This means you can buy just the 4k disc in a small cardboard sleeve for a reduced price, which can replace the disc you already had before without upgrading the packaging and all that expensive waste, too.

I agree, I remember when I first bought a blu ray player a lot of films were coming in dual packs with blu ray and a dvd and it seemed a waste of money to me as I never bothered with the dvd version. I'd rather they keep them separate and people can upgrade in their own time rather than buying both.

Edited by andy338
  • Like 3

• Administrator
23 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Is this @KUNG FU BOB artwork? Also more art with Jackie's clean kicks, Look at those shoes!! Them gotta be either adidas or Nike SB. 

Guilty as charged. :bigsmile:

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Darth Kermit
On 8/25/2022 at 3:40 PM, bickle14 said:

you'd have to buy their previous release of Police Story I & II

Which also includes the extended cut of 1! I got that set for free due to amazon not wanting to return it overseas, so I got a refund and got to keep it lol. Doesn’t always happen that way, but sometimes life gives you lemonade

• Like 4

On 8/26/2022 at 1:41 PM, Kevin Chan said:

After checking the prices for the combo releases, I have to admit it's hard to disagree with what you've said. The thought did occur to me, but I didn't bother checking the prices. It's simply not fair to the 4K set-up owning collectors. 

On the other hand, I guess doing identical Blu-ray and UHD release for each movie/box-set, would be too expensive for the label. 

Capelight practice seems to be the best solution for the time being.

In my case, upgrading would be a major expense as I not only need the 4K multi region player but the 4K TV as well. With all the releases coming out now and being announced, I don't see that upgrade happening anytime soon. 

Which leads me to the next question. I know now that 4K MR players play regular BR, but do they play (different region) DVD's as well? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Super Ninja said:

After checking the prices for the combo releases, I have to admit it's hard to disagree with what you've said. The thought did occur to me, but I didn't bother checking the prices. It's simply not fair to the 4K set-up owning collectors. 

On the other hand, I guess doing identical Blu-ray and UHD release for each movie/box-set, would be too expensive for the label. 

Capelight practice seems to be the best solution for the time being.

In my case, upgrading would be a major expense as I not only need the 4K multi region player but the 4K TV as well. With all the releases coming out now and being announced, I don't see that upgrade happening anytime soon. 

Which leads me to the next question. I know now that 4K MR players play regular BR, but do they play (different region) DVD's as well? 

Most MR players that play MR Blu Ray's will also play MR DVD's too.

• Like 3

The exclusion of a Blu Ray might be a positive signal for physical media?

The 4K format seems strong enough too stand on his own two feet!

On 8/26/2022 at 8:22 AM, Super Ninja said:

Would be thoughtful if all new UHD releases had regular included.

This goes both ways for me so I half-agree.

For some examples:

- The new 4K scan of Batman is inferior -- they used a completely different color palette to make it look like it was made in the 2010s and the result is horrible -- to the regular 2K scan (more natural-looking and using original sound effects in the audio track) that is NOT included on disc.

- The 4K UHD disc of Predator -- the 4K scan is superior to the 2K scan -- only include the movie and few extras whereas the regular 2K disc includes more extras.

However, if a 4K UHD release doesn't have big significance in improvements or having anything new to present then I think only including everything on one disc is enough to buy yourself something for less money.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, saltysam said:

My MR 4k player plays dvds from different regions

9 hours ago, Graysman said:

Most MR players that play MR Blu Ray's will also play MR DVD's too.

Thanks for your answers @saltysam and @Graysman.

7 hours ago, DiP said:

This goes both ways for me so I half-agree.

For some examples:

- The new 4K scan of Batman is inferior -- they used a completely different color palette to make it look like it was made in the 2010s and the result is horrible -- to the regular 2K scan (more natural-looking and using original sound effects in the audio track) that is NOT included on disc.

- The 4K UHD disc of Predator -- the 4K scan is superior to the 2K scan -- only include the movie and few extras whereas the regular 2K disc includes more extras.

However, if a 4K UHD release doesn't have big significance in improvements or having anything new to present then I think only including everything on one disc is enough to buy yourself something for less money.

Well that further complicates things. So 4K is obviously the future and upgrade is something that awaits all of us at one point, but in the end it'll come down to comparing the prices, extras and the quality of different releases. I guess the game stays the same. 

• Like 5

Irongod has confirmed that we should be seeing another release of the Project A films (though he didn't specify who or which region it was going to be released in), and that it will include the export cut in HD.

• Like 5

I'm guessing it's 88 Films in the US., just going off the fact that it was owned by Miramax and they seem to have all those so far.

It'd be cool if they could do it in 4k this time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nahnahnah said:

Irongod has confirmed that we should be seeing another release of the Project A films (though he didn't specify who or which region it was going to be released in), and that it will include the export cut in HD.

hopefully 4K I've been hoping for a 4K of Project A

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, actionfan93 said:

hopefully 4K I've been hoping for a 4K of Project A

Irongod confirmed that there won't be a 4K release, which would make sense since the films were restored in 2K.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, nahnahnah said:

Irongod confirmed that there won't be a 4K release, which would make sense since the films were restored in 2K.

well thats sad to hear I wonder why another release then I will wait and see what this new one offers

50 minutes ago, actionfan93 said:

well thats sad to hear I wonder why another release then I will wait and see what this new one offers

Safe to assume these will be US releases.

• Like 2

On 8/26/2022 at 2:04 PM, andy338 said:

I agree, I remember when I first bought a blu ray player a lot of films were coming in dual packs with blu ray and a dvd and it seemed a waste of money to me as I never bothered with the dvd version. I'd rather they keep them separate and people can upgrade in their own time rather than buying both.

I agree with this, but my take is that it gives you the option to play the movies in other formats.

For example, now you get a BluRay along with a UHD. I have a UHD-ready TV and UHD BluRay player in my living room. However, I have standard BluRay machines in the bedrooms.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Graysman said:

Any suggestions guys??

Still hoping against hope for the John Woo Director's Cut of A Better Tomorrow II to celebrate the movie's 35th anniversary.  Would also be happy with solid releases of the first movie, Killer, Hard-Boiled.  Fist of Legend would be miraculous.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, starschwar said:

Still hoping against hope for the John Woo Director's Cut of A Better Tomorrow II to celebrate the movie's 35th anniversary.  Would also be happy with solid releases of the first movie, Killer, Hard-Boiled.  Fist of Legend would be miraculous.  

You and me both man. I saw VinSyn say they are putting out "an ultraviolent hong kong actioner from one of the masters of the genre" in November and I will literally cry if it is a John Woo or Ringo Lam classic. They NEED good releases.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, tomgray2404 said:

I agree with this, but my take is that it gives you the option to play the movies in other formats.

For example, now you get a BluRay along with a UHD. I have a UHD-ready TV and UHD BluRay player in my living room. However, I have standard BluRay machines in the bedrooms.

I would rather buy the title once as a BD/UHD combo, rather than buying the same titles twice within a 5 year span. 

• Like 3

I'd rather buy the title once in UHD because my main setup is fully capable. The normal Blu-ray next to the UHD is of no value to me. I don't want to pay for stuff I don't need.

• Like 2