The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

TibetanWhiteCrane
42 minutes ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

Can anyone offer a comparison for The Shaolin Plot? Never seen it or know anything about it. I am a big Sammo fan, but with the amount of amazing releases we have been getting, it's hitting the wallet hard. Basically I need excuse to buy it lol

Along the lines of The Himalayan, Chen Sing is evil, there's some excellent kicking and Sammo is a badguy. It's not an essential buy in my book.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

Can anyone offer a comparison for The Shaolin Plot? Never seen it or know anything about it. I am a big Sammo fan, but with the amount of amazing releases we have been getting, it's hitting the wallet hard. Basically I need excuse to buy it lol

Same for me. My excuses were Sammo and the coverart🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Along the lines of The Himalayan, Chen Sing is evil, there's some excellent kicking and Sammo is a badguy. It's not an essential buy in my book.

I’d second this. It’s a solid but forgettable movie, I’d only get it if I was trying to be a Sammo completionist or something.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, paimeifist said:

I’d second this. It’s a solid but forgettable movie, I’d only get it if I was trying to be a Sammo completionist or something.

I used to own the vcd and I watched it 2 or 3 times as i'd heard a lot of good stuff about it but I can't remember anything about it at all so I agree it's forgettable. I've decided to skip this release it's not a must buy for me, as others have said with the amount of stuff coming i'm sure most of us will be prioritising some titles over others.

Edited by andy338
  • Like 1

Beardys Feather

Shaolin Plot is excellent for me... Much more intrigue and drama than average. Kam Kong and Chen Sing are outstanding! :cool

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Beardys Feather said:

Shaolin Plot is excellent for me... Much more intrigue and drama than average. Kam Kong and Chen Sing are outstanding! :cool

I second that. Idiscovered this movie only a few months ago, and I positively LOVED it ! Chen Sing's duplicity and James Tien courage were outstanding for me !

• Like 6

thundered mantis

Shaolin Plot is a must in my book. All star cast, nice scenery, good acting, good action. The Eureka blu gives a new life to the film, that benefits greatly from the stronger colours that blu ray provides. On the Sammo´s old school top ten for me: The Victim, Spooky Encounter, The Odd Couple, Knockabout, Prodigal Son, Magnificent Butcher, Two Toothles Tigers, Iron Fisted Monk, Warriors Two, Shaolin Plot, in no particular order.

• Like 10

Shaolin Plot is great. Saw it first time 20 years ago on my chinese fullscreen DVD and always wanted to see it in widescreen. Than a few years ago when Shoot brought it to DVD on their Martial Arts Movie Marathon 2 compilation i was totally flashed. But now on Eureka's Blu Ray it is as like a dream come true. Watched it with a friend over beamer in his homecinema and i felt like in my teens when i was able to see fu in the theater. Great experience !!!

• Like 9

thundered mantis

On a side note about the otherwise excellent eureka release, I was dissapointed that the commentaries had no subs. I don't usually listen to the commentaries, basically due to lack of time, but I think they are really valuable additions to the films. On this film, as it shows so interesting environment, costumes, decoration, actors, I felt like listening to the commentaries. 

Not being a native english speaker, I found them difficult to follow, both for the sound and for the spelling. The HKL commentaries were so much better in those departments, and if memory serves me right, they were also subbed. 

Whoever is in touch with Eureka, I know it's impossible to cram every possible option in those releases, but I suggest the subs for the commentaries for the international fans whose english hearing is not so good. @Irongod2112

@irongod

Edited by thundered mantis
  • Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane
27 minutes ago, thundered mantis said:

The HKL commentaries were so much better in those departments, and if memory serves me right, they were also subbed. 

Don't remember the HKL comms being subbed, and I own them all. If they are, it is certainly a feature I completely missed, but I don't believe so.

• Like 3

thundered mantis

I may very well be wrong, it's been years since I listened to them. Anyway, I had no problem understanding them, this not being unfortunately the case with Shaolin Plot. 

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 hour ago, thundered mantis said:

I may very well be wrong, it's been years since I listened to them. Anyway, I had no problem understanding them, this not being unfortunately the case with Shaolin Plot. 

Bey was very clear and concise, still the best to do it if you ask me. 

Who's doing the comm in Shaolin Plot?

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

thundered mantis
8 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Bey was very clear and concise, still the best to do it if you ask me. 

Who's doing the comm in Shaolin Plot?

Yeah, it seemed to me that he did a conscius effort to speak very clearly, his commentaries were excellent also.

Shaolin plot has two different commentaries, one by Frank Djeng and Michael Worth, and the other by Mike Leeder and Arne Venema. I switched a bit between the two.

• Like 3

Can't wait to get the Angela Mao Hapkido / Lady Whirlwind release. Hapkido is such a classic. And Lady Whirlwind was one of the first Angela Mao movies i saw after Enter the Dragon and The Fate of Lee Khan. Remeber when back in the 90's a friend of mine had the dutch tape and i was jealous. Made a copy via vcr to vcr and watched it several times. When Hapkido came out on DVD in UK i bought it on a movie market and it was very expensive but worth every cent to watch it on my Panasonic widescreen 32' TV  which i was very proud at the time. I was annoying my movie collector friends ( most of them didn't like fu ) to watch it. And afterwards some became fu fans too... asking me which fu is good. I love to be a movie collector....

:pandakungfu

Edited by kuenfist
writing errors
  • Like 9
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Super Ninja
On 6/24/2022 at 9:27 AM, Master with OK Fingers said:

Here's what a friend had to say about the significance of Shaolin Plot. Huang Feng's last movie before passing the torch to Sammo, choreo advanced for 77., bridges the gap between early old school and new old school, some of Sammo's best work and even his best villain role till SPL according to him. 

I have yet to rewatch it before agreeing or confirming, but I believe his words. 

There's also an article dedicated to it at the SCMP site, calling it a hidden gem and speaking about it quite favorably so you might wanna check it out.

• Like 6

Nobody should let such a movie aside, because it's a real luck to finally get some of these old gems in very good quality print. I know that monye is tight, it's also tight for me too, but getting martial arts movie we all love and that were only available in bad VHS quality and non legit formats during many dozens of years is a must in 2022.

• Like 13
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Master with OK Fingers

Wow, thanks for the feedback. I am definitely leaning more towards getting than not. I might just have to wait a bit longer. Hopefully the 1st run will still be available. I need to keep all the slip's together! lol

• Like 2

Master with OK Fingers

Turns out, I already own it on this Danish release image.png.1ac3b6dc5f274659542985207358a850.png:monk_smh:

I'll have to give it a go before deciding whether to double dip.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

Turns out, I already own it on this Danish release image.png.1ac3b6dc5f274659542985207358a850.png:monk_smh:

I'll have to give it a go before deciding whether to double dip.

I also own this. Good release if youre ok with dubs. I decided to pass on the Eureka releases for these titles. Ill probably give in for Lady Kung Fu/Hapkido though, that movie was way above my expectations and id like a more complete release of that. I also liked the shaolin plot out of this one, but dont really need the Eureka extras for it. 

• Like 2

tomgray2404

Shaolin Plot is class for all the reasons above, AND Casanova Wong going turbo with superkicks in the final reel.

The 2K print is gorgeous.

• Like 9

AlexanderFu

LOL, you guys and ladies are killing me with these threads! I just saw The Shaolin Plot BR in this thread, and I didn't see it yet completely, so I ordered that (and Duel to the Death - one of THE BEST). Another 46$ out the door, but I'll do my part to support, even though I got the movies (Not in BR though). I just wish they came with posters. I'm gonna frame 'em and hang 'em, like they were gold records or something.

Between 88, Eureka, Arrow and whoever else, I bought about 20+ Blu-rays in the past month. No one can say I didn't try to support at least! Every one should pick up their favorites. it's definitely worth it imo.

Edited by AlexanderFu
  • Like 9
  • Buddha Bless You 1