The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Irongod2112
4 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

@Irongod2112 I know that Criterion have been releasing more non-action/martial arts HK titles lately (which is a great thing and the other labels should honestly be doing the same thing), but do you know if Criterion are planning on releasing any more action films any time this year?

Well they do have the Heroic Trio films and they confirmed to have one of my all time favorites but no idea when that will get a release but I was told they will contact me when the time comes. :)

• Like 7

actionfan93
10 minutes ago, Irongod2112 said:

I would love to do releases of films like The Buddhist Fist and all the Seasonal Films but they need to be restored first and labels like Eureka & 88 Films just don't have the money to do that unfortunately.

Doesn't mean it can never happen but as of right now there's no plans. Although I think Butterfly Murders recently had a new restoration so that's one to look out for! :)

would it be the same situation for Hard Boiled and The Killer if the rights could be secured the films need to be restored first Arrow had Hard boiled on their poll of what people would most like to see whether or not they can make a deal for it and the Killer is the question hopefully eventually the rights holders see that it would be better to sell rights to specific titles than trying to sell them all at once

• Like 1

sifu iron perm
42 minutes ago, clanarchy said:

I was thinking the same thing. Would love a 2nd Kuo box set. I can understand the sales won’t be up with the more obvious Jackie/Sammo releases but in all honesty I’m getting a little tired of multiple Police Story boxsets etc. As good as the films are I’m simply in no rush to watch it for 155th time no matter the 4K upgrade.

Personally I’d prefer a 10disc Hwang Jang Lee box set. I’d happily slap £100 down for one lol. 

Right on the Money brother!! 100 quid that is, lol. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Irongod2112 said:

Well they do have the Heroic Trio films and they confirmed to have one of my all time favorites but no idea when that will get a release but I was told they will contact me when the time comes. :)

That's great to hear that The Heroric Trio films are coming soon. I saw the first one years ago, so I don't remember or know much about them, but are there any alternative versions/scenes or audio tracks that are associated with either films? Unlike the films of Jackie or Sammo, I don't think Johnnie To was known to have multiple versions of his films.

Glad to hear that they were able to pick up the rights to one your favourite films. Is it something that's already been released? Also, completely random question but what are some of your favourite films of all time? :wink:

• Like 3

7 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

Right on the Money brother!! 100 quid that is, lol. 

Lol and for the record despite the rant I ordered the UHD Police Story anyway but I really want more old skool 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

13 hours ago, clanarchy said:

I was thinking the same thing. Would love a 2nd Kuo box set. I can understand the sales won’t be up with the more obvious Jackie/Sammo releases but in all honesty I’m getting a little tired of multiple Police Story boxsets etc. As good as the films are I’m simply in no rush to watch it for 155th time no matter the 4K upgrade.

Personally I’d prefer a 10disc Hwang Jang Lee box set. I’d happily slap £100 down for one lol. 

Thats pretty much the same for me. I get why the jackie and sammo films are high priority because since the vhs days they have always been big sellers but i really want films previously only available in fullscreen vhs quality. Even if they are just scans from original prints in widescreen with only light touch up work to go hand in hand with the jackie/sammo releases to pffset any potential low sales would still be high on my wants list

• Like 5

FightingFool

Angel Boxset...3rd part is not that gool and german dvd is ok. But #2 is incredible. Jackie Chan collaborator Stanley Tong did make Moon Lee look so good in fights. Specially in the end..

hwang jang lee boxset would be tremendous specially with secret rivals, dragon claws and drunk mantis.

Edited by FightingFool
  • Like 4

actionfan93
1 minute ago, FightingFool said:

Angel Boxset...3rd part is not that gool and german dvd is ok. But #2 is incredible. Jackie Chan collaborator Stanley Tong did make Moon Lee look so good in fights. Specially in the end..

hwang jang lee boxset would be tremendous specially with secret rivals, dragon claws and drunk mantis.

if Killer angels is owned by the same rights holder as Angel 1-3 why not throw it in an angel boxset including Angel 1-3 and Killer Angels I am not sure if 2 is coming but i see better chances for it than 3 if thats the case a boxset of Angel 1,2 and Killer Angels would be perfect if 3 does not get any treatment

• Like 3

FightingFool
3 minutes ago, actionfan93 said:

if Killer angels is owned by the same rights holder as Angel 1-3 why not throw it in an angel boxset including Angel 1-3 and Killer Angels I am not sure if 2 is coming but i see better chances for it than 3 if thats the case a boxset of Angel 1,2 and Killer Angels would be perfect if 3 does not get any treatment

Let`s see...it`s just waiting jackie, samo and yuen titles are done(and hopefully make lots money to eureka! and 88) we get some more obscure movies. I would like killer angels too, never seen it..and burning ambition!

• Like 4

actionfan93
5 minutes ago, FightingFool said:

Let`s see...it`s just waiting jackie, samo and yuen titles are done(and hopefully make lots money to eureka! and 88) we get some more obscure movies. I would like killer angels too, never seen it..and burning ambition!

the problem is not every movie will see restoration or remastering unless the rights holder think it will sell well and also they are coming Irongod2112 hinted that In the Line of Duty 1-4 are coming and there is a good chance of a UK label releasing Angel and Killer Angels he said as well and Princess Madam and Angel Enforcers are coming from Germany, we might see Devil Hunters as it has a new 2k restoration out there and maybe Outlaw Brothers and Beauty Investigator but I don't see Angel Force or Mission of Condor coming 

• Like 1

FightingFool
Just now, actionfan93 said:

the problem is not every movie will see restoration or remastering unless the rights holder think it will sell well and also they are coming Irongod2112 hinted that In the Line of Duty 1-4 are coming and there is a good chance of a UK label releasing Angel and Killer Angels he said as well and Princess Madam and Angel Enforcers are coming from Germany, we might see Devil Hunters as it has a new 2k restoration out there and maybe Outlaw Brothers and Beauty Investigator but I don't see Angel Force or Mission of Condor coming 

Of course. But if those bigger titles sells well hopefully there is chance more less known ones surface. Not holding breath on that but still...Outlaw brothers I do not like that much but as that subgenre so thin would buy it anyway!

• Like 1

Speaking of Born Invincible, is there any known prints of it? I don't think I've ever seen a widescreen print of it

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Irongod2112 said:

Last Hero in China is a big favorite of mine!! :) The rights to Fist of Legend is a mystery at this time. I came up with the idea of adding it to Criterion's Bruce Lee box set as an extra and they were up for including it, but they could not figure out the rights unfortunately.

Are the rights to Fist of Legend a mystery because they are entangled in one of the Weinstein Company's many bankruptcies? Or is it something else?

Shame that Criterion wasn't allowed to include Last Hero in China in their OUATIC boxset.

Edited by dwk
  • Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane

Miramax and WB buying the rights to all those HK classics back in the day was the worst thing that could ever happen to those films, and the fans. And the effects of it are still felt to this day, over 20 years later. It's ridiculous.

Edited by TibetanWhiteCrane
  • Like 12
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1

Iron Head Rat
23 hours ago, thelastweaponmaster said:

Would love to see a Seasonal Films box set (Volume 1) that could include at least:

1. Secret Rivals
  2. Secret Rivals 2
  3. Legend of a Fighter
  4. Ninja in the Dragon's Den
  5. The Butterfly Murders

etc.

Bingo :monk_swinging:

• Like 2

Irongod2112
6 hours ago, dwk said:

Shame that Criterion wasn't allowed to include Last Hero in China in their OUATIC boxset.

They were up for it but Tsui Hark said no way!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

starschwar
24 minutes ago, Irongod2112 said:

They were up for it but Tsui Hark said no way!

That actually makes sense.  Basically the same reason why they'll never put Never Say Never Again in a box set with the EON Productions James Bond movies. 

• Like 2

De Ming Li
41 minutes ago, starschwar said:

That actually makes sense.  Basically the same reason why they'll never put Never Say Never Again in a box set with the EON Productions James Bond movies. 

Unfortunately I'm ignorant on that so what happened there?

starschwar
9 minutes ago, De Ming Li said:

Unfortunately I'm ignorant on that so what happened there?

To make a long story short:

James Bond films are based on the work of novelist Ian Fleming.  Almost all are produced by EON Productions, who hold the rights to many staples of the character in film - the gun barrel opening sequences, the iconic James Bond Theme, etc.

Kevin McClory, producer of the 1965 Bond film Thunderball had legal rights to remake that movie.  He did so, in the form of Never Say Never Again in 1983, without the participation of EON Productions.  However, Never Say Never Again does star Sean Connery, who had previously played the character six times from 1962-1971.

So, although Wong Jing was perfectly free to make a Wong Fei Hung movie, and although Jet Li starred, Tsui Hark does not consider Last Hero in China to be a part of his series, in the same way that Never Say Never Again is not part of the official James Bond series.  Same characters, same actors, but excluded from official 'canon'. 

Edited by starschwar
  • Like 8
  • Buddha Bless You 1

FightingFool
On 5/29/2022 at 5:23 PM, actionfan93 said:

the problem is not every movie will see restoration or remastering unless the rights holder think it will sell well

that is true but wish label make fundraising attempt to see if it makes enough money to pick rights+remastering costs for less known movie,

And for better known ones like legend of a fighter+ninja in dragons den label would very likely make profit even if pay themselves remastering.

Edited by FightingFool
  • Like 4

FightingFool
30 minutes ago, thehangman said:

Still Dreaming of a PantyHose hero Bluray but dont think that will ever happen

it`s Samo so would not bury hopes on that...His title most hoping is by hook or by crook.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, thehangman said:

Still Dreaming of a PantyHose hero Bluray but dont think that will ever happen

At least I have the LD! 😎

• Like 3

7 hours ago, FightingFool said:

it`s Samo so would not bury hopes on that...His title most hoping is by hook or by crook.

I have the Deltamac DVD of that, but now I can’t remember if I’ve watched it! I might have to pull that one out soon!

• Like 2