The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

sifu iron perm
4 hours ago, Ronin said:

Certain folks involved with these releases have hinted that the ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA trilogy may get a 4K UHD release next...

Bloody hell!

• Like 4

Drunken Monk
5 hours ago, Ronin said:

Certain folks involved with these releases have hinted that the ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA trilogy may get a 4K UHD release next...

If a 4K box-set contains EVERY movie in 4K then it’s a must buy for me.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

That’s good news. But, why no reconstruction allowed of the extended cut of PS1, or even the mere inclusion of it??? Makes absolutely zero sense. 😩

I think it might be because the only available source contains embedded Japanese subtitles and is HD only. Also, Fortune Star will not allow Japanese subtitles in certain regions. There might be other factors as well (perhaps material of a higher quality was unavailable or inaccessible).

7 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Because Fortune Star is satan himself. One of the worst companies that has ever existed.

To be fair, I’ve actually found them pretty helpful overall (better than some others).

• Like 4

starschwar

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.  While I'm unhappy with FS's policies in this matter, there are far greater evils.  At least they're allowing the Hong Kong theatrical cuts out.  The likes of Dimension and New Line had their butchered versions replace many of the original cuts, even in Hong Kong. and the process of making that right is still ongoing at a glacial pace.

Edited by starschwar
  • Like 9

BigDruDogg

First of all what classic news!!!

Now I get to buy these movies again for the hundredth time 😂 

but I have a question for my tech savvy kung fu brethren, I have a region free Blu-ray player and a US 4K player if I ordered the 4K set would that work on my player or do I need a UK 4K player in order to play the films? 

I haven’t dipped into buying overseas 4Ks yet, if worse comes to worse I could just order Supercop, but that set looks tantalizing 🤤 

Edited by BigDruDogg
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BigDruDogg said:

First of all what classic news!!!

Now I get to buy these movies again for the hundredth time 😂 

but I have a question for my tech savvy kung fu brethren, I have a region free Blu-ray player and a US 4K player if I ordered the 4K set would that work on my player or do I need a UK 4K player in order to play the films? 

I haven’t dipped into buying overseas 4Ks yet, if worse comes to worse I could just order Supercop, but that set looks tantalizing 🤤 

Your US 4K player will play them. UHDs are region free. 

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 3

BigDruDogg
39 minutes ago, bickle14 said:

Your US 4K player will play them. UHDs are region free. 

Great News, Thank you kindly!! ✌🏻 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chen lung said:

I think it might be because the only available source contains embedded Japanese subtitles and is HD only. Also, Fortune Star will not allow Japanese subtitles in certain regions. There might be other factors as well (perhaps material of a higher quality was unavailable or inaccessible).

That reasoning doesn’t hold water though. The bulk of the A/V reconstruction could obviously be taken from the restoration of the HK theatrical cut, and the Japanese subtitles and other unwanted marks like nicks and scratches could be digitally painted out of the footage unique to the Japanese print, and the whole thing color-corrected to match. After all, all of this has already been done in one particular “fanedit”, with very nice results, so I’ve no doubt that a professional job would be even nicer. The Japanese footage looks just fine after digital cleanup. As for being in HD only, that wouldn’t be a dealbreaker because the reconstruction of the HK theatrical cut of PS2 will be in HD only and Fortune Star is fine with that.

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 2

Killer Meteor

If OUATIC is coming, they REALLY need to sort out the colour timing - even the Criterion still had un or under corrected day-for-night shots.

• Like 1

I've dipped for the PS movies yet again but wouldn't for the OUATIC unless all 6 movies were in the set.

• Like 4

WB doesn't license to Eureka, so they will not get OUATIC Parts 4 and 5. (Heck, I learned yesterday that it was very difficult for Criterion to get them from WB and they have a very strong relationship with each other.) Plus, Criterion's transfers for those 2 were only done in 2K.

• Like 4

I hope Eureka will improve the quality of their thicker booklets in the future. I had the 3-4 last pages of the Joseph Kuo set falling out. Kindly enough they sent me a replacement booklet but the same has happened with this one. A result of cheap binding unfortunately. I opened the thing maybe 3 times before they fell out. Anyone else had this happening?

actionfan93

I am not sure if the new 4k Police story 1 and 2 have had more color restoration but I am hoping they have hopefully been fixed if not they are still worth it

sifu iron perm

I am all for double or triple dipping on certain titles but doing so within a year or two is pushing it baby!

Irongod2112
On 5/25/2022 at 12:02 PM, Ronin said:

That's certainly news to me! I was told the set wasn't a big seller for Eureka but hey, you never know. :)

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Irongod2112 said:

That's certainly news to me! I was told the set wasn't a big seller for Eureka but hey, you never know. :)

That's interesting, do you know which movies/sets have been most popular? I remember reading that the first 3 Sammo movies were released together as there was uncertainty of their popularity as single releases but i'm sure any doubts have now disappeared, Eastern Condors in particular really should get it's own special edition. I hope there isn't reluctance to release more Jet Li titles if OUATIC didn't do as well as expected.

• Like 1

FightingFool
9 hours ago, Irongod2112 said:

That is probably subjective. It did sell at least enough to make into standard edition( Still have lim on factory plastic, should view it some year)...And Joseph Kuo box still is available as limited edition. But likely licencing fee for OUATIC was high..Shaolin temple 1&2, if their rights are in limbo and not available, still few great other jet li movies would want to see on br. Most important dragon fight and my father is a hero.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FightingFool said:

That is probably subjective. It did sell at least enough to make into standard edition( Still have lim on factory plastic, should view it some year)...And Joseph Kuo box still is available as limited edition. But likely licencing fee for OUATIC was high..Shaolin temple 1&2, if their rights are in limbo and not available, still few great other jet li movies would want to see on br. Most important dragon fight and my father is a hero.

+Fongsaiyuk + taichi +...

• Like 2

Irongod2112

Hey guys, I'm currently looking to recruit more HK Cinema fans to assist with future releases coming from both Eureka & 88 Films.

I'm especially looking for people that have experience with subtitles and translating Cantonese or Mandarin.

I'm also looking for knowledgable fans to assist with quality check work. Please send me a PM if you're interested and we can discuss more. :)

• Like 4

actionfan93

@Irongod2112 who has Jackie Chan's Who Am I now for outside the U.S rights I hope it can eventually join the Eureka or 88 or another label's lineup I think Sony holds the rights for the U.S. still but Warner archive confirmed on facebook they don't hold the domestic rights to Who AM I not sure if they hold the international rights or if another company does though

and I hope sometime in the future you will announce Eureka,88 or another label have acquired Hard Boiled and The Killer as I am sure if the rights can be secured eventually then releases will definitely happen

also with Germany getting releases of Full Contact and Tiger on Beat are those coming from a UK label as well or should i get the german versions

Edited by actionfan93
  • Like 3

ShawAngela
1 minute ago, actionfan93 said:

@Irongod2112 who has Jackie Chan's Who Am I now for outside the U.S rights I hope it can eventually join the Eureka or 88 another label's lineup I think Sony holds the rights for the U.S. still but Warner archive confirmed on facebook they don't hold the domestic rights to Who AM I not sure if they hold the international rights or if another company does though

and I hope sometime in the future you will announce Eureka,88 or another label have acquired Hard Boiled and The Killer as I am sure if the rights can be secured eventually then releases will definitely happen

I too would like to see a deluxe edition of Who am I ! I loved this movie !

• Like 4

Killer Meteor

I assume LAST HERO IN CHINA and KUNG FU CULT MASTER  would be likely Jet Li titles.

Who owns all those titles like FIST OF LEGEND and TAI CHI MASTER these days?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Irongod2112 said:

You will definitely be seeing more Jet Li titles coming from the UK labels. :)

That works for me! :)

• Like 2