The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

starschwar

Looking forward to the details.  I hope that if there's anything substantially new for the first two that they aren't 4K only, as that isn't a format I have access to.  Either way, I'm hyped for Supercop.   I can finally retire my VCD!

• Like 3

actionfan93
2 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

preordered both wow this year has been fantastic for my wishlist its shrinking quickly all I have left on it now is Angel 1,In the line of Duty 1-4 boxset which I assume is coming,Killer Angels hopefully in the future,Hard Boiled hopefully in the future and Who AM I hopefully in the future

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, actionfan93 said:

preordered both wow this year has been fantastic for my wishlist its shrinking quickly all I have left on it now is Angel 1,In the line of Duty 1-4 boxset which I assume is coming,Killer Angels hopefully in the future,Hard Boiled hopefully in the future and Who AM I hopefully in the future

Aren't you in the US? Free shipping if ordering directly from Eureka whenever they put them up. Amazon UK is costly.

Edited by bickle14
  • Like 3

actionfan93
4 minutes ago, bickle14 said:

Aren't you in the US? Free shipping if ordering directly from Eureka whenever they put them up. Amazon UK is costly.

I am but until they put it up I want to make sure I secure my copies

• Like 1

Irongod2112
22 hours ago, starschwar said:

Hypothetical things that could make me double dip on the first two:

• Restored Japanese cut of part 1
  • Export cut of part 1 in HD, the version with Cantonese dialogue combined with the Kevin Bassinson music - it is rare, but it is not lost.

Now that the cat is out of the bag I can confirm a few things for the first film. I'm actually looking at the test disc as I write this...

Unfortunately Eureka were not able to include the Japanese version of the first film. They actually got in a bit of trouble the first time around for including it.

If you guys remember Criterion had tried to include it, but was told no.

I know that's a bummer but this set will still have alot of reasons for fans to double dip. :)

The Export Cut for the first film will be included on the UHD as an extra in HD 1080p. Besides the Classic English dub It will include the rare Cantonese audio track with the Kevin Bassinson soundtrack and it sounds amazing! :)

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Buddha Bless You 3

Whoa. Amazon let a giant cat out of the bag…

Now that we know it’s coming, I reiterate my desire for a Brandon Bentley rescue of the extended Japanese cut of PS1, and will add to the vote for a BB rescue of the HK cut of PS2. With all the spare time he has on his hands, of course. 😁

I would happily donate funds to make this happen.

5 hours ago, Irongod2112 said:

Unfortunately Eureka were not able to include the Japanese version of the first film. They actually got in a bit of trouble the first time around for including it.

That really, really, really sucks. I’m sorry, but there are no two ways around it. I never watch the HK cut anymore, as it’s just not as satisfying without the proper beginning and ending of the film. Plus, it makes absolutely zero sense as to why Fortune Star wouldn’t allow it, when they allow other extended and hybrid cuts of just about everything else. Color me extremely disappointed and confused.

If a reconstruction/restoration of the HK cut of PS2 is included, I’ll pick this up for that. Even better would be a hybrid audio track for the extended Japanese cut of PS2 with the addition of the music cues from the HK cut in the applicable scenes. That would help make up for the senseless absence of the essential and superior extended Japanese version of PS1.

• Buddha Bless You 1

actionfan93
12 minutes ago, Irongod2112 said:

Now that the cat is out of the bag I can confirm a few things for the first film. I'm actually looking at the test disc as I write this...

I know that's a bummer but this set will still have alot of reasons for fans to double dip. :)

The Export Cut for the first film will be included on the UHD as an extra in HD 1080p. Besides the Classic English dub It will include the rare Cantonese audio track with the Kevin Bassinson soundtrack and it sounds amazing! :)

thanks for the update I hope if they happen in the future the rest of my wishlist you make them happen @Irongod2112 I am hoping Eureka and 88 pick up what ever they can of my wishlist in the future but I think Who Am I is stuck with Sony who's doing nothing with it unfortunately and if Hard Boiled ever gets out of rights purgatory I hope Eureka or 88 or another label releases it and gives it the proper treatment it deserves

starschwar

Thanks for the info, @Irongod2112 .  I'll weigh my options as more details come to light.  Bummer to hear about the Japanese Cut getting axed.  I consider that to be the definitive version of the film. 

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Just now, starschwar said:

Thanks for the info, @Irongod2112 .  I'll weigh my options as more details come to light.  Bummer to hear about the Japanese Cut getting axed.  I consider that to be the definitive version of the film. 

It’s absolutely the definitive version of the film. The HK cut is markedly inferior to the long version IMO, as the entire proper beginning and ending of the film have been senselessly chainsawed off. I guess proper character introduction and proper establishment of running gags and character motivations and final story closure are for chumps. After I got a subtitled copy of the long version, I never watched the HK cut again.

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

About thirty minutes ago I told myself I’d never triple dip for Police Story and Police Story 2.

I’m already beginning to change my mind. I really am wrapped around these companies’ little fingers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

starschwar
1 minute ago, WaverBoy said:

It’s absolutely the definitive version of the film. The HK cut is markedly inferior to the long version IMO, as the entire proper beginning and ending of the film have been senselessly chainsawed off. I guess proper character introduction and proper establishment of running gags and character motivations and final story closure are for chumps. After I got a subtitled copy of the long version, I never watched the HK cut again.

I'll use spoiler tags for anyone who hasn't seen that version.

Spoiler

The extended opening is a revelation.  It makes the goofy cake-in-the-face bit more than a mere running gag, adding a point of origin.  Adds a little humanity to the supporting cast.  Letting us know it's Ka-Kui's birthday in advance also adds context to his conduct, the way he revels in being hailed as a hero.

And the extended ending really changes the whole movie..  At the start, Ka Kui busts Chu Tai, causing horrible damage to the homes of some of Hong Kong's most destitute.  For this, he is made an icon.  At the end, he accomplishes the same task - but instead the damage is done to a shopping mall, and he is locked away just like the rest of them.  Jackie's really trying to say something about justice, income inequality,  Freezing on angry Jackie isn't anywhere nearly as effective as seeing him get booked alongside the villain. 

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 2

44 minutes ago, Irongod2112 said:

Are you allowed to say if the colors for all 3 films have been redone?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, starschwar said:

I'll use spoiler tags for anyone who hasn't seen that version.

Hide contents

The extended opening is a revelation.  It makes the goofy cake-in-the-face bit more than a mere running gag, adding a point of origin.  Adds a little humanity to the supporting cast.  Letting us know it's Ka-Kui's birthday in advance also adds context to his conduct, the way he revels in being hailed as a hero.

And the extended ending really changes the whole movie..  At the start, Ka Kui busts Chu Tai, causing horrible damage to the homes of some of Hong Kong's most destitute.  For this, he is made an icon.  At the end, he accomplishes the same task - but instead the damage is done to a shopping mall, and he is locked away just like the rest of them.  Jackie's really trying to say something about justice, income inequality,  Freezing on angry Jackie isn't anywhere nearly as effective as seeing him get booked alongside the villain. 

Agreed, although

Spoiler

it’s actually Big Mouth Kam’s birthday at the beginning, not Ka Kui’s. But it does properly introduce the characters, including Francis, the rookie, who is assigned to follow Ka Kui on patrol, the revelation of which lends greater resonance to a later scene during the shantytown raid involving both characters. It is also established that Ka Kui has just returned from Special Police Force Training and is being newly stationed at the precinct, and that Big Mouth Kam has newly been stationed there as well, and that Ka Kui already knew Uncle Bill and Big Mouth previously. Plus, I love the establishing shots of Hong Kong and Jackie’s theme song during the opening credits. And, yes, the complete ending alters the feeling of the film for the better. The entire film is a much richer viewing experience in its extended form.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, starschwar said:

I got my wires crossed!  Thanks for the clarification.

Also,

Spoiler

I don’t think Ka Kui is booked at the end. Uncle Bill taps him on the shoulder, as if to say “Let’s go”, but Ka Kui isn’t shown being put into a patrol car before the scene ends. Which would make sense, as at the end of the previous scene, after Ka Kui beats the shit out of Chu-Tu and his lawyer, Raymond says he saw nothing, and Uncle Bill smiles.

3 hours ago, Omni Dragon said:
  Hide contents

But it looks to me like Chan's got handcuffs on? As he walks out of the department store. It's hard to tell because we mostly see Chan in close-up from above the waist, but still, on the early wide-shot, his hands look unnaturally close to me. Granted it's hard to be certain since he and the potential handcuffs don't take up much of the picture (many pixels on the digitalized versions) on the wide shot: 

1292893601_potentialhandcuffs.thumb.png.1c98c3de547a29ea38a3da383c8842af.png

942318454_potentialhandcuffs2.png.63af465c4f21fb45bc30461287ec60b0.png

Ya know, I think you might be right. I didn’t notice that at first.

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 2

Omni Dragon
2 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

Reading your posts and those of @starschwar, I feel like I need to rewatch the opening of the Japanese (JP) version. I do like the JP ending, in fact, I've watched the HK version followed by the JP ending a few times. However, I've had mixed feelings about the opening. Probably because I'm used to the pace of the HK, that feels like it's more straight into the action. I think the thing I liked the most last time I watched the JP opening was the establishing shots of Hong Kong. I feel like that may have been intended for a non-Hong Kong audience? Because it kind of reminded me of establishing shots in The Protector, which in that movie I assume were to show Hong Kong as an exotic location. I have to admit personally, I felt the HK already had too many pies or in this case cakes in the face jokes, so I was put off by seeing even more. Next time I'll try and watch it with character introductions in mind.

Maybe next time I watch Police Story, I'll try it with the Japanese opening followed by the Hong Kong version followed by the Japanese ending.

• Like 4

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
5 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

Whoa. Amazon let a giant cat out of the bag…

Now that we know it’s coming, I reiterate my desire for a Brandon Bentley rescue of the extended Japanese cut of PS1, and will add to the vote for a BB rescue of the HK cut of PS2. With all the spare time he has on his hands, of course. 😁

I would happily donate funds to make this happen.

I love your enthusiasm and support for these releases. Awesome! Sadly though, with @Irongod2112 saying this...

5 hours ago, Irongod2112 said:

I'm actually looking at the test disc as I write this...

... I would think that it's already far too late for anything to still be added to a release.

As for Fortune Star allowing or not allowing certain cuts... these rights things can be extremely complicated, and I've been stunned that things like alternate versions and most especially the various hybrid cuts were even allowed. Stunned, but most pleased. :nerd:

2 hours ago, Omni Dragon said:

Reading your posts and those of @starschwar, I feel like I need to rewatch the opening of the Japanese (JP) version. I do like the JP ending, in fact, I've watched the HK version followed by the JP ending a few times. However, I've had mixed feelings about the opening. Probably because I'm used to the pace of the HK, that feels like it's more straight into the action. I think the thing I liked the most last time I watched the JP opening was the establishing shots of Hong Kong. I feel like that may have been intended for a non-Hong Kong audience? Because it kind of reminded me of establishing shots in The Protector, which in that movie I assume were to show Hong Kong as an exotic location. I have to admit personally, I felt the HK already had too many pies or in this case cakes in the face jokes, so I was put off by seeing even more. Next time I'll try and watch it with character introductions in mind.

Maybe next time I watch Police Story, I'll try it with the Japanese opening followed by the Hong Kong version followed by the Japanese ending.

I enjoy both versions you're talking about, and choose which one to watch based on my mood at the time. In fact, last time I watched POLICE STORY I watched the English dubbed POLICE FORCE version (included on Eureka's Blu-ray release), as that's how I first saw the film (on VHS) and I was feeling nostalgic for it. So it's extremely cool to have all the versions of our favorite films.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I still see Hong Kong Rescue Still has the definitive version of Police Story The Japanese Extended version. So it looks like I will be keeping the fan Edit version afterall.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

thundered mantis

Great news, I'll be triple dipping for those. Do we have any info on video quality? PS 2 had its issues. I hope an improvement on that department... 

1 hour ago, Graysman said:

I still see Hong Kong Rescue Still has the definitive version of Police Story The Japanese Extended version. So it looks like I will be keeping the fan Edit version afterall.

That’s my go-to version for the first film. Hopefully this new Eureka release will at least do full justice to the second and third film at last.

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Killer Meteor

I hope the colour issues can be resolved. I have no idea how strict FS or Ritrovata is on enforcing those. The Criterion Bruce Lees suggest there is some relaxation on that front.

I'm usually not into multi-dipping but an HD presentation of the Hong Kong cut of Police Story 2 as well as a 4K UHD presentation of original HK cut of Police Story 3... That's a sole reason I'm getting this boxset! 

Edited by DiP
  • Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Pre-ordered the 4k set and sweet it has Kung Fu Bob artwork. This makes up half of the value of the set. 😂

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1