The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

34 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Love all these Eureka releases but really looking forward to some mid 70's GH now, Hapkido, Lady Whirlwind,Shaolin Plot etc

I think we'll see those titles soon. They're available on DVD remastered, so I assume HD copies were also made.

• Like 3

Was Broken Oath more or less confirmed? I was sure had legendary collection dvd and wanted to watch it today again after some years but can`t find it...Perhaps imo best Angela Mao flick..

• Like 3

19 hours ago, FightingFool said:

Was Broken Oath more or less confirmed? I was sure had legendary collection dvd and wanted to watch it today again after some years but can`t find it...Perhaps imo best Angela Mao flick..

I'm pretty sure Broken Oath hasn't been restored yet. Definitely a favorite of mine so I will hopefully get one of the labels to pick it up and give this one a proper release. :)

• Like 12

I got both Warriors Two/ Prodigal Son last Tuesday.  It was worth the price and the upgrade!  I can't wait to see more since 2022 is the year of Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao!

Sifu!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prodigal Son was the movie that got me into Wing Chun, although i enjoy Donnie Yen in Ip man. This movie made a fan of Wing Chun and getting into it as a Teen in high school.  

imageedit_2_8663041103.jpg

Edited by ZenkaigerBat
Wanted to add more!
  • Like 5

Still waiting for my Eureka preorder to show up here in Seattle 😢

But if they release Touch And Go, Undeclared War, Burning Paradise, Paper Marriage and Where’s Officer Tuba? this year I’ll forgive them 😁

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, WaverBoy said:

Still waiting for my Eureka preorder to show up here in Seattle 😢

But if they release Touch And Go, Undeclared War, Burning Paradise, Paper Marriage and Where’s Officer Tuba? this year I’ll forgive them 😁

Your wallet will always forgive them no matter what.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I wonder who or what label that holds the right to The Victim. It was distributed by a company called Graffon Film and it seems like The Victim was the only film they did... I wonder what the story is behind that label. Why wasn't it released on Golden Harvest? A transition between contracts that forced him to go independent? 

The only known print is in Dan Halsteds possession, that he bought from Toby Russell or Rick Baker.. Don't remember now but he mentions it the Pure Cinema Podcast...

Edited by Django
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, Django said:

I wonder who or what label that holds the right to The Victim. It was distributed by a company called Graffon Film and it seems like The Victim was the only film they did... I wonder what the story is behind that label. Why wasn't it released on Golden Harvest? A transition between contracts that forced him to go independent? 

The only known print is in Dan Halsteds possession, that he bought from Toby Russell or Rick Baker.. Don't remember now but he mentions it the Pure Cinema Podcast...

I have always worked under a theory that it was shot well before it was released, possibly because Wong Fung (I think) was credited as executive director.

• Like 4

THE VICTIM is #1 on my classic kung fu want list. It’s just gotta happen somehow. Can Eureka make it happen? What a score that would be for them. It would fly off the shelves.

• Like 8

It's up there on my list as well, but if it happens I believe it would be on a smaller label, like VCI's Pearl River or something like that.. (Which unfortunately has been abruptly abscent lately BTW) if a print became available I don't believe that it would live up to Eureka!, 88 or Arrows standards and probably be beyond a possible restoration.

Personally I wouldn't mind splices, spots, dirt or whatever as long as it is a proper transfer and widescreen.

Was The Victim ever released in Germany? Maybe a EASTERN GRINDHOUSE DOUBLE FEATURE Blu-Ray future possibility?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Django said:

It's up there on my list as well, but if it happens I believe it would be on a smaller label, like VCI's Pearl River or something like that.. (Which unfortunately has been abruptly abscent lately BTW) if a print became available I don't believe that it would live up to Eureka!, 88 or Arrows standards and probably be beyond a possible restoration.

Personally I wouldn't mind splices, spots, dirt or whatever as long as it is a proper transfer and widescreen.

Was The Victim ever released in Germany? Maybe a EASTERN GRINDHOUSE DOUBLE FEATURE Blu-Ray future possibility?

There is a german dvd out there under the name "Der tödliche Schlag des Fu Ming". Sadly the quality is really bad...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Asmo said:

I have always worked under a theory that it was shot well before it was released, possibly because Wong Fung (I think) was credited as executive director.

Bobby Samuels claimed that it was Sammo's first film as director. Gigi Wong was the executive director whereas Wong Fung was the producer.

The Victim is probably the most intriguing film that Sammo had worked on in the seventies, which makes it all the more frustrating that he never got interviewed about the movie much...if at all. Someone could have at least interviewed Karl Maka about it.

It's a shame that there's never been an actual Chinese print i.e. as opposed to a Cantonese audio track attached to the English language print.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, McQuade said:

There is a german dvd out there under the name "Der tödliche Schlag des Fu Ming". Sadly the quality is really bad...

Indeed, but I think it uses the same print as the Eastern Heroes releases. It (the German DVD) has been made anamorphic though.

5 minutes ago, Cognoscente said:

Bobby Samuels claimed that it was Sammo's first film as director. Gigi Wong was the executive director whereas Wong Fung was the producer.

The Victim is probably the most intriguing film that Sammo had worked on in the seventies, which makes it all the more frustrating that he never got interviewed about the movie much...if at all. Someone could have at least interviewed Karl Maka about it.

It's a shame that there's never been an actual Chinese print i.e. as opposed to a Cantonese audio track attached to the English language print.

Ahh. Thanks for the clarification. Could the LD or VCD not have a Chinese print? Admittedly I've never seen them.
If Bobby is right then it would lend credence to it being filmed prior to 1979 and then shelved (for whatever reason).
The interview on the Eastern Hereos doesn't even cover the film.

• Like 3

The Ocean Shores VCD had digital Chinese subtitles like a DVD would, but it wasn't like watching an old print where we simultaneously see burnt-in Mandarin and English subtitles.

• Like 3

Where are the elements? Can we do a Kickstarter to fund an expedition in search of THE VICTIM, both for elements and production information? I’d love to know more…and this film needs so badly to be rescued from the ravages of time and neglect…

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

The Ocean Shores VCD had digital Chinese subtitles like a DVD would, but it wasn't like watching an old print where we simultaneously see burnt-in Mandarin and English subtitles.

Ahh. Thank you. I wonder if it was the same for the laserdisc. The mystery deepens.

18 minutes ago, WaverBoy said:

Where are the elements? Can we do a Kickstarter to fund an expedition in search of THE VICTIM, both for elements and production information? I’d love to know more…and this film needs so badly to be rescued from the ravages of time and neglect…

I'd be down for such a thing. I do wonder where the elements would have wound up.

• Like 6

On 2/4/2022 at 1:20 AM, WaverBoy said:

David Rees provided some info in the below forum: "I know Toby Russell had a 35mm print of the film, but if the negative is still around in an archive somewhere in Hong Kong is anyone's guess. We can but hope."

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=18596850#post18596850

What Dave said about other movies hints at the sad reality: "I think HK Legends stated that the negative were in such a sh!tty state for a lot of the titles that they had to crop Legend of a Fighter because the damage was not repairable. HK companies, especially smaller independent ones never looked after there stuff at all."

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=18318064#post18318064

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1

21 minutes ago, Cognoscente said:

David Rees provided some info in the below forum: "I know Toby Russell had a 35mm print of the film, but if the negative is still around in an archive somewhere in Hong Kong is anyone's guess. We can but hope.

That's the one Dan now has, and has screened at the Hollywood Theatre.. 

"Some other of my favorite prints are THE MYSTERY OF CHESS BOXING, SEVEN GRANDMASTERS, THE MAN FROM HONG KONG and THE VICTIM. The last one mainly because the print was in such terrible shape when I found it. I spent days repairing it, and I didn’t think it would ever be playable for an audience. I warned the crowd before I first showed it, and they didn’t care at all, it added to the experience. The movie brought the house down."

• Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 1