The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Ok, I knuckled under and ordered PTU sight unseen, due to the recommendations here. I also threw in the HAND OF DEATH/LAST HURRAH FOR CHIVALRY two-pack, haven’t seen either of those two Woo-Fu films yet, despite having had CHIVALRY on DVD for years. I know, how pathetic is that? Oh well, I’m about to make HD amends for my sins! Super stoked! Thanks Eureka!

• Like 7

14 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

Ok, I knuckled under and ordered PTU sight unseen, due to the recommendations here. I also threw in the HAND OF DEATH/LAST HURRAH FOR CHIVALRY two-pack, haven’t seen either of those two Woo-Fu films yet, despite having had CHIVALRY on DVD for years. I know, how pathetic is that? Oh well, I’m about to make HD amends for my sins! Super stoked! Thanks Eureka!

Johnnie To movies, are definitely in a category of there own, I've heard you either like his style or don't. I personally love it, but can see it both ways..
I thought PTU was really good, but not great. Some of my favorites are, Exiled, Election 1,2, Breaking News, The Mission, and Longest nite. An that's just the tip of the iceberg.. he's got a ton of really good movies beyond that.

Hope you like PTU and maybe some of the titles I mentioned will give you some good contrast! :cool

Edited by BigDruDogg
  • Like 5

37 minutes ago, BigDruDogg said:

Johnnie To movies, are definitely in a category of there own, I've heard you either like his style or don't. I personally love it, but can see it both ways..
I thought PTU was really good, but not great. Some of my favorites are, Exiled, Election 1,2, Breaking News, The Mission, and Longest nite. An that's just the tip of the iceberg.. he's got a ton of really good movies beyond that.

Hope you like PTU and maybe some of the titles I mentioned will give you some good contrast! :cool

How is David Chiang's character in Election ? Good, bad, long role, short role, interesting role ? Does he play in the two movies or only the first one ?

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane
2 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

How is David Chiang's character in Election ? Good, bad, long role, short role, interesting role ? Does he play in the two movies or only the first one ?

Small role as a cop. Only in the first one.

• Like 4

• Administrator
15 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

1 hour ago, BigDruDogg said:

@WaverBoy, I don't think you'll regret your decision.

I feel the same way about PTU as @BigDruDogg, and it's one of of the only Hong Kong films released by Eureka on Blu-ray that I didn't purchase. I already own both the Hong Kong and Dragon Dynasty DVDs of the film, and I'm fine with those. It's not something I watch a lot, or a particularly visually exciting film that I feel the need to get in the highest quality. Though the extras did make it tempting...

Since I'm guilty of doing the same with some films (including HAND), I'll say: why, I don't think that's pathetic at all. :itwasntme

For me, HAND OF DEATH was just okay. However, in its defense, I saw it via a full-screen VHS right after watching a bunch of classic Jackie Chan films for the first time. So after SNAKE IN THE EAGLE'S SHADOW, POLICE STORY, DRUNKEN MASTER, etc., HAND paled in comparison. I've also never been the biggest fan of the film's star, Dorian Tan. Yet, when it came out on DVD I bought it (for the sake of the collection)... where it sat unwatched on the shelf for decades. :tongueout But I am a fan of LAST HURRAH FOR CHIVALRY (a very cool movie), so I bought Eureka's set. I haven't re-watched either yet, but I'm definitely going to.

36 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I haven't seen ELECTION in so long that I didn't even remember that David Chiang is in it! :smirking

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Omni Dragon said:

I think Dimension Films/Lantern Entertainment, though it could be some other company.

I highly doubt it, sadly.

its on Fortune Star's catalog so wouldn't Fortune Star hold some rights to it

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

I guess I’ll be the first to say I didn’t like PTU. I found it to be rather boring and mundane. I’m sure that’s meant to be the point and I’m just missing something but I’m not willing to give it another go anytime soon.

With that said, I’m definitely willing to give Johnnie To another chance. Despite turning off Throwdown not even halfway through, I absolutely loved Drug War. I hope be had more movies like that in his filmography.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, actionfan93 said:

As far as I know the last time Police Story III got an official release in the UK it was the Dimension version. I would assume Dimension still own rights when it comes to releasing Police Story III on home video in the UK (Eureka and 88 are UK based).

Edited by Omni Dragon
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I guess I’ll be the first to say I didn’t like PTU. I found it to be rather boring and mundane. I’m sure that’s meant to be the point and I’m just missing something but I’m not willing to give it another go anytime soon.

With that said, I’m definitely willing to give Johnnie To another chance. Despite turning off Throwdown not even halfway through, I absolutely loved Drug War. I hope be had more movies like that in his filmography.

Aw man, I saw the trailer for THROW DOWN and thought it looked like a tasty stylish neo-noir crime thriller with some great fight sequences. Still considering whether to get the Eureka release or the Criterion release. Eureka has two audio commentaries that the Criterion doesn’t have, but the Criterion has the original trailer and some newly produced featurettes that the Eureka doesn’t have. Decisions decisions…

Any more thoughts here on PTU or THROW DOWN?

• Like 3

I always felt like PTU, Throwdown, Running on karma, Sparrow and a few others were the side of Johnnie To that I didn’t think would translate to the west very well, and was surprised when PTU was always his flagship US film…

the films I mentioned a couple posts up were a more gritty triad action based films similar to drug war..

I personally liked Throwdown, but will be the first to admit it’s an acquired taste.. me being a huge Akira Kurosawa fan played a big part because it’s loosely based off of one of his earlier movies “Sanshiro Sugata”

Lastly, David Chiang‘s role in Election as others have said was pretty much a cameo..similar to his role in Chow Yun-Fat’s Tiger on Beat as a police chief

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Looks like these movies are more for you: The Big Heat, Loving You, A Hero Never Dies, Running Out of Time, The Mission, Fulltime Killer, Breaking News, Exiled, Vengeance, and Three.

• Like 6

Watching THROW DOWN on the Criterion channel right now. Gorgeous, neon-lit, slowly paced, kinda avant-garde. I’m about halfway through. Pretty good but I wish the characters were more likable and/or interesting.

Anyone know what the chances might be of Eureka putting out SAVIOUR OF THE SOUL, SAVIOUR OF THE SOUL 2, or GOD OF GAMBLERS?

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
3 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

PTU is a good one, and took To a whole year to make. The story is more there to frame a portrait of an almost other worldly Hong Kong by night, the streets eerily stripped of the bustling crowds, and lensed in such a way that it almost feels like a noir. It feels like a very still movie, but actually a lot happens, as various parties with their own reasons attempt to track down an anti-crime detectives (Lam Suet) missing gun, who doesn't want to report it for fear it'll affect a potential promotion. It actually has very little dialogue, and tends to focus on how the minutiae can have a broader reaching impact. If you tune into its wavelength, PTU is an enthralling experience, where the night time Hong Kong is just as much of a character as any of the human ones.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Omni Dragon said:

As far as I know the last time Police Story III got an official release in the UK it was the Dimension version. I would assume Dimension still own rights when it comes to releasing Police Story III on home video in the UK (Eureka and 88 are UK based).

I'm guessing that was on VHS? I could be wrong but I don't think Police Story 3 ever got a DVD release in the UK?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Drunksnake said:

I'm guessing that was on VHS? I could be wrong but I don't think Police Story 3 ever got a DVD release in the UK?

I think I'm wrong. Looking into things further it looks like the last official home video release of Police Story III in the UK was on VHS around 1994. A few years before the Dimension version. From memory that VHS is mostly uncut, in 1.33 (apart from the credits) and with an English dub by Cine Media.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Omni Dragon said:

I think I'm wrong. Looking into things further it looks like the last official home video release of Police Story III in the UK was on VHS around 1994. A few years before the Dimension version. From memory that VHS is mostly uncut, in 1.33 (apart from the credits) and with an English dub by Cine Media.

hmm maybe that bodes well for 88 or Eureka to get it then

In other news Warner Archive Collection said on Facebook they do not have the domestic rights to Who Am I so the question is who owns the rights Sony or another rights holder and does this bode well for 88 or Eureka to be able to secure the rights to it and Police Story 3 I hope so

Warner also confirmed they do not hold the rights to Police Story 3 so I assume that means the remaining films are first strike,Rumble in the Bronx and maybe twin dragons left to release for them as not sure if they maybe hold thunderbolt or not 

Edited by actionfan93
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Omni Dragon said:

Supercop [DVD] https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000056N5T/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_C6SG4C34143ZC14WT9C2

There was indeed a dvd of police story 3 released as supercop by MIA in the UK as this is the obe I have. Haven't watched it in ages but remember it being on par with the rest of MIAs output. The release was more geared towards Michelle Yeoh with her on the front cover.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Red Lion said:

Supercop [DVD] https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000056N5T/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_C6SG4C34143ZC14WT9C2

There was indeed a dvd of police story 3 released as supercop by MIA in the UK as this is the obe I have. Haven't watched it in ages but remember it being on par with the rest of MIAs output. The release was more geared towards Michelle Yeoh with her on the front cover.

Just looked closer at this on Amazon and it looks like they have wrongly stated this is the spin off project S but Im certain this is police story 3. Im sure i watched it way back when i got it and iv never seen project s.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Red Lion said:

Just looked closer at this on Amazon and it looks like they have wrongly stated this is the spin off project S but Im certain this is police story 3. Im sure i watched it way back when i got it and iv never seen project s.

I am so sorry. Have just popped that dvd in the player and have seen this actually isnt police story 3 after all. Now im gutted cos thats what i thought this was and will now need to hunt for police story 3 now as well. Sorry for the misinformation. Could have sworn i had watched this. 

• Like 3

Yeah,that's Project S, where the Yeoh character from P3 goes solo,though there is a JC cameo. German DVD is the best release of that one.

• Like 5

On 1/6/2022 at 3:08 AM, WaverBoy said:

PTU - what @TibetanWhiteCrane said.

Throw Down - found it to be a far better movie than I remembered when I revisited it, this time on the big screen. I got the Eureka release and I'll gladly watch it for the third time sometime in the near future. 

• Like 5

On 1/5/2022 at 6:13 PM, actionfan93 said:

You are correct, Fortune Star does hold the rights. :)

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

3 hours ago, Irongod2112 said:

You are correct, Fortune Star does hold the rights. :)

so we could be seeing it as future release? it seems Who Am I is in rights purgatory Sony either still holds it or another rights holder so I don't have much hope as of now we will see it get the release it deserves

• Like 3