The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Is there any hope for a remaster of AGAINST THE DRUNKEN CAT PAWS (1979)? I just found out about this one, looked up the crappy cropped copy on YouTube and it looks like a really fun flick!

• Like 4

Just watched The 7 Grandmasters for the first time. This is a stone cold classic, right up there with the best of ‘77-‘78 as far as I’m concerned, and the talents of a young Corey Yuen doing the fight choreography really add immeasurably. What a great movie. And then I went back and watched it again with Frank and Michael’s excellent commentary, such a treasure trove of information and the guys have great chemistry, making for a very entertaining and informative listen. I’m now two films into the Joe Kuo set — 18 Bronzemen HK cut is the other — and those two alone are worth the price of admission.

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 10

4 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

Just watched The 7 Grandmasters for the first time. This is a stone cold classic, right up there with the best of ‘77-‘78 as far as I’m concerned, and the talents of a young Corey Yuen doing the fight choreography really add immeasurably. What a great movie. I’m now two films into the Joe Kuo set — 18 Bronzemen HK cut is the other — and those two alone are worth the price of admission.

Keep the short reviews coming so i get some more motivation to put them in the player. Vengeance pack will be first time watches for me as a whole i think and i have other movies on my list to watch for the first time. But i dont have enough free time damn...

Im looking forward to the end of the year.

• Like 6

If not a Joseph Kuo's boxset for volume 2, I would like to see :

The Ming patriots 

The one-armed swordswoman 

The Blooded treasury fight

Seven to one

The Queen boxer

Kung fu Mama

Beauty heroine (I know that someone has it in Italy)

Heroes Behind the enemy lines

and a lot of other ones, all in Mandarin with English subtitles and uncut, of course.

• Like 10

I’m hoping that suitable elements for a proper restoration of MASTER OF THE FLYING GUILLOTINE can be found, somehow somewhere, as it would be the perfect Eureka followup release to ONE-ARMED BOXER…there’s just gotta be a way…

image.gif.85a79ea84f4cb5c90586e625e160375f.gif

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 10
  • Buddha Bless You 1

sifu iron perm
On 11/28/2021 at 5:02 PM, WaverBoy said:

I’m hoping that suitable elements for a proper restoration of MASTER OF THE FLYING GUILLOTINE can be found, somehow somewhere, as it would be the perfect Eureka followup release to ONE-ARMED BOXER…there’s just gotta be a way…

I Pray, We pray this will happen someday!

• Like 7

I’m definitely ready for that preorder. Then hopefully Knockabout and Dreadnaught are next! That would make a perfect double-feature. With the most generous help of Eureka, 88 Films, their associate expert fan crew, and the of course the restorationists at Fortune Star, I’m slowly but surely retiring my old Megastar, Deltamac, Universe, Image, Ground Zero, and Crash Cinema DVD specials. It’s a long hard expensive road, but definitely all worth it in the end.

• Like 13

On 11/29/2021 at 8:43 AM, SuperTiaanBro said:

Cinematic Vengeance came in yesterday and it's awesome. Going to be ordering from Eureka now!

Mine came in yesterday too. Loving it so far! A lot of hard work went into it, and it's great to experience in its finished form.

• Like 5

• Administrator
On 11/18/2021 at 9:56 AM, Drunken Monk said:

Pre-ordered. The addition of Mark Houghton's I Am the White Tiger is nice.

I've had the DVD of I AM THE WHITE TIGER in my eBay watchlist for a long time, but kept putting off the purchase. Glad I waited. :bigsmile: I pre-ordered SKINNY TIGER, FATTY DRAGON the day it was listed.

On 11/18/2021 at 5:16 PM, AslanBey said:

Will be a first time watch for me just like the other coming sammo flicks. Im really happy about it.

Its interesting: Sammo was always a known character to me but i realised that i dont know  his movies without Jackie. Maybe a favour of the universe so that i can enjoy "new" hongkongmovies in times where no new movies are produced. Considering this I feel lucky.

You are lucky! Long-time fans and I often wish we could re-see these classics again for the first time. There are lots of amazing Sammo movies for you to still see! Right now my son is seeing a lot of these films for the first time, and it's awesome getting to share them with him. It took him until his mid-twenties before he really became interested in watching Hong Kong cinema (it's true- my vast collection held very little interest for him for decades!), but now he's really digging them. And what a time to do so with all these phenomenal Blu-ray releases. He's getting to see them like we always dreamed about seeing them back in the day.

@AslanBey you've got to see:

PEDICAB DRIVER

MILLIONAIRE'S EXPRESS

WARRIORS TWO

THE PRODIGAL SON

MAGNIFICENT BUTCHER

SLICKERS VS KILLERS

IRON-FISTED MONK

THE VICTIM

PANTYHOSE HEROES

EASTERN CONDORS

ENCOUNTER OF THE SPOOKY KIND (and its sequel)

KNOCKABOUT

SPL (aka. KILLZONE)

PAPER MARRIAGE

DIRTY TIGER, CRAZY FROG,

ODD COUPLE

ENTER THE FAT DRAGON (1978)

So many incredible films and hours of jaw-dropping Sammo Hung action ahead of you!

On 11/19/2021 at 2:47 PM, Super Ninja said:

Will have to wait with the order as I have to cough up for the Shaw set first, but that's a definitive buy!

Slick move to include Mark's doc, been wondering when's that coming out.

Another announcement, another great release. Thanks Eureka and keep 'em coming, I'll get a second job if I have to.

I agree. I didn't expect that to be included, but I'm glad it is.

On 11/19/2021 at 5:54 PM, AslanBey said:

Yes I purchased it a while ago but hadnt the chance to play them yet. I hope towards the end of the year I'll have more freetime to work off some of the many movies I purchased this year. 

You and me both! So many things just waiting for me to dive into... The pile of unopened goodies includes the Joseph Kuo CINEMATIC VENGEANCE! box, the GAMERA COLLECTION, SOLID METAL NIGHTMARES: THE FILMS OF SHINYA TSUKAMOTO, WILD SEARCH, HAND OF DEATH/LAST HURRAH FOR CHIVALRY, and a whole bunch of 88 Film's releases, and so much more. I just haven't had a chance to check them out yet.

On 11/25/2021 at 7:32 PM, sifu iron perm said:

I fuully concur 100 per cent! The restoration transfers are crisp and bright, brings a whole new dimension to the viewing experience. The canto Mono just breathes new life into these classics..Man, from those vhs tapes i bought from Eastern Heroes and watching a few in my childhood (early 80's) such as 7 grandmasters, bronzemen and world of drunken master were 4:3 ratio but were legendary times...

Oh man, exciting! I know what it's like to love a film for years via a shoddy presentation (HEROES OF THE EAST is a perfect example), then suddenly get to see it in its proper aspect ratio with a clear picture, original language and subs. It can be a revelation! 7 GRANDMASTERS had a nice DVD release from Media Blasters, but most of the other films on this Kuo set haven't. I think I'm most looking forward to @OldPangYau's restored version of 18 BRONZEMEN. This will probably be a shocker, but I've never seen it before. I've had the film (and its sequel) in my collection for decades, but never watched it. I'd heard it was horribly edited, and I've never been a fan of Carter Wong (BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA is an exception), so I never bothered. Turns out I'll be seeing it for the first time in the best version possible thanks to Eureka and our very own forum brother, so I guess I have great timing. :wink:

On 11/27/2021 at 8:27 AM, kuenfist said:

I can't wait to see this at home. After so many years on VHS and DVD now in HD.

This and THE PRODIGAL SON are among the films I most wanted to get the royal treatment as Blu-rays, so I'm ecstatic about this release. It was another day one pre-order for me. Hopefully I'll have the time to do a double-bill watch of both of them with my son. I can hardly wait! :nerd:

On 11/27/2021 at 2:34 PM, WaverBoy said:

Is there any hope for a remaster of AGAINST THE DRUNKEN CAT PAWS (1979)? I just found out about this one, looked up the crappy cropped copy on YouTube and it looks like a really fun flick!

Who knows? But it would be nice if there was. :bigsmile: I've mentioned this before, but a friend of mine named June introduced my friend Erik and I to a store in Philly called Video Boutique. From the outside it looked like any other rental store of the era, but inside was the most extensive collection of kung fu (and Blaxploitation) films that I'd ever seen. The owner, Don, was a huge fan and extremely knowledgeable about the genre. It was because of him that I got to see many classics for the first time, like DREADNAUGHT (long before Tai Seng released it), THUNDERING MANTIS, THE VICTIM, BROKEN OATH, and countless others. Once he got a look at my collection we started trading VHS copies- bagfuls at a time. He recommended terrific titles, and  DRUNKEN CAT PAWS (1979, Taiwan, aka. Against Drunken Cat Paws / 13 Evil Bandits / Revenge of The Lady Warrior / No-One Can Touch Her- I love the multitude of titles for this one) was one of them. I haven't watched it in a long time, but I remember it having a lot of colorful characters and exciting fight scenes. It would be sweet to revisit this title in style.

On 11/27/2021 at 11:19 PM, WaverBoy said:

Just watched The 7 Grandmasters for the first time. This is a stone cold classic, right up there with the best of ‘77-‘78 as far as I’m concerned, and the talents of a young Corey Yuen doing the fight choreography really add immeasurably. What a great movie. And then I went back and watched it again with Frank and Michael’s excellent commentary, such a treasure trove of information and the guys have great chemistry, making for a very entertaining and informative listen. I’m now two films into the Joe Kuo set — 18 Bronzemen HK cut is the other — and those two alone are worth the price of admission.

I enjoy reading things like this- hearing people's thoughts as they experience these films. Our mutual appreciation for these movies has brought us together here. I'm so thankful for this forum and @SMK working so hard to keep it running smoothly.

On 11/28/2021 at 12:02 PM, WaverBoy said:

Ditto. It's one of the most enjoyable kung fu classics ever made. It's in my top ten most wanted restored Blu-ray titles list.

On 11/30/2021 at 11:52 AM, WaverBoy said:

I’m definitely ready for that preorder. Then hopefully Knockabout and Dreadnaught are next! That would make a perfect double-feature. With the most generous help of Eureka, 88 Films, their associate expert fan crew, and the of course the restorationists at Fortune Star, I’m slowly but surely retiring my old Megastar, Deltamac, Universe, Image, Ground Zero, and Crash Cinema DVD specials. It’s a long hard expensive road, but definitely all worth it in the end.

Yeah, I'm all about those two titles getting "the treatment" too.

@WaverBoy (and everyone else reading this) please be very careful about getting rid of your older versions. I doubt it will happen as much these days as the releases of late have been so inclusive. But long ago I would get rid of titles as I upgraded, and a few times I realized too late that I got rid of something that had elements missing from the newer version. I've long lived with that regret :worried and suggest you proceed with extreme caution. My friend recently bought the Dragon Dynasty Blu-ray of KILLZONE and sold his 2 disc DVD edition, forgetting that I'd warned him that the best special features (some of my favorite ever included on a Hong Kong film release) were not included on the Blu-ray.

• Like 8
  • Buddha Bless You 2

12 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

You are lucky! Long-time fans and I often wish we could re-see these classics again for the first time. There are lots of amazing Sammo movies for you to still see! Right now my son is seeing a lot of these films for the first time, and it's awesome getting to share them with him. It took him until his mid-twenties before he really became interested in watching Hong Kong cinema (it's true- my vast collection held very little interest for him for decades!), but now he's really digging them. And what a time to do so with all these phenomenal Blu-ray releases. He's getting to see them like we always dreamed about seeing them back in the day.

@AslanBey you've got to see:

PEDICAB DRIVER

MILLIONAIRE'S EXPRESS

WARRIORS TWO

THE PRODIGAL SON

MAGNIFICENT BUTCHER

SLICKERS VS KILLERS

IRON-FISTED MONK

THE VICTIM

PANTYHOSE HEROES

EASTERN CONDORS

ENCOUNTER OF THE SPOOKY KIND (and its sequel)

KNOCKABOUT

SPL (aka. KILLZONE)

PAPER MARRIAGE

DIRTY TIGER, CRAZY FROG,

ODD COUPLE

ENTER THE FAT DRAGON (1978)

So many incredible films and hours of jaw-dropping Sammo Hung action ahead of you

Thanks for the list and recommendation. I always pay attention to what real fans think about certain movies i dont know. Because their opinion is way more reliable than "company opinions". (Ok i have to admit that "spooky encounters" didnt blow me away until the showdown although everyone rated it very high. But i think that it was an exceptional case.)

Thanks to Eureka i have already some of them and i'm looking forward to put them on. I hope the other ones also come with nice releases, but peu a peu so my wallet can take some breaths.

The only "pity" for me is the language. Im not a native english speaker and my english got worse and worse since i dont use it regularly. And like most of you i dont like the english dubs neither, but i HATE watching movies with subtitles; I am just not able to do it, it is a challenge for me which i cant win.

Nevertheless my heroes are precious in every language (as long as there is fighting and music :D )

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, nahnahnah said:

EKA70453-OddCouple-OCard_website-pack-50

Hell yeah! Cannot wait for, in my opinion, THE best traditional weapons film there is! The intricate choreography, long takes, timing and execution is flawless in this movie! Sammo vs Lau Kar Wing is always a good fight. Really like the cover too.

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, WaverBoy said:

Ok you wonderful Eureka people, now what we REALLY need is a super-deluxe release of…

Give it up, Warners now!

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, sifu iron perm said:

Does odd couple include the Original first English dubbing? Please!!!! 

I'm pretty sure there isn't one. I couldn't find any information on an older (Classic) English dub for this film. Mei Ah certainly didn't have one. If one does exist please point the way and I will do my best to get it included. :)

Edited by Irongod2112
  • Like 7
  • Confused 1
  • Buddha Bless You 2

sifu iron perm
1 hour ago, Irongod2112 said:

I'm pretty sure there isn't one. I couldn't find any information on an older (Classic) English dub for this film. Mei Ah certainly didn't have one. If one does exist please point the way and I will do my best to get it included. :)

Will do my man!

• Like 3

While I'm glad that Eureka are releasing more HK titles, I'm hoping that they step outside of the Sammo realm a bit and release some other titles from Hong Kong. I would love to see a release for the Aces Go Places series or even a Hui Brothers boxset that contains classics such as 'The Private Eyes', 'The Contact', and 'Security Unlimited'.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nahnahnah said:

While I'm glad that Eureka are releasing more HK titles, I'm hoping that they step outside of the Sammo realm a bit and release some other titles from Hong Kong. I would love to see a release for the Aces Go Places series or even a Hui Brothers boxset that contains classics such as 'The Private Eyes', 'The Contact', and 'Security Unlimited'.

Those would be nice but I’m perfectly fine with waiting for them until all of the gettable Sammo classics are released. His stuff has been neglected for waaaaaaaaaaaay too long. Couldn’t be happier with Eureka’s release slate as of late; they’ve even given us a couple of Ringo Lam classics (still need to order Full Alert, dammit!).

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 8
  • Buddha Bless You 1