The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

2 hours ago, H A S S A N said:

258713721_5193468667334246_1740920875242

When it rains it pours, got all 3 of these delivered today 😍
Eureka Entertainments ‘Cinematic Vengeance’ Box Set along with the great Ringo Lam’s furiously ballistic ‘Full Alert’ and Criterion Collections ‘Once Upon A Time In China’ Box Set. Here’s hoping next year we’re going to be getting all 80’s and 90’s HK action goodness. Not a very big fan of 70’s Kung Fu flicks or Shaw Bros but I’m going to support these releases and boutique labels so we can get more HK releases in the future.

nice. I got my vengeance set today, too.

Does the OUATIC set really not have english dub?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ZenkaigerBat said:

Pre-ordered, my wallet took a major beating from Sammo.

Yeah my wallet is also crying for a couple of months and it doesnt stop :D

Where did you preorder it?

And who is Mark Houghton, whose documentary shall be in the bonus disc?

And i dont know this movie neither, how is it in general? Im surely going to preorder it but i would like to know how it looks in case of fighting?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, AslanBey said:

Mark Houghton was a Hung Gar student of Lau Kar Leung and, if I'm right, is seen as one of the most prominent Hung Gar practitioners in the world.

He also had a nice little career in Hong Kong cinema. He had a fight with Sammo in Skinny Tiger, Fatty Dragon but I believe that it was either cut or shortened. It'll be featured as a bonus feature on this release.

His documentary is enjoyable. 

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, AslanBey said:

Yeah my wallet is also crying for a couple of months and it doesnt stop :D

Where did you preorder it?

And i dont know this movie neither, how is it in general? Im surely going to preorder it but i would like to know how it looks in case of fighting?

I pre-ordered it at Eureka about a few hours ago.  I highly recommend it, It's one of Sammo's most underrated flims of all time. The action is very good so it's worth spending your money on it

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ZenkaigerBat said:

I pre-ordered it at Eureka about a few hours ago.  I highly recommend it, It's one of Sammo's most underrated flims of all time. The action is very good so it's worth spending your money on it

Will be a first time watch for me just like the other coming sammo flicks. Im really happy about it.

Its interesting: Sammo was always a known character to me but i realised that i dont know  his movies without Jackie. Maybe a favour of the universe so that i can enjoy "new" hongkongmovies in times where no new movies are produced. Considering this I feel lucky.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, AslanBey said:

Will be a first time watch for me just like the other coming sammo flicks. Im really happy about it.

Its interesting: Sammo was always a known character to me but i realised that i dont know  his movies without Jackie. Maybe a favour of the universe so that i can enjoy "new" hongkongmovies in times where no new movies are produced. Considering this I feel lucky.

You should be lucky, watching Sammo's movies without Jackie and Yuen Biao. Sammo had alot of great classics under his belt. If you're fan of  Sammo, you might enjoy Skinny Tiger, Fatty Dragon.   I sure have, It's one of his underrated, one of his better flims from the 90's.

• Like 9

Will have to wait with the order as I have to cough up for the Shaw set first, but that's a definitive buy!

Slick move to include Mark's doc, been wondering when's that coming out.

Another announcement, another great release. Thanks Eureka and keep 'em coming, I'll get a second job if I have to.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, AslanBey said:

I would recommend getting this box set from Eureka. Eastern Condors is one of Sammo's best film. Magnificent Butcher is also a classic too.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, venom10463 said:

I would recommend getting this box set from Eureka. Eastern Condors is one of Sammo's best film. Magnificent Butcher is also a classic too.

Yes I purchased it a while ago but hadnt the chance to play them yet. I hope towards the end of the year I'll have more freetime to work off some of the many movies I purchased this year. 

• Like 6

Tried ordering the Cinematic Vengeance boxset from amazon.co.uk today but all their Eureka titles seem messed/switched up and it's called 'Stalagh 17' by Joseph Kuo now 🤔 Here's hoping it gets fixed soon as Amazon UK is a perfect route to order through from mainland Europe without the heavy customs delays that "regular" UK shipments face (i.e. Eureka direct).

Edited by jayholland
  • Like 4

Ok, I just finished watching OldPangYau’s incredible reconstruction of the original HK cut of 18 BRONZEMEN. I’d never seen any incarnation of the film before. My first thought is, where has this been all my life? This is one of the best, most involving, most colorful old school Kung Fu flicks I’ve ever seen. Imaginative set design and art direction, great choreography, and a most welcome compelling story, with likable characters whom you care about. And I gotta say, the Bronzemen sequences are some of the coolest scenes EVAH.

I do have one question: how do they get from the village to the valley during the final fight?

I flipped through the recut and man, what a hacked up mess, although some of the added scenes were interesting, especially the added “36 Chambers” training challenge scene. The commentary mentions that some footage was specially shot for the Japanese market and that the film was released in 1983 over there. Does anyone know which scenes were cribbed from other existing Kuo films and which scenes were specially shot for the Japanese release seven years after the HK release? When was the 36 Chambers bit shot? The commentators don’t seem to know which shots were cribbed and which were specially shot. I was hoping the booklet would contain some details about the two different versions but no dice.

At any rate, the original version is a treasure; the recut is interesting as a curio to flip through and see what they changed/added, but that’s about it. OldPangYau, amazing work. Thank you so much for rescuing this poor film and enabling the fans to see it in as close to its original glory as we’re ever likely to get. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

• Like 11

Want to give a BIG shoutout to Eureka Entertainment and Irongod and all those who helped out on blessing us with all these HK flicks that got released this year.
Modern action flicks, Sammo Hung, Jackie Chan, Yuen Biao films, classic Jimmy Wang Yu and some fantasy swordplay and Kung fu horror films. What a fantastic year it’s been!
Roll on 2022!
261462951_5220374511310328_7714189364328
  • Like 16
  • Buddha Bless You 1

OpiumKungFuCracker

That cinematic boxset from Eureka rules. I would have never imagined these movies get the HD treatment. I was fine with vhs rips and also. The mandarin and Cantonese audio makes these films that much better. I mean I don’t mind the old skool English dubs it just makes the films look goofy. With the original language it makes it that much more epic. Just got done with the 7 grandmasters and that was fun, tons of fights. 

F940BB62-0644-4CFD-8559-6BEA2D8923A3.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Buddha Bless You 2

sifu iron perm
On 11/26/2021 at 12:17 AM, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

That cinematic boxset from Eureka rules. I would have never imagined these movies get the HD treatment. I was fine with vhs rips and also. The mandarin and Cantonese audio makes these films that much better. I mean I don’t mind the old skool English dubs it just makes the films look goofy. With the original language it makes it that much more epic. Just got done with the 7 grandmasters and that was fun, tons of fights. 

F940BB62-0644-4CFD-8559-6BEA2D8923A3.jpeg

I fully concur 100 per cent! The restoration transfers are crisp and bright, brings a whole new dimension to the viewing experience. The canto Mono just breathes new life into these classics..Man, from those vhs tapes i bought from Eastern Heroes and watching a few in my childhood (early 80's) such as 7 grandmasters, bronzemen and world of drunken master were 4:3 ratio but were legendary times...

Edited by sifu iron perm
  • Like 11

I’m absolutely loving the Joe Kuo set and am hoping this isn’t the last word from Eureka on him; howzabout a Vol. 2, with:

SORROWFUL TO A GHOST (1970)

THE GHOST’S SWORD (1971)

THE MATCHLESS CONQUEROR (1971)

TRIANGULAR DUEL (1972)

HERO OF KWANGTUNG (1974)

DEADLY FISTS OF KUNG FU (1974)

THE EIGHT MASTERS (1976)

BORN INVINCIBLE (1978)

THE MYSTERY OF CHESS BOXING (1979)

SHAOLIN TEMPLE STRIKES BACK (1981)

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WaverBoy said:

I’m absolutely loving the Joe Kuo set and am hoping this isn’t the last word from Eureka on him; howzabout a Vol. 2, with:

SORROWFUL TO A GHOST (1970)

THE GHOST’S SWORD (1971)

THE MATCHLESS CONQUEROR (1971)

TRIANGULAR DUEL (1972)

HERO OF KWANGTUNG (1974)

DEADLY FISTS OF KUNG FU (1974)

THE EIGHT MASTERS (1976)

BORN INVINCIBLE (1978)

THE MYSTERY OF CHESS BOXING (1979)

SHAOLIN TEMPLE STRIKES BACK (1981)

Very good list! However I would like to add The 8 Masters and Dragon’s Claws! The question though is whether a potential Cinematic Vengeance Vol. 2 world be Joseph Kuo or perhaps another Indie director? If the latter, I feel that either Lee Tso Nam or Sun Cheung are the ones to deserve a box set. However, I love the new box so much. The films looks great and all the memorabilia extras put into the package is the icing on the cake!

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Django said:

Very good list! However I would like to add The 8 Masters and Dragon’s Claws! The question though is whether a potential Cinematic Vengeance Vol. 2 world be Joseph Kuo or perhaps another Indie director? If the latter, I feel that either Lee Tso Nam or Sun Cheung are the ones to deserve a box set. However, I love the new box so much. The films looks great and all the memorabilia extras put into the package is the icing on the cake!

The Eight (8) Masters is already on my list :)

• Like 4