The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

20 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

There, that oughta do for a start :)

Is that all? Well , that's June sorted. What would you like for July?? ;)

Edited by Markgway
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Wouldn’t a Eureka Blu-ray box of the CHINESE GHOST STORY trilogy be nice...?

What an absolute dream set that would be. The crucial things that catalysed my Hong Kong film obsession back in 1990-1991 were The Incredibly Strange Film Show episodes about Jackie Chan and Tsui Hark, the Cinema Group Home Video VHS release of POLICE STORY (under the POLICE FORCE title with the Kevin Bassinson score), and a super-fuzzy VHS bootleg of a UK telecast of A CHINESE GHOST STORY in Cantonese with English subtitles. Now that PS has been done justice at last, it sure would be nice to have the ACGS trilogy rescued from lousy upscale and remix hell.

• Like 4

After revisiting two Angela Mao's movies yesterday and saw that sometimes, the fights in Broken Oath seemed to have been sped up and that there were some inferior quality print images during Lady Whirlwind, it came to my mind that it would be great to see all of these Golden Harvest movies in a better quality print and with extras...I think of The eight invincible, The comet strikes, The blade spares none, The chase, all Angela's movies and a few other wuxia movies like Bandits from Shantung, The invincible sword...

• Like 5

16 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

Wouldn’t a Eureka Blu-ray box of the CHINESE GHOST STORY trilogy be nice...?

What an absolute dream set that would be. The crucial things that catalysed my Hong Kong film obsession back in 1990-1991 were The Incredibly Strange Film Show episodes about Jackie Chan and Tsui Hark, the Cinema Group Home Video VHS release of POLICE STORY (under the POLICE FORCE title with the Kevin Bassinson score), and a super-fuzzy VHS bootleg of a UK telecast of A CHINESE GHOST STORY in Cantonese with English subtitles. Now that PS has been done justice at last, it sure would be nice to have the ACGS trilogy rescued from lousy upscale and remix hell.

I'd buy a remastered trilogy on Blu, but to be honest, I could really do without the third film. The original is a classic, the sequel is good fun, but the law of diminishing returns is apparent. I think the problem with this and many other requested titles is to do with the Golden Princess catalogue not being up for grabs. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the UK/European rights are held by Fortune Star. If they were, I'd imagine we'd have seen those highly sought after John Woo/Chow Yun-Fat titles already. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

After revisiting two Angela Mao's movies yesterday and saw that sometimes, the fights in Broken Oath seemed to have been sped up and that there were some inferior quality print images during Lady Whirlwind, it came to my mind that it would be great to see all of these Golden Harvest movies in a better quality print and with extras...I think of The eight invincible, The comet strikes, The blade spares none, The chase, all Angela's movies and a few other wuxia movies like Bandits from Shantung, The invincible sword...

The earlier Golden Harvest films are a bit hit and miss for me, but there are some I'd really like to own on Blu. Some you mention, plus Hapkido and When Taekwondo Strikes, among others. Angela Mao isn't really a name outside of fan circles, her films having never been legitimately available in the UK, so I think the best chance we have is for the better known martial titles to sell well, and hope that a company is willing to take a chance on her. 

• Like 5

Killer Meteor
31 minutes ago, Markgway said:

I'd buy a remastered trilogy on Blu, but to be honest, I could really do without the third film. The original is a classic, the sequel is good fun, but the law of diminishing returns is apparent. I think the problem with this and many other requested titles is to do with the Golden Princess catalogue not being up for grabs. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the UK/European rights are held by Fortune Star. If they were, I'd imagine we'd have seen those highly sought after John Woo/Chow Yun-Fat titles already. 

I seem to recall HKL got the Golden Princess titles seperatly, though they were still Media Asia prints.

• Like 2

Master with OK Fingers
On 4/18/2020 at 7:41 PM, WaverBoy said:

VHS release of POLICE STORY (under the POLICE FORCE title with the Kevin Bassinson score)

This is my favourite version of the film. I tried to watch the Eureka 2k version today and with the different music, it just didn't have the same feel. It's a shame that Eureka didn't offer this as a dubbing/audio option for the better quality version.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

This is my favourite version of the film. I tried to watch the Eureka 2k version today and with the different music, it just didn't have the same feel. It's a shame that Eureka didn't offer this as a dubbing/audio option for the better quality version.

It’s the first version I saw and I am grateful that it existed, but after seeing the film with its proper score and in the longer Hong Kong theatrical version and then finally the even longer Japanese theatrical version, I never need to watch the bowdlerized version again. In fact, I won’t even watch the HK version ever again; the extended Japanese version with the complete opening and closing scenes is far and away the best version of the film IMO, not even close.

• Like 3

Master with OK Fingers
53 minutes ago, WaverBoy said:

It’s the first version I saw and I am grateful that it existed, but after seeing the film with its proper score and in the longer Hong Kong theatrical version and then finally the even longer Japanese theatrical version, I never need to watch the bowdlerized version again. In fact, I won’t even watch the HK version ever again; the extended Japanese version with the complete opening and closing scenes is far and away the best version of the film IMO, not even close.

I wish I felt the same, I really do but I also grew up with the VHS version and I must have worn out 3/4 videos because I watched it so much. If I could get something like HOD with the KB score where possible and the gaps filled in with alternative audio, that would be great. I know that would not be possible because of how it was cut for the VHS, so I can only dream.

• Like 2

Master with OK Fingers

Not sure if this was know before but fun fact which I just noticed this morning. The car that JC kidnaps the police chief in Police Story is the exact same car he uses to escape the commandos in Heart of Dragon 🤯

Screenshot_20200420-102615.png

Screenshot_20200420-102602.png

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Omni Dragon
43 minutes ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

Not sure if this was know before but fun fact which I just noticed this morning. The car that JC kidnaps the police chief in Police Story is the exact same car he uses to escape the commandos in Heart of Dragon 🤯

I've noticed that before as well.
There's also a Police Story poster where they seem to have accidentally put a Heart of Dragon scene at the bottom. I wonder if they got confused because of that same yellow Mitsubishi Colt in both:

1606042596_PoliceStory1985-80-b.thumb.jpg.ab52350682663ee3f7c5a435c8aa5e4b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Master with OK Fingers
1 hour ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

I've noticed that before as well.
There's also a Police Story poster where they seem to have accidentally put a Heart of Dragon scene at the bottom. I wonder if they got confused because of that same yellow Mitsubishi Colt in both:

1606042596_PoliceStory1985-80-b.thumb.jpg.ab52350682663ee3f7c5a435c8aa5e4b.jpg

I believe that they were both filmed at the same time, so I'm guessing that the promotional stuff was as well. Must have picked up the wrong print from the floor!

• Like 5

It's probably the car Jackie drove between sets. :D

Oh, and Michael Lai's score is definitely superior to Kevin Bassington's. 

Edited by Markgway
  • Like 6

Omni Dragon
25 minutes ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

I believe that they were both filmed at the same time, so I'm guessing that the promotional stuff was as well. Must have picked up the wrong print from the floor!

I remember in an interview Chan mentioning shooting Heart of Dragon by day and the Wing On Department Store end fight scenes in Police Story by night. I don't know how he had the energy for some of the best action sequences ever

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Markgway said:

Oh, and Michael Lai's score is definitely superior to Kevin Bassington's. 

I prefer Kevin's.:P

Bassington, that is, not Chan.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chen lung said:

I prefer Kevin's.:P

Bassington, that is, not Chan.

Yikes. Well, looks like there’s at least two on Team Kevin. Also, it’s Bassinson, not Bassington. :wink

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 6

On 4/19/2020 at 4:40 PM, Master with OK Fingers said:

Mine too. :)

1445620051_26148_policeforce-cinemagroup12028VHSCollector.com29.thumb.jpg.9bf75568693cc3852640b6d1b011302c.jpg

• Like 2

Master with OK Fingers
3 hours ago, mpm74 said:

Mine too. :)

1445620051_26148_policeforce-cinemagroup12028VHSCollector.com29.thumb.jpg.9bf75568693cc3852640b6d1b011302c.jpg

This was the version I grew up watching. But is the exact same cut/score as Police Force.

This is my favourite film of all time. When I was lucky enough to meet JC I took this VHS cover with me and got him to sign it. It is my favourite piece of Jackie memorabilia I own. It is locked up in a air tight container!

Big-Box-Ex-Rental-Police-Story-Palace-Premier-Film-Movie-Vhs-Tape-201929675129.JPG

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

This was the version I grew up watching. But is the exact same cut/score as Police Force.

This is my favourite film of all time. When I was lucky enough to meet JC I took this VHS cover with me and got him to sign it. It is my favourite piece of Jackie memorabilia I own. It is locked up in a air tight container!

Big-Box-Ex-Rental-Police-Story-Palace-Premier-Film-Movie-Vhs-Tape-201929675129.JPG

Very cool. I can't seem to see the signature though. Or is this not your actual copy?

Master with OK Fingers
On 4/28/2020 at 5:45 PM, mpm74 said:

Very cool. I can't seem to see the signature though. Or is this not your actual copy?

Sorry no, this is just a pic from eBay or somewhere. I will grab a pic of it next time I go to the vault! 😁

• Like 2

Master with OK Fingers

Signed copy👍

He was doing a meet & greet at Planet Hollywood London in Nov 99 or 00.

IMG_20200430_122715.jpg

Edited by Master with OK Fingers
  • Like 5

Blessed are you, he never came out of us. only on dvd around 2000. Few people bought foreign copies like I did. Luckily in Rome we had a video library run by Chinese who were a point of reference.

• Like 3