The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Master with OK Fingers

Have just pre-ordered ZU. Not one that I've seen before, but I'm a huge Yuen Biao fan, and what better time to try this than the Eureka version which has everything you should ever need for this film.

• Like 7

On 2/7/2020 at 11:08 AM, KUNG FU BOB said:

When I first saw it I was coming off seeing stuff like DRAGONS FOREVER, WHEELS ON MEALS and the LUCKY STARS movies, and was excited to see both Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung (playing two roles) in another film. Plus, I had seen and loved PEKING OPERA BLUES, so knowing the same director, Tsui Hark, was responsible for ZU made it extremely appealing to me.

For me it was just the opposite. I saw Zu before seeing seeing any of these films and at the time it was a welcome change from the "then current" action movies at the time. On first viewing I enjoyed it and wanted more.

As soon as it was available for pre-order on Amazon, I purchased it. 

• Like 8

• Administrator
On 2/23/2020 at 11:42 AM, thekfc said:

For me it was just the opposite. I saw Zu before seeing seeing any of these films and at the time it was a welcome change from the "then current" action movies at the time. On first viewing I enjoyed it and wanted more.

As soon as it was available for pre-order on Amazon, I purchased it. 

Interesting. Some times it's all about timing.

I'm still going to order it despite it not being one I'm a big fan of. It's been a long time since I watched it, so I may as well revisit it in style. Plus, I'm sure I will enjoy all the special features.

• Like 5

It’s one of my ultimate favorites so I have already pre-ordered. I just hope there’s no mistakes in the restoration because there’s so many effects shots. If they can make a mistake like they did with Once Upon a Time in China then I worry what could happen to ZU! 

• Like 4

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Graeme Of Death said:

What did they do with Once Upon A Time In China?

@Graeme Of Death in the final scene of the movie- when they're about to take the group photo- a matte shot is missing that should show blue sky above the roof of Po Chi Lam, and instead you could see the studio wall. This print, missing the FX shot was what was provided to Eureka. I believe another forum member reported that to cover this mistake for their release they zoomed the shot a bit to crop out the error. I just watched it, but I didn't notice nor remember to look for it.

• Like 6

Graeme Of Death
16 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

@Graeme Of Death in the final scene of the movie- when they're about to take the group photo- a matte shot is missing that should show blue sky above the roof of Po Chi Lam, and instead you could see the studio wall. This print, missing the FX shot was what was provided to Eureka. I believe another forum member reported that to cover this mistake for their release they zoomed th;e shot a bit to crop out the error. I just watched it, but I didn't notice nor remember to look for it.

I think I can live with that :)

• Like 4

Killer Meteor

One goof that is on OUATIC Parts I and III, plus Hand of Death - no dark or blue filters for some "night" scenes, resulting in them being now in broad daylight.

Bizzarely, Dragon Fist, The Protector and Project A 2 now have daytime scenes with blue filters over them to suggest dawn or dusk, which, to the best of my knowlege they never had before.

• Like 4

On 2/27/2020 at 10:32 AM, Graeme Of Death said:

What did they do with Once Upon A Time In China?

On 2/27/2020 at 8:30 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

@Graeme Of Death in the final scene of the movie- when they're about to take the group photo- a matte shot is missing that should show blue sky above the roof of Po Chi Lam, and instead you could see the studio wall. This print, missing the FX shot was what was provided to Eureka. I believe another forum member reported that to cover this mistake for their release they zoomed the shot a bit to crop out the error. I just watched it, but I didn't notice nor remember to look for it.

I was one of few who pointed this out, or perhaps the only person. Not that that matters. Most fans didn’t care. Missing effects shots/color grading/missing filters are way more important to me than what font size/speed of the subtitles are. But, those kinds of arguments tend to go on for days over at blu-ray.com. 

On 2/29/2020 at 7:03 AM, Killer Meteor said:

One goof that is on OUATIC Parts I and III, plus Hand of Death - no dark or blue filters for some "night" scenes, resulting in them being now in broad daylight.

Bizzarely, Dragon Fist, The Protector and Project A 2 now have daytime scenes with blue filters over them to suggest dawn or dusk, which, to the best of my knowlege they never had before.

And, the golden hue that was integral to certain scenes on every other release was severely downplayed here.

Killer Meteor
3 hours ago, reason108 said:

I was one of few who pointed this out, or perhaps the only person. Not that that matters. Most fans didn’t care. Missing effects shots/color grading/missing filters are way more important to me than what font size/speed of the subtitles are. But, those kinds of arguments tend to go on for days over at blu-ray.com. 

And, the golden hue that was integral to certain scenes on every other release was severely downplayed here.

Yes,OUATICII used to recall Polanksi's Chinatown. No longer.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 2/29/2020 at 9:03 AM, Killer Meteor said:

Oh yeah @Killer Meteor, I forgot about this. Now that's something that does bother me. I do miss the blue filters.

I have not watched the new release of DRAGON FIST yet, but I did not notice the "shouldn't be there" blue filters in THE PROTECTOR and PROJECT A 2. Wow, that's bizarre. Can you site a specific example of a scene so I can check it out/compare it with my older releases?

On 3/2/2020 at 1:31 AM, reason108 said:

@reason108 thanks- I couldn't recall at the time who had posted about it and didn't have the time that day to read back through the thread (or maybe I read your post at bluray.com's forum?) looking for it.

It can really vary what will bother various viewers and what won't. Doesn't make anybody right or wrong, it's just different perceptions. I was always okay with putting up watching poor picture quality, yet an audio buzz or out-of-sync sound FX would absolutely ruin a film-watching experience for me. 

Ah yes, the golden hue...

On 3/2/2020 at 5:18 AM, Killer Meteor said:

Yes,OUATICII used to recall Polanksi's Chinatown. No longer.

Good point.

21 hours ago, Graeme Of Death said:

See I watch these films and wouldn't notice any of this in a million years.

Well then these releases will look and sound perfect to you! So that's good news @Graeme Of Death. :wink:

• Like 2

Killer Meteor

Kung FU Bob

Blue filters on daylight scenes

The Protector - the scene of the robbers driving up to rob the bank

Project A II - the scene in the credits where Jackie is briefed by his boss, and the similar scene later on when Bill Tung briefs him before the dinner party.

• Like 3

Did anyone have problems with the eurka blu rays ?

I wanted to watch Project A II and I was forced to give up right in the middle of the birthday party, because : first, the subtitles didn't go on with the movie and stayed blocked on the words " the birthday cake is so big " or something like that, so, I switched to the English language, and second : the image freezed and no way to see the rest of the movie...

I'm disappointed, and furious against myself because I waited too long to watch it after buying the boxset and I can't ask for a replacement, now !! :bs_angry:

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, sifu iron perm said:

project A 2 's english dub sounds off key

I only switched to the English dubbed when the subs wen't out of synchronization, by using my remote, so, I don't know which English dub it was, and it seemed to fit the images...until the movie freezes a few seconds later...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Killer Meteor

On the main transfer, it's a more recent dub from 2002. In the extras, you can watch the original dub on a SD transfer.

• Like 2

I had no problems with the disc. Sounds like you've got a faulty pressing, i would contact the retailer directly, it's worth a try.

• Like 3

Eureka seem to have slowed down on the announcements,even before the current problems. Only Zu mentioned in recent months, hope they have more in the pipeline. 

• Like 1

Irongod2112
On 4/2/2020 at 2:47 PM, saltysam said:

Eureka seem to have slowed down on the announcements,even before the current problems. Only Zu mentioned in recent months, hope they have more in the pipeline. 

Currently working on multiple titles for Eureka folks. Plenty of upcoming HK films in the pipeline. :)

Working on getting even more classics licenced so stay tuned.

• Like 13

Master with OK Fingers
On 4/13/2020 at 2:43 PM, Irongod2112 said:

Currently working on multiple titles for Eureka folks. Plenty of upcoming HK films in the pipeline. :)

Any hints? 😁

• Haha 1

On 4/13/2020 at 6:43 AM, Irongod2112 said:

Man you’re KILLIN’ me over here

• Like 2

Heroic Bloodshed/Crime Want list:

A BETTER TOMORROW 

A BETTER TOMORROW 2

THE KILLER

BULLET IN THE HEAD

ONCE A THIEF

HARD-BOILED

CITY ON FIRE

PRISON ON FIRE

SCHOOL ON FIRE