The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

19 hours ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

If Zu includes the international cut, I'll mainly buy it to get to see that.

The full international cut (Zu Time Warrior) will be included but not in HD.

Unfortunately Fortune Star didn't restore this cut and it was too costly to have it scanned.

• Like 5

Master with OK Fingers

Any news on the Eureka releases for this year? I seem to remember this time last year @irongod2112 dropped an amazing list to look forward to in 2019.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

Any news on the Eureka releases for this year? I seem to remember this time last year @irongod2112 dropped an amazing list to look forward to in 2019.

Second that I’d like to know what if any, Chan/ martial arts movies are on the way this year.

• Like 2

Hey guys,

Can someone please move this thread into the Classic Martial Arts section?

I think it will get more traffic if it's next to the 88 Films thread.

Sorry for not updating been very busy working with the labels getting releases ready.

Eureka have something very cool coming out this Summer after Zu gets a release.

Going forward we have ALOT of quality HK titles coming, we are just waiting on the restorations from Fortune Star to be completed.

Thank you for all of you that are supporting the releases!! :)

Keep buying and we will get even more HK films.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Irongod2112 said:

Hey guys,

Can someone please move this thread into the Classic Martial Arts section?

I think it will get more traffic if it's next to the 88 Films thread.

Sorry for not updating been very busy working with the labels getting releases ready.

Going forward we have ALOT of quality HK titles coming, we are just waiting on the restorations from Fortune Star to be completed.

This sounds like good news! But c’mon give us a little clue!

• Like 4

I'll be honest, not a fan of Zu-  i found it incoherent and HK Fantasy is not really my bag, however i will buy it as i want to support the label and see more releases coming.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, saltysam said:

I'll be honest, not a fan of Zu-  i found it incoherent and HK Fantasy is not really my bag, however i will buy it as i want to support the label and see more releases coming.

I’m in the same boat.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Irongod2112 said:

Love ZU, will definitely be buying it!  And, a repeat of my wishlist for either Eureka or 88 Films, whoever can get their hands on them...

High priority list:

ENTER THE FAT DRAGON (1978) (the extended complete cut needs to be redone with the HD footage at full resolution unlike the otherwise stupendous German Blu-ray)

ENCOUNTERS OF THE SPOOKY KIND

ODD COUPLE

KNOCKABOUT

DREADNAUGHT

WARRIORS TWO

THE VICTIM

THE PRODIGAL SON

THE YOUNG MASTER

WINNERS AND SINNERS

MY LUCKY STARS

TWINKLE TWINKLE LUCKY STARS

SKINNY TIGER, FATTY DRAGON

Lower priority but still wanted:

THE DEAD AND THE DEADLY

DIRTY TIGER, CRAZY FROG

TWO TOOTHLESS TIGERS

THE INCREDIBLE KUNG-FU MASTER

BY HOOK OR BY CROOK

WINNER TAKES ALL

FILTHY GUY

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 5

• Administrator
On 2/5/2020 at 4:50 PM, saltysam said:

On 2/5/2020 at 5:06 PM, Drunken Monk said:

I’m in the same boat.

I feel the same way about ZU: WARRIORS OF MAGIC MOUNTAIN as @saltysam and @Drunken Monk. Not a huge fan of the film, but I'll support the release by purchasing it.

Some thoughts on the film, which I'll keep spoiler free... When I first saw it I was coming off seeing stuff like DRAGONS FOREVER, WHEELS ON MEALS and the LUCKY STARS movies, and was excited to see both Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung (playing two roles) in another film. Plus, I had seen and loved PEKING OPERA BLUES, so knowing the same director, Tsui Hark, was responsible for ZU made it extremely appealing to me. Well, it was nothing like any of those films, that's for sure! I had strong expectations for lots of martial arts brawls with insane stunts, all filmed with an incredible flair and color. There was plenty of the later, but this was a fantasy wuxia-pan, not at all what I was prepared for. I found it very strange and disjointed, and hard to follow. I put it on my shelf and it remained there for a long time. Then, after reading and learning more about the film through the Tsui Hark episode of Son of the Incredibly Strange Film Show and I think also in the documentary THE DEADLIEST ART (aka. THE BEST OF THE MARTIAL ARTS FILMS) I realized how revolutionary the film was for its time as far as the use of "Hollywood style" special effects to depict the fantasy elements, and I also had a better understanding of Chinese legends, history, customs by then, so I re-watched it. The film played much better for me the second time around. There were still parts where I found myself completely disengaged, but most of it was very entertaining.

I haven't seen the film now for almost 30 years, so I'm ready to give it another look, and it will be nice to see such a strong presentation (if it's anything like what we've come to expect from Eureka). But I'm honestly more interested in the extra features on the release than I am in the feature.

Also, kudos to Eureka for commissioning original artwork for the release. Let the revolution of practical art continue to smite Photoshopped poster art! 😄

On 2/5/2020 at 8:03 PM, WaverBoy said:

Love ZU, will definitely be buying it!  And, a repeat of my wishlist for either Eureka or 88 Films, whoever can get their hands on them...

High priority list:

ENTER THE FAT DRAGON (1978) (the extended complete cut needs to be redone with the HD footage at full resolution unlike the otherwise stupendous German Blu-ray)

ODD COUPLE

KNOCKABOUT

DREADNAUGHT

WARRIORS TWO

THE VICTIM

THE PRODIGAL SON

THE YOUNG MASTER

WINNERS AND SINNERS

MY LUCKY STARS

THE DEAD AND THE DEADLY

DIRTY TIGER, CRAZY FROG

TWO TOOTHLESS TIGERS

BY HOOK OR BY CROOK

WINNER TAKES ALL

FILTHY GUY

Wow, gotta say- I'd purchase Blu-rays of all of those with the possible exceptions of TWO TOOTHLESS TIGERS and the last three. I don't remember them fondly. But the rest of the list is filled with great films.

6 hours ago, Iron Head Rat said:

Legend Of A Fighter & Ninja In The Dragons Den both Seasonal Films..These highly skilled films need updating.

Yes! Both of these are fantastic and need Blu-ray releases.

• Like 5

On 2/5/2020 at 8:03 PM, WaverBoy said:

High priority list:

ODD COUPLE

KNOCKABOUT

DREADNAUGHT

WARRIORS TWO

THE VICTIM

THE PRODIGAL SON

THE YOUNG MASTER

WINNERS AND SINNERS

MY LUCKY STARS

THE DEAD AND THE DEADLY

DIRTY TIGER, CRAZY FROG

TWO TOOTHLESS TIGERS

BY HOOK OR BY CROOK

WINNER TAKES ALL

FILTHY GUY

For all of you on the fence about picking up Zu Warriors from Magic Mountain...

I think the gorgeous new scan, quality original audio & newly translated subtitles really helps lift the overall presentation.

I was never a huge fan of the film but I am most certainly a fan now!!

I can't tell you guys exactly what's coming from ethier label.

But I will say there are at least 8 films on this list and a few classics not on the list above being restored for a future release. :)

NOW I NEED YOUR HELP!!

If anyone has any Hong Kong films on laserdisc or has access to someone who does please get in touch with me.

Edited by Irongod2112
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, Irongod2112 said:

For all of you on the fence about picking up Zu Warriors from Magic Mountain...

I think the gorgeous new scan, quality original audio & newly translated subtitles really helps lift the overall presentation.

I was never a huge fan of the film but I am most certainly a fan now!!

But I will say there are at least 8 films on this list and a few classics not on the list above being restored for a future release. :)

NOW I NEED YOUR HELP!!

If anyone has any Hong Kong films on laserdisc or has access to someone who does please get in touch with me.

HOLY SHIT, 8 films from my list PLUS MORE CLASSICS are in the pipeline???  Thank you so much for cheering me right up!!!!!

Also, I have a stack of HK films on LD, don’t remember all the titles offhand but I’ll make a list next time I can access them and let you know what I have.

Thank you SO MUCH!!!

• Like 4

Master with OK Fingers
On 2/8/2020 at 5:01 PM, Irongod2112 said:

Come on Lucky Stars trilogy! 🤞🙏

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

Come on Lucky Stars trilogy! 🤞🙏

Yep, we need a nice box set of those, each with its own case like the ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA trilogy box and the PROJECT A box.

• Like 3

I watched Fist of legend today, a 2k release would be nice along with a hybrid audio track (Cantonese mono with the Miramax score) and extended Taiwanese version. 

• Like 4

On 2/7/2019 at 6:19 AM, Asmo said:

There are, yes. The BD-R of Odd Couple (in the initial DVD/BD-R release) had (not great) English subs, and decent (if rough) original mono. Can't speak for the latter standalone BD release, but it may be a port. 

As for Skinny Tiger, Fatty Dragon: The BD-R/DVD combo release featured English subtitles of a similar quality to that of Odd Couple, but only a 5.1 track. The standalone BD release additionally featured a downmix of the 5.1 track. I'm referring to Cantonese tracks, of course. I think both films contained Japanese dubs, too. 

Seeing as Mei Ah closed down recently-ish (did all of their departments close?), I'm wondering what the rights situation of those two would be. Assuming Mei Ah or their parent company had the rights around the time of the HD masters, that is. 

Would be good for Eureka to get either of these. Isn't The Victim owned by Warners, somehow? I'm sure it's in that list of Golden Harvest titles that Warner have the rights to, despite not being a GH-produced title. 

I have the Japanese DVD/BD-R of ODD COUPLE.  Picture quality is wonderful, but the original Cantonese mono track is badly out-of-synch for the first ten minutes or so, after which it gets better.  I really hope Eureka or 88 Films can fix this one, and also SKINNY TIGER & FATTY DRAGON; the picture quality on the Japanese BD-R is lovely but the Cantonese 5.1 remix is absolutely unlistenable.

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, saltysam said:

There's a custom of the japanese Skinny Tiger BD-R knocking around with the original audio

It's a downmix if I remember correctly. 

1 hour ago, Asmo said:

It's a downmix if I remember correctly. 

Yeah, no idea why whomever did the custom chose a downmix. Presumably done in error.  

The original mono was on the first Mei Ah DVD -- not sure if it was on the second edition? 

The description of the version i have says

"I removed the altered 2.0 Cantonese track and Japanese dub track and replaced them with the original 2.0 Cantonese audio (no new sound effects)". ?

2 hours ago, saltysam said:

"I removed the altered 2.0 Cantonese track and Japanese dub track and replaced them with the original 2.0 Cantonese audio (no new sound effects)". ?

How does it sound to you? The new foley effects are pretty obvious so I would think your ears would be a good judge 😊

7 hours ago, saltysam said:

I think that's the version I had, but the audio isn't original. I had to replace it myself.