The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Just now, Graysman said:

The quality on this is top notch and all the sound tracks you could possibly want for me easily 9/10 just a shame no commentary other than that it just gets better and better from EUREKA roll on now the Sammo Hung Blu ray releases from Eureka cannot wait.

I'm very happy to hear this @Graysman.

I'll bet they were originally planning on including Bey Logan's audio commentary, as they seem to have ported over a lot of features from Hong Kong Legend's old DVD release, but decided against it in light of all the allegations against him.

• Like 1

Just now, KUNG FU BOB said:

I'll bet they were originally planning on including Bey Logan's audio commentary, as they seem to have ported over a lot of features from Hong Kong Legend's old DVD release, but decided against it in light of all the allegations against him.

I think your right on the Bey Logan but after what's gone on the plugs been pulled.

36 minutes ago, andy338 said:

Have many of you got Wheels on Meals yet? My amazon order is due any day. I'm expecting another good job on the release from Eureka, does anybody have any first impressions?

My order is due for delivery today via DHL.

I also have Project A 1 & 2 and Sister Street Fighter Collection schedule to come in the same delivery.

25 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

So far I got their releases of POLICE STORY 1 & 2, IRON MONKEY, the ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA set, and CITY HUNTER.

I also have their releases of Iron Monkey, Once Upon A Time set & City Hunter as well as Drunken Master, Legend of the Mountain, Dragon Inn, A Touch of Zen from their Masters of Cinema releases.

Police Story 1 & 2, I have yet to get, hopefully I will get it on the next order I placed.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

I won’t defend Bey’s actions but at the same time I think it’s a shame his commentaries aren’t included anymore as they were always informative and well done. 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2019 at 2:47 AM, Markgway said:

Yes, I'm the ancient member of the forum that was/is Markgway.  

There can be only one... 

No, I'm not fluent in Chinese. 

I just found that I was pretty good at translating when dabbling with my own fan projects. 

I volunteered my services to Eureka when it transpired that they intended to use whatever Chinglish scripts Fortune Star were giving them

and weren't interested in paying for "a professional" to do new ones.

I start my translations from scratch.

If they're the same in any part to previous translations it's pure coincidence. 

The only time I've "borrowed" was for the Russian dialogue in OUATIC 3 (as I couldn't find anyone who spoke that language). 

----

Hello Markgway. It's a pleasure to meet you. My name is Michael, originally from the United States and currently living in China.

Anyway, I'd like to apologize if my previous post concerning about your translation quality for OUATIC1 as disappointing. Yes, I was at the time perhaps a little too harsh, noticing some minor mistakes in your work. 

But the fact that you volunteered your services shows that you're truly passionate about the genre and like you, I'm also passionate about kungfu (along with HK, Taiwan and Mainland Chinese) films. That's the very reason why I learned Chinese to begin with and even till this day, I'm still learning after 20+ years.

Nonetheless, your work truly deserves my commendation.

The thing that I worry is that you yourself who is not fluent in Chinese (I don't know if that means you can speak Chinese but not a fluent level or perhaps don't speak the language) is that your translation work will produce some not so obvious (to non-Chinese speakers) yet very heavy errors from very minor mistakes.

This reminds of the American poet, Ezra Pound, who brought Chinese poems to the western world over 100 years ago, yet he himself didn't speak Chinese. Instead, he relied on Japanese translations of the Chinese poems along with his "discovery" that Chinese characters were pictographs to create his own translation style. For example, if the poem had the three Chinese characters of "I" "see" "sun", he would write the stanza something like, "I see the sun" or perhaps in more poetic method like, "I, the sun, is seen". Sometimes his translation was very close to the original meaning. Other times, they were so far off.

Anyway, if you ever need any help on double checking, feel free to message me in private. It would be my pleasure!

Michael

Edited by gskmeva
Update info
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gskmeva said:

----

Hello Markgway. It's a pleasure to meet you. My name is Michael, originally from the United States and currently living in China.

Anyway, I'd like to apologize if my previous post concerning about your translation quality for OUATIC1 as disappointing. Yes, I was at the time perhaps a little too harsh, noticing some minor mistakes in your work. 

But the fact that you volunteered your services shows that you're truly passionate about the genre and like you, I'm also passionate about kungfu (along with HK, Taiwan and Mainland Chinese) films. That's the very reason why I learned Chinese to begin with and even till this day, I'm still learning after 20+ years.

Nonetheless, your work truly deserves my commendation.

The thing that I worry is that you yourself who is not fluent in Chinese (I don't know if that means you can speak Chinese but not a fluent level or perhaps don't speak the language) is that your translation work will produce some not so obvious (to non-Chinese speakers) yet very heavy errors from very minor mistakes.

This reminds of the American poet, Ezra Pound, who brought Chinese poems to the western world over 100 years ago, yet he himself didn't speak Chinese. Instead, he relied on Japanese translations of the Chinese poems along with his "discovery" that Chinese characters were pictographs to create his own translation style. For example, if the poem had the three Chinese characters of "I" "see" "sun", he would write the stanza something like, "I see the sun" or perhaps in more poetic method like, "I, the sun, is seen". Sometimes his translation was very close to the original meaning. Other times, they were so far off.

Anyway, if you ever need any help on double checking, feel free to message me in private. It would be my pleasure!

Michael

I have my translations checked by Chinese speakers and always ask for ANY errors no matter how minor to be pointed out to me so I can change them. 

That's why I was surprised that you seemed to find my subtitles so problematic. 

Of course the odd error will always slip thru, but that's true no matter who's doing the job. 

• Like 2

Since Eureka's porting over the HKL extras, why not just use the old HKL translations? Are they inaccurate?

Edited by Yakuza954

7 hours ago, Yakuza954 said:

Since Eureka's porting over the HKL extras, why not just use the old HKL translations? Are they inaccurate?

Some titles, both when they started out and before they went out of business, were just dubtitles.

• Like 1

DragonClaws

All new audio commentary for The Hand of Death, thanks to @Mike Leeder.

Will there also be a commentary track for Last Hurrah for Chivarly?.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Got this ordered, as these are two "lesser films" in comparison to what they've released so far i'd have thought a £19.99 price point would shift more units. I don't mind paying the £24 but i'm thinking plenty won't and the more these sell well the more release we'll get.

• Like 1

sifu iron perm
On 3/21/2019 at 6:38 AM, DiP said:

I'm getting my copy of Wheels on Meals tomorrow on the way to work.

will this be near the same as the hong kong rescue edition?

what will be difference between the eueka releadse of police story 1 & 2 with the Criterion release of both films?

Criterion is getting a proper HD transfer of the HK Police Story 2 as an extra, for one. Maybe the other extras, and audio tracks will differ too.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, sifu iron perm said:

Better.no burnt in sidetitles for a start.

• Like 2

Master with OK Fingers
5 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

what will be difference between the eueka releadse of police story 1 & 2 with the Criterion release of both films?

Hi have the Eureka & HKR versions and have pre-ordered the Criterion. I will advise once it arrives.

• Like 2

professorwho
On 4/15/2019 at 12:01 AM, Asmo said:

Criterion is getting a proper HD transfer of the HK Police Story 2 as an extra, for one. Maybe the other extras, and audio tracks will differ too.

The Criterion release has atrocious compression artifacts on both cuts.

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=12243&d2=13118&s1=121365&s2=130893&i=1&l=0

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=3&x=536&y=426&d1=12243&d2=13118&s1=121365&s2=130893&l=1&i=1&go=1

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=3&x=406&y=421&d1=12243&d2=13118&s1=121365&s2=130893&l=1&i=1&go=1

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=3&x=541&y=324&d1=12243&d2=13118&s1=121365&s2=130893&l=1&i=1&go=1

That is all from one screenshot. It's even worse in others.

Stick with the Eureka- Criterion messed this up big time.

• Like 1

Irongod2112

Hey guys still looking for some HK laserdiscs for possible upcoming Eureka titles.

Does anyone have the following HK laserdiscs listed below?

If so, please send me a PM :)

Warriors Two

Prodigal Son

Royal Warriors

God of Gamblers

Also here is the new trailer for Hand of Death & Last Hurrah for Chivalry

https://youtu.be/Eq2tjbIx8dQ

Don't worry guys the Classic English dubs are on the discs! ;)

Edited by Irongod2112
  • Like 3

Killer Meteor

I don't get why Eureka tries to sell these films drawing attention to the bad dubbing, especially when it's not even the original dubbing!

Nice to see Rick Thomas never gave up the day job.

Edited by Killer Meteor

1 hour ago, Irongod2112 said:

Hey guys still looking for some HK laserdiscs for possible upcoming Eureka titles.

Does anyone have the following HK laserdiscs listed below?

If so, please send me a PM :)

Warriors Two

Prodigal Son

Royal Warriors

God of Gamblers

Also here is the new trailer for Hand of Death & Last Hurrah for Chivalry

https://youtu.be/Eq2tjbIx8dQ

Don't worry guys the Classic English dubs are on the discs! ;)

The Prodigal Son and God of Gamblers for me.

"Obscure and largely unseen for many years,"

Who wrote that codswallop! They need a clue of what's really obscure.

Nice to see Irongod2112 giving away what they are gonna release lol.  Give us some more Chow Yun-fat.  I'd probably buy all four of them.

• Like 1

Irongod2112
23 hours ago, Burnout29 said:

Nice to see Irongod2112 giving away what they are gonna release lol.  Give us some more Chow Yun-fat.  I'd probably buy all four of them.

I'm not giving away anything my friend. Just preparing ahead of time. ;)

• Like 3