The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Hi guys!! :)

Still need help sourcing audio tracks.

If anyone here has the French DVD or Joy Sales DVD for Iron Fisted Monk please send me a PM.

I was able to source the Deltamac DVD & Fox DVD buy would still like to hear a few more options.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

On 12/24/2018 at 7:29 AM, gskmeva said:

Just watched part 1 of the OUATIC Eureka box set. The restoration, although not 100% perfect, looks great and we're not going to have a better version for a long time unless someone forks out the money and time to go back and scan the original camera negatives (which probably don't exist anymore). I also saw the film re-released on 35mm in the early 2000s and a lot of the colors on the bluray look similiar to what I remember back that screening.

Sadly I got bad news. Although the English subtitles (at least for part 1 and I have yet to watch the other discs) are newly translated, they are not the greatest. In fact, they are even poorer than the original subtitles that were used on the 35mm (which served as basis for all DVD/upscale bluray editions afterwards including HKL DVD). There are many errors in the translation and some things are just awful and properly careless. And they even included the "F" word out of nowhere.

E.g. An obvious translation error is when Jet Li says (in the original language and previous existing English subtitles) that "China must change" while the Eureka version says "Tongshan must change". "Tongshan" also refers to "China". Another obvious one was when the general says to Jet Li when handing the fan of "Unequal treaties", "When you see this fan, you see me" was mistranslated as "you see the person". Now, I'm a native English speaker who speaks fluent Chinese and this is a truly a sloppy and poor mistake because the original Chinese does literally say "see the person" but it means "see me". :(

I'll have to re-watch the film again for more translations error but I'm quite saddened about the decreased quality in the English subtitles, unfortunately. I'm worried about part 2 because that film has more classic and poetic (almost Shakespearean like) Chinese dialogue that is even harder to translate.

Sad to see that you were disappointed with my subtitles for Once Upon a Time in China. 

Did you find Parts 2 and 3 as bad? 

-Re. Tangshan. I obviously missed that this was an old-fashioned way of referring to China.

I wrongly assumed that it was referring to the city in Northern China.

I did realise that Tang was another way of saying Chinese so I probably should've twigged. 

-Re. "You see the person". I guess I was too literal with that one. 

Perhaps "you see the man" might have been a better compromise? 

I actually don't think that one loses it's meaning. 

At least, I assumed the viewer would know the character was referring to himself. 

But if you feel differently, that's OK. 

-Re. Shahe (gang). My idea was to keep the character names in Cantonese and things like place names, real historical (Chinese) figures, etc in Mandarin. 

I realise that may seem inconsistent, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. 

Like, if a city is town is better known under it's Mandarin name, I tried to keep it that way. 

Because Shahe refers to the place where the gang is from I put it in Mandarin. 

Maybe not the right choice...? I don't know. 

-Re. strong language. One place where I wasn't too literal (I hope) was in translating insults. 

From what I gather, most of the time "ham ga chan" is translated simply as some variation on "fuck" (because of it's comparable level of offensiveness), and not as a family curse (which wouldn't mean as much to western viewers). 

I stuck to that president. 

There's more swearing than people are used to in subtitles, but I don't believe I added any that wasn't already there? 

Past subs and dubs have sanitised language for some reason. 

I lean toward the literal with my translations and sometime native speakers will find my words over-literal. 

I strenuously try to avoid re-writing the dialogue in my own words or being loose with the meanings. 

I don't claim perfection - how could I? - but I didn't realise anyone had take such a negative view of my work. 

Constructive criticism - no matter how brutal - is welcome. 

Please list more examples of flawed translations and I'll do my best to explain them... if I can. 

I always try to improve with each title and hope you guys enjoy/appreciate what I have coming up. 

• Like 5

Hello, Markgway, welcome back to the forum !

So, it's you who tranlsated the movies for eureka ? I wasn't aware of this !

I haven't bought the Once upon a time in China boxset as yet, but I bought three of Jackie Chan's movie from eureka. Did you also translate these ones ?

Edited by ShawAngela
  • Like 1

Welcome back Markgway, I always enjoyed reading your informative posts, the forum has missed your input.

Edited by andy338
  • Like 1

Parted dvds of Last Hurrah and Hand of death, easier to pick forthcoming eureka release when don`t have them already in shelf.

I think subs were great at eureka OUATIC 1 and 2  but was prepared to it as in other forum there was talk about it..

I do not wonder anymore why some subtitle translations of scandianvian shaws use strong language, obviously celestials were much nicer(avoiding strong words) than direct from original lanuage.

Edited by Tex Killer
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Hello, Markgway, welcome back to the forum !

So, it's you who tranlsated the movies for eureka ? I wasn't aware of this !

I haven't bought the Once upon a time in China boxset as yet, but I bought three of Jackie Chan's movie from eureka. Did you also translate these ones ?

Thanks. :)

So far I've done subtitles for City Hunter, Project A II, and the Once Upon a Time in China trilogy.

Am working on more for this year's upcoming titles. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, andy338 said:

Welcome back Markgway, I always enjoyed reading your informative posts, the forum has missed your input.

4 hours ago, massa_yoda said:

Hey, Markgway’s back!  Great news!  

Thanks, guys! 

2 hours ago, Tex Killer said:

Parted dvds of Last Hurrah and Hand of death, easier to pick forthcoming eureka release when don`t have them already in shelf.

I think subs were great at eureka OUATIC 1 and 2  but was prepared to it as in other forum there was talk about it..

I do not wonder anymore why some subtitle translations of scandianvian shaws use strong language, obviously celestials were much nicer(avoiding strong words) than direct from original lanuage.

I grew up watching these films with sanitised subs and dubs just like everyone else. 

The strength and volume of strong language took me by surprise as well. 

City Hunter and Project A had none (not surprising, really) but the China series had quite a few between them. 

And it's not just modern films. 

Hand of Death has several uses of strong language. 

I feel it's my duty to translate as spoken rather than self-censor to match what we're used to. 

• Like 3

Welcome back, @Markgway

2 hours ago, Markgway said:

I grew up watching these films with sanitised subs and dubs just like everyone else. 

The strength and volume of strong language took me by surprise as well. 

Subtitles maybe, but were dubs actually that sanitised? I mean they weren't all like Kickboxer Robocop, but still it feels almost as if every kung fu movie dub had the line "you bastard" in there.

1 hour ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

Welcome back, @Markgway

Subtitles maybe, but were dubs actually that sanitised? I mean they weren't all like Kickboxer Robocop, but still it feels almost as if every kung fu movie dub had the line "you bastard" in there.

It was extremely rare to hear any strong language in an old school kung fu movie; someone recently mentioned Legend of a Fighter being such an example. 

If you listen to the original Hand of Death dub there's no f-words, but the Mandarin track has several. 

Bastard is considered pretty mild (and thus uncontentious) in most countries. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Markgway said:

It was extremely rare to hear any strong language in an old school kung fu movie; someone recently mentioned Legend of a Fighter being such an example. 

If you listen to the original Hand of Death dub there's no f-words, but the Mandarin track has several. 

Allow me two questions here: are you fluent in Cantonese (and in this particular case: in Putonghua) ?

And... you're not that Markgway, or are you?

10 hours ago, Sheng said:

Allow me two questions here: are you fluent in Cantonese (and in this particular case: in Putonghua) ?

And... you're not that Markgway, or are you?

No and yes. 

1 hour ago, Markgway said:

No and yes. 

Yes, what ? That you are not " our " Markgway ?

Or, yes, you are the ancient member of this forum called Markgway ?

It would be so strange that two different people use the same alias years after one another...

On 2/21/2019 at 12:04 PM, Markgway said:

I lean toward the literal with my translations and sometime native speakers will find my words over-literal. 

I strenuously try to avoid re-writing the dialogue in my own words or being loose with the meanings. 

I don't claim perfection - how could I? - but I didn't realise anyone had take such a negative view of my work. 

Constructive criticism - no matter how brutal - is welcome. 

Please list more examples of flawed translations and I'll do my best to explain them... if I can.

A "no"... for the first question, is that what you're sayin'?

But how do you do "translations" then? Or do you mean you straighten out / correct

existing but deeply flawed subs?

6 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Yes, what ? That you are not " our " Markgway ?

Or, yes, you are the ancient member of this forum called Markgway ?

It would be so strange that two different people use the same alias years after one another...

Yes, I'm the ancient member of the forum that was/is Markgway.  

There can be only one... 

6 hours ago, Sheng said:

A "no"... for the first question, is that what you're sayin'?

But how do you do "translations" then? Or do you mean you straighten out / correct

existing but deeply flawed subs?

No, I'm not fluent in Chinese. 

I just found that I was pretty good at translating when dabbling with my own fan projects. 

I volunteered my services to Eureka when it transpired that they intended to use whatever Chinglish scripts Fortune Star were giving them

and weren't interested in paying for "a professional" to do new ones.

I start my translations from scratch.

If they're the same in any part to previous translations it's pure coincidence. 

The only time I've "borrowed" was for the Russian dialogue in OUATIC 3 (as I couldn't find anyone who spoke that language). 

• Like 9

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:15 AM, Markgway said:

Would you say, Hand of Death was typical in terms of its use of strong language (in Mandarin) when compared with the other kung fu movies of that era?

On 2/27/2019 at 7:52 PM, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

Would you say, Hand of Death was typical in terms of its use of strong language (in Mandarin) when compared with the other kung fu movies of that era?

I'm sure there are others with strong language.

In terms of volume or frequency it's difficult to say if HAND is typical without actually comparing. 

Have many of you got Wheels on Meals yet? My amazon order is due any day. I'm expecting another good job on the release from Eureka, does anybody have any first impressions?

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Wow, looking at the back cover listing of the special features that @Graysman posted!

Eureka is really doing a great job with these. Such a fantastic looking release, totally hooked up and seemingly worthy of these Jackie Chan classics. I'll definitely be picking this up. I wanted to pre-order it, but it just wasn't in the budget this month. Soon though... soon... 🤓

So far I got their releases of POLICE STORY 1 & 2, IRON MONKEY, the ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA set, and CITY HUNTER.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Wow, looking at the back cover listing of the special features that @Graysman posted!

Eureka is really doing a great job with these. Such a fantastic looking release, totally hooked up and seemingly worthy of these Jackie Chan classics. I'll definitely be picking this up. I wanted to pre-order it, but it just wasn't in the budget this month. Soon though... soon... 🤓

So far I got their releases of POLICE STORY 1 & 2, IRON MONKEY, the ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA set, and CITY HUNTER.

The quality on this is top notch and all the sound tracks you could possibly want for me easily 9/10 just a shame no commentary other than that it just gets better and better from EUREKA roll on now the Sammo Hung Blu ray releases from Eureka cannot wait.

• Like 2