The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

17 minutes ago, andy338 said:

I think the 4000 copies refers to the limited edition with the slipcase & booklet.

Oops. Yeah...you're right.

Wow, Wheels on Meals is currently the 'Best Seller in Blu-ray' on amazon.co.uk 

It is the same Wheels on Meals as the 1980s HK movie right? 😁

wom.png

• Like 3

Abit disappointed  with  project a collection  i bought it just for project a part 2 with classic english dub. The classic english dub is only available to hear on a poorer  quality standard definition version of film. What's the point ,if not adding classic english dubs to superior quality version.   i can not see why  fortune star should  really stop them adding to main film . they allowed the bad boring  newer english dub on it.  if this continues will be abit daft. 

20 minutes ago, martiallaw said:

Abit disappointed  with  project a collection  i bought it just for project a part 2 with classic english dub. The classic english dub is only available to hear on a poorer  quality standard definition version of film. What's the point ,if not adding classic english dubs to superior quality version.   i can not see why  fortune star should  really stop them adding to main film . they allowed the bad boring  newer english dub on it.  if this continues will be abit daft. 

The Classic English dub for Project A part 2 was only for the shorter international version.

There is no longer version of the dub that could have been used for the new scan.

This is why it's only included on the standard definition version.

I always try to source the original Classic English dub for the new scans whenever possible. :)

• Like 4

Master with OK Fingers
2 hours ago, martiallaw said:

Other than VHS, I don't know of another release with the original dub? So even if it isn't the dogs bollocks copy, you still have a much better than VHS copy of the film with O/D to enjoy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Irongod2112 said:

The Classic English dub for Project A part 2 was only for the shorter international version.

There is no longer version of the dub that could have been used for the new scan.

This is why it's only included on the standard definition version.

I always try to source the original Classic English dub for the new scans whenever possible. :)

All they needed to do was use the classic english dub for most of  film and use bad english dub to fill in rest or chinese with english subtitles. Like most companys do. That is better solution than sticking it on an inferior version. . Only  7 mins differences and most of that is opening recap of original film .  A bit of a  mistep for me. whats gonna happen when they do young master?.

i am most interested in the classic english dub but they really need to find of way  of sticking  them on  the superior versions. Other than that doing a good job on remastering.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, martiallaw said:

All they needed to do was use the classic english dub for most of  film and use bad english dub to fill in rest or chinese with english subtitles. Like most companys do. That is better solution than sticking it on an inferior version. . Only  7 mins differences and most of that is opening recap of original film .  A bit of a  mistep for me. whats gonna happen when they do young master?.

i am most interested in the classic english dub but they really need to find of way  of sticking  them on  the superior versions. Other than that doing a good job on remastering.

Sorry if the original classic dub is shorter than the HK version it will only be in standard def version if available.

In the case of Young Master if Eureka picks this up we will probably include the shorter HD version from the Japanese release that uses the English dub.

In a perfect world we could edit the longer versions down and include the shorter version in HD but Eureka is not allowed to edit the new scans.

Like Drunken Monk said can't please everyone but I do try. :)

Edited by Irongod2112
  • Like 6

Just watched OUATIC and thought the remastered 4k print looked great. So nice to have an HD copy of this film with the original mono soundtrack. Have seen this film many times but this was one of my most enjoyable and rewarding watches. This was the first time I realised quite how dark it is in places, you could say almost apocalyptic in tone. Tsui Hark directs some of this like a horror movie. Unfortunately I've not seen his early movies like Dangerous Encounters but maybe that's something carried over from that part of his career.... 

It struck me how multi layered it felt, Fei Hung's crisis in attempting to hold onto traditions in the face of impending modernity struck a chord, beautifully conveyed with the analogy of Kung Fu's uselessness in the face of a gun. 

This is a masterpiece of HK cinema. 

• Like 4

On 12/19/2018 at 5:33 PM, Irongod2112 said:

Hello everyone! :)

Some of you probably know by now I have been assisting Eureka with all the Hong Kong releases.

I hope you all have been enjoying the releases so far. :)

Alot of love is going into them that's for sure. I had originally planned to be more active in this thread, but it's always dead.

Hopefully with the announcement of the upcoming 2019 titles it will get more active in here. :)

Here is what is currently confirmed for 2019

Wheels on Meals

Hand of Death/Last Hurrah for Chivalry (box set)

Eastern Condors/Magnificent Butcher/Iron Fisted Monk

Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain

I have already been working on getting the best quality original language audio tracks & making sure we get them classic English dubs on all the upcoming releases.

New English subtitle translations are being worked on as well.

Feel free to post or PM me questions.

As always if anyone here wants to contribute or help on the upcoming releases or have any suggestions please feel free to PM me. :)

Always looking for HK laserdisc audio even if it's not listed as an upcoming Eureka title.

So if anyone has a large HK laserdisc collection and can rip audio please contact me.

I'm currently looking for the rare Japanese laserdisc for Magnificent Butcher so if anyone has this please PM me.

Just pre-ordered WOM :D 

There is an original English dubbed version of "Hand of Death" on the Deltamac DVD print.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, muppetdanny said:

Just pre-ordered WOM :D 

There is an original English dubbed version of "Hand of Death" on the Deltamac DVD print.

Hand of Death will have the classic English dub. :)

• Like 3

On 1/11/2019 at 7:53 PM, Irongod2112 said:

Sorry if the original classic dub is shorter than the HK version it will only be in standard def version if available.

In the case of Young Master if Eureka picks this up we will probably include the shorter HD version from the Japanese release that uses the English dub.

In a perfect world we could edit the longer versions down and include the shorter version in HD but Eureka is not allowed to edit the new scans.

Whats stopping you putting  the classic english dub on main full lengh film and filling in rest with cantonese and english subtitles? not bothered about open credits change etc.  . classic english dub is always best option for alot of  non  chinese speaking people.  Same with young master. that would be best idea for me. . But at least young master will be hd  .  Young master extra bits are mainly fight scenes so don't see problem with adding it to full lengh version  also . The new english dubs spoilt most hkl  releases for me as the comedy value was lost. 

Project a part 2  for instance  is far better and funnier with older english dub. I have to watch an inferior  dvd quality print with it which is a pity. 

• Like 1

Criterion's Police Story 1/2 has the following features:

SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
- New 4K digital restorations of Police Story and Police Story 2
- Alternate 5.1 surround and English-dubbed soundtracks for both films
- Hong Kong–release version of Police Story 2, presented in a high-definition digital transfer for the first time
- New programs on Chan’s screen persona and action-filmmaking techniques featuring author and New York Asian Film Festival cofounder Grady Hendrix
- Archival interviews with Chan and actor and stuntman Benny Lai
- Television program from 1964 detailing the rigors of Peking-opera training, akin to the education that Chan received as a child
- Chan stunt reel
- Trailers
- New English subtitle translations
- More!
- PLUS: An essay by critic Nick Pinkerton

They are decidedly different from what Eureka has. These focus more on Chan as an individual, and Eureka's are more about the films themselves. Neither approach is better or worse, so it's worth getting the Criterion ones for the extras alone, as- unless Criterion somehow gets permission to do better colour grading, which I doubt- Eureka's will be the clear winner from a PQ/AQ perspective.

• Like 4

I’m about halfway through OUATIC and it’s funny. While it’s the best the film has ever looked, it makes it a LOT easier to spot Jet Li’s doubles. I can’t believe I hadn’t noticed them before.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I’m about halfway through OUATIC and it’s funny. While it’s the best the film has ever looked, it makes it a LOT easier to spot Jet Li’s doubles. I can’t believe I hadn’t noticed them before.

Also the bald cap Yuen Biao wears! No wonder they got him to cover his head with cloth for most of the film haha.

On 12/20/2018 at 3:12 PM, Irongod2112 said:

As long as there are no legal issues I plan to have Eureka include the Eastern Condors stage show as an extra. :)

Sammo is my absolute favorite so I did tell Eureka to pick up the following when the new scans are done & made available.

Encounters of the Spooky Kind

Prodigal Son

Warriors Two

Millionaires Express

Knockabout

So support the current releases and we will get more titles like this. :)

I desperately need all of those plus:

THE VICTIM

THE MAGNIFICENT BUTCHER

ODD COUPLE

THE IRON-FISTED MONK

ENCOUNTER OF THE SPOOKY KIND 2

SKINNY TIGER & FATTY DRAGON

Any thoughts on those?

And, thank you SO MUCH for your efforts sir!!!

Edited by WaverBoy

On 1/25/2019 at 2:12 AM, DragonClaws said:

The picture looks astoundingly good, and apparently the original English dub is included along with the special hybrid Cantonese language soundtrack with the English dub music that originally appeared on a release by the service that shall not be named (I'm still wondering how that was achieved!).  I may just have to upgrade!

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
37 minutes ago, WaverBoy said:

I desperately need all of those plus:

THE VICTIM

THE MAGNIFICENT BUTCHER

ODD COUPLE

THE IRON-FISTED MONK

ENCOUNTER OF THE SPOOKY KIND 2

SKINNY TIGER & FATTY DRAGON

Any thoughts on those?

And, thank you SO MUCH for your efforts sir!!!

Not all of those are Golden Harvest, but I do believe there are HD masters for Odd Couple and Skinny Tiger avaliable in Japan.

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:53 PM, Irongod2112 said:

Is it not possible to do composite/hybrid English dubs? By mostly using the original English dub, but using the newer English dub to make up for what's missing? 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Not all of those are Golden Harvest, but I do believe there are HD masters for Odd Couple and Skinny Tiger avaliable in Japan.

There are, yes. The BD-R of Odd Couple (in the initial DVD/BD-R release) had (not great) English subs, and decent (if rough) original mono. Can't speak for the latter standalone BD release, but it may be a port. 

As for Skinny Tiger, Fatty Dragon: The BD-R/DVD combo release featured English subtitles of a similar quality to that of Odd Couple, but only a 5.1 track. The standalone BD release additionally featured a downmix of the 5.1 track. I'm referring to Cantonese tracks, of course. I think both films contained Japanese dubs, too. 

Seeing as Mei Ah closed down recently-ish (did all of their departments close?), I'm wondering what the rights situation of those two would be. Assuming Mei Ah or their parent company had the rights around the time of the HD masters, that is. 

Would be good for Eureka to get either of these. Isn't The Victim owned by Warners, somehow? I'm sure it's in that list of Golden Harvest titles that Warner have the rights to, despite not being a GH-produced title. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 5:06 AM, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

Is it not possible to do composite/hybrid English dubs? By mostly using the original English dub, but using the newer English dub to make up for what's missing? 

It's possible but not likely these are not fan releases so there could be rights issues.

I always do my best to provide the original Classic English dubs whenever possible. :)

• Like 3

Ok everyone I need your help!! :)

If anyone has the Deltamac DVDs of the following listed below please PM me.

Now no worries, I have already secured quality original mono tracks I just want to check these out to be 100% sure I have the absolute best! :)

Magnificent Butcher

Iron Fisted Monk

Eastern Condors

Edited by Irongod2112

1 hour ago, Irongod2112 said:

It's possible but not likely these are not fan releases so there could be rights issues.

It is something fans would appreciate, and perhaps something to consider, logistics permitting...

1 hour ago, Irongod2112 said:

I always do my best to provide the original Classic English dubs whenever possible. :)

It is good work by you and Eureka. :BL-GoodJob:

It's the first time in a while for a lot of these movies to be (officially) released with classic English dubs, and possibly the first time ever for a lot of them to allow the viewer to pick the version/cut, in a single release. :)

For me personally having grown up with mostly the HKL versions. I hadn't heard a lot of the classic dubs in there entirety before. Nor had I seen how the international versions were edited/cut. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing how the international version of Zu Warriors actually plays out. Seems as though that version makes a significant change to the narrative.  

• Like 2